Thread: White's Tree Frog Sick! Please Help!

angel10252

Default White's Tree Frog Sick! Please Help!

Hello I have a White's tree frog and he is very sick. His name is Willie. For the last month, he's just been going downhill, he has gotten very lazy and never really reacts to anything. I have a second Whites in the same cage with him, but he is acting fine. And he comes out to hunt every night, he's perfect. But my other baby, he just sits there mostly, he does come out to get in his water dish, but he is also shedding often. His skin has turned and stayed brown for the most part, but around his sides he is green/blue but he has brown spots all over his sides. They are the same color as his back though. He stays in his cave mostly except for about every 2 days I'll catch a glimpse of him in his water bowl. And he keeps his closed a lot even when I hold him it takes awhile before he will open his eyes after being messed with. And his eyes have stayed dilated black. And plus he hasn't eaten in at least a week now. I'm getting really worried. And I haven't found any poop at all from him, only poop from his smaller tank mate. He's too big for Willie to eat. I do have a separate tank in case I need to quarantine them. But here is some info about them and their tank.

Willie is about 3 1/2 years old I got him when was about 6 to 8 months old.
    Nelson my other frog, I got about 3 months ago, he is about a year old maybe a little younger.
    They don't mind each other at all, I even have a pic of them sharing their water bowl.
    They are in a 18x18x24 zoo med tank. With a 60 watt daytime bulb, and a night time light that's purple, I'm not sure the wattage. Its to help keep them warm at night.
    I use repti safe in their water
    They have two water bowls in case they want to be separate
    They have crickets to eat, and mealworms which I am going to stop feeding mealworms because I heard its hard on their tummies.
    Nelson hunts every night for his dinner and eats till he's full, but Willie I have seen eat maybe 3 mealworms in the last week and a half.
    I dust the crickets with calcium dust also.
    The temp in their tank stays about 73 to 75 and about 68 at night give or take a degree or 2.
    I have a repti fogger in their tank. I use it every day.
    And Willie is actually a girl, I just now realized I was referring to her as a him. But I always call her a boy, because her name was already Willie before I figured out he was a she.
    Nelson is a boy he croaks occasionally.
    I clean their water every night
    Clean their cage every week.
    I haven't really handled them unless I'm cleaning the cage which I do with warm froggie water.
    I just don't understand what's wrong.
    I've tried looking for vets around my area and there are none that I know of that treat herps
    So I'm just really worried, does anyone know how much it would cost to see a vet??
    I think I've covered everything. I tried to upload a picture of him with my tablet but it doesn't really show much, and it wont download. But I will try tomorrow with my laptop. And I also have another question, i've heard they can eat red wiggler earthworms?? Like can I get them at a bait shop? Are those ok if they are the right kind?? And I've heard they can eat wax worms but they can be high in fat? Can I keep them on a diet of earthworms and occasionally wax worms?? The crickets I can still feed occasionally but the shipping is just too much for me. And most of them die quickly, its driving me crazy. But thats the info I have, thank you soo much and please feel free to ask anything on any info you need on my froggies. Thank you soo much, please help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default White's Tree Frog Sick! Please Help!

I would raise the temps up a bit and mealworms aren't a stable diet. Earthworms are fine as long as there's no pesticides or dyes in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Tree Frog Sick! Please Help!

Hello and welcome to FF Angel. Well, I don't keep White's but can tell your enclosure temps are too low, specially the daytime. Can you raise them to 85F day and 75F night? Also, please take a look at this care article and ensure all their other needs are met: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea.

I would move Willie to a hospital tank set-up where you can monitor his activities (feeding/pooping) and give her Pedialyte baths (1 part unflavored Pedialyte to 10 parts 80F dechlorinated water) for 15-20 min. to see if she will perk up and eat.

Some tree frogs don't go for worms, but I would try with night crawlers (Walmart's sports section) and see if they will eat them. If you can get a poop sample, try contacting Dr. Frye and see if you can send to him for fecal (Milan Area Animal Hospital, David M. Frye, DVM, Veterinary services in Milan, MI, Home page). Good luck .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

5. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

angel10252

Thank you guys soo much, I'm about to go to the store, so I will pick up some pedialyte. And yes I think I can get the temps up in there. And Willie is heading to his hospital tank right now. And after his bath I will see if he will eat some earthworms, or nighcrawlers. I will give an update soon about how he's doing. Thank you so so much!

angel10252

Sadly, Willie passed away this morning. I've been bawling my eyes out all day, I tried everything I could think of. But I guess his little body just gave out. Thank y'all so much for all y'alls help and advice. I tried to give him multiple pedialyte baths and he just barely reacted. He kept trying to crawl out, and still wouldn't eat anything. I tried to hold it in front of him which is they way he use to eat. And today he just passed away and I woke up and saw him laying funny in his waterbowl, at first I thought he was the other frog Nelson, because he was so small. I just hope he wasnt in too much pain, I feel so awful. Thank you all soo much for all y'alls help, and for taking yime out of your day to try to help him. I cant thank you enough. I'm so sorry Willie. I love you soo soo much, he was like a dog or even a kid to me.

I'm so sorry for your loss I know it can be hard, you were a excellent froggy mommy and tried to help Willie as much as you could
    Rip Mr. Sticky 1-13-12 ~ 3-8-12
    Mr. Jelly

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I'm very sorry for your frog's death ! Please do raise temp's and observe the other one for any signs of trouble. Would still contact Dr. Frye and have the young frog's poop fecal test done just to be sure it's parasite free. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information