Thread: Housing small frog species, question

BugBoy99

Default Housing small frog species, question

Hello Everyone,

How are you?

Many of you have read, and commented upon, my thread detailing my rearing attempts of various native frog species. I have had great successes with that, but now I'm ready to move on to actually keeping some frogs. All three the species that I am interested in are small, secretive species that do not require a lot of space.

My question is, how do I calculate a floor space for the frogs? I keep reading about volume, but I'm in need of an area size. This is merely because the frogs that I am interested in are purely terrestrial, and a 40 cm high vivarium will be wasted on them. So, I am looking into three species: Boettger's dainty frog, Cacosternum boettgeri , the Bush Squeaker, Arthroleptis wahlbergi, and the Snoring Puddle Frog, Phrynobatrachus natalensis. These are, in order of size, 19 mm SVL for the Bush Squeaker. 25 mm SVL for the Dainty Frog, and 40 mm SVL for the Puddle Frog.

Any suggestions on how to calculate the tank's floor area would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Joh

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Housing small frog species, question

Since these are rare in frog hobby and care sheets are scant to none; we need to get creative. Would take into consideration their mature size and life habits to develop own data.

For Cacosternum boettgeri it grows to an inch and according to this, is a pretty active widepread frog. So would match to similar size little active frogs an presume we need around a 10G (or similar) for 2 or a 20L for 4. A grassland type set-up with large water dish or 25% water/75% land would be a good start for them.

Arthroleptis wahlbergi is smaller still, at around .75 in and likes to live on leaf litter so a 5G or similar should do for couple and maybe a 10G for 3. Little forest set-up with water dish should be fine AmphibiaWeb - Arthroleptis wahlbergii .

Phrynobatrachus natalensis is the bigger one at 1.5 in. but still a little frog. Think a 15G or similar is fine for 2 and a 20L for 3-4. Same set-up as for the Dainty should do OK Phrynobatrachus natalensis (Natal Dwarf Puddle Frog) .

Hope you have access to lot of termites because that is their staple diet. If not could try FFs and ants. The Puddle can eat other bugs due to it's size. Please be aware I have no knowledge of their social behavior in an enclosure and not sure if can keep them in groups or not. Good luck and share pics with us of your set-ups once get them going .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Thread Information