Thread: Bullfrog feeding

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Bullfrog feeding

I heard that giving frogs too many mice can cause blindness by build up of something on the frogs retina. I think its true because so many different people have said its true. It is much cheaper feeding large prey items because a large mouse is like 50p (0.78 USD) and was wondering if there is any large prey items that dont cause blindness like the mice. Obviously I wouldnt be feeding him these things all the time (mabey once a week) and on the other nights I will feed crickets, worms, waxworms, locusts, roaches and mealworms. For example my local pet store sells chicks, gerbils, baby rabbits, rats, hamsters, fish and other things like that. Do these things cause blindness.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Bullfrog feeding

Quote Originally Posted by Truffs1178 View Post
    I heard that giving frogs too many mice can cause blindness by build up of something on the frogs retina. I think its true because so many different people have said its true. It is much cheaper feeding large prey items because a large mouse is like 50p (0.78 USD) and was wondering if there is any large prey items that dont cause blindness like the mice. Obviously I wouldnt be feeding him these things all the time (mabey once a week) and on the other nights I will feed crickets, worms, waxworms, locusts, roaches and mealworms. For example my local pet store sells chicks, gerbils, baby rabbits, rats, hamsters, fish and other things like that. Do these Gthings cause blindness.
    Yes. It is called Cornial Lipidosis. It is caused from excess fat deposites that build up behind the cornia.

Not to be confused with cloudy eye which is normaly caused by an eye infection or dirty housing conditions especially dirty water.

Rodents do not need to be offered at all. It is not necessary and just because it is cheaper doesn't mean it will be in the long run if your frog becomes ill and you have to pay Vet bills. Rodents should be fed no more than once a month. Night Crawlers are the best food to offer. The are highly nutritious and easily digested. You can order them in bulk from Speedyworms.com. As long as they remain refrigerated the last for many weeks. Hornworms(Goliath Worms) are expensive, but get very large. The are a caterpilar that can grow from 1" to 4" in a week and a half. GreatLakesHornworm.com is a good place to check out as well.

If you plan of using mice at all buy the prekilled frozen ones. Much safer for the frog and more humane.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Bullfrog feeding

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    ... You can order them in bulk from Speedyworms.com...
    Here is correct link: Buy live leeches, worms online, Speedy Worm - Wholesale Worms, Nightcrawlers & Leeches .

You can also get sausage casings online and make your own frog feeder sausages. If you search forum, there are a couple threads that discuss them.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information