Thread: Frogs and Travel

NewToFrogs2013

Default Frogs and Travel

Hey guys I've been debating about getting a Pacman frog for a while and have been doing a bit of research on them, the one thing I have a concern about is that I am moving in about 8 months, I will be driving for about 2 days and staying in a hotel overnight for 1 night. Has anyone experienced travel and how did you travel with your frog? I really don't want to just wait until I move to get my frog. The only other frog I was thinking of was the Fire Belly Toad, which I've heard are fairly easy to take care of environment wise, which it seems like the Pacman frog has a very specific environment to keep.

Thanks for the help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frogs and Travel

welcome to the forum!

well, it depends on a few things, you can maintain needed environment in a car, but you'll need big styrofoam box and car adapter. it will also depend on what is temps outside when you travel, because you can keep temps under control in any weather in a car, but when you stop if too hot outside it will become very hot inside very very fast. so say it is ok temps outside, not too cold, not too hot. If your styro box is big enough to hold the whole enclosure, then you can just put it in and close the lid, if the box is smaller then you can set up a frog inside ( with a substrate, etc). plug your heating device in a controller and a car adapter, so it would maintain proper temps, and of course you'll need to spray to maintain proper humidity. when placing everything, make sure you have nothing that can shift and hurt a frog, if you put smaller enclosure in a box make sure it can't shift either. that's about it. in a hotel you take the whole box in and plug heating in.
    basically the idea is to keep a frog in a constant proper environment, styro box will help you with that as well it is dark so a frog won't be stressing out much.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! Lija got you pretty covered, just want to add couple things. Even if you get a baby now, in 8 months it will be a pretty large Pacman. I would not try to fit a large tank 10 gal. tank or enclosure in styrofoam box. Rather would get an ExoTerra Breeding Box (small or medium) and fill it to frogs chin with fresh and lightly damp shredded coco fiber. That would go inside the styrofoam insulation box with nothing other than substrate or frog (no decor or water dish). Wedge it in with packing material so container is not flopping around inside box. Would also make couple 1/4 in. holes in box lid for ventilation.

8 months from now is February, and that could mean extreem cold outside if you are in Northern areas. A car parked while you eat/etc. could drop temps really quick. If driving alone, do short stops and eat in car with engine running to maintain it warm. If with company; keep engine running with a person in car and take turns at stops to go out. If weather is not a problem (driving in South) then it's not that important but cars do cool fast in below zero weather.

Once at motel room, take breeder box out and place into enclosure. Then plug in heat and spray if required. Beware of drafts of any kind during travel. Would not feed frog during whole transfer; the less you tax it's biological systems the better. Can offer food again next night after set-up at new location. A plastic cup with night crawlers from Walmart can fit in styrofoam box too and that way you arrive with frog food to new location. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol well may be a big box that you could fit the whole thing exist lol but Carlos you're right, i didn't realize that by then it is going to be a big frog and a tank might be 10 gal. but if it is like 5 gal tank i can fit it easily in my travel box.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information