Thread: What is your own view on feeding rodents to ABFs and what do you feed yours on?

Eridu Serpent

Default What is your own view on feeding rodents to ABFs and what do you feed yours on?

My personal view is it is ok to feed your ABF a rodent once a month or once in a blue moon if you want to.
    But I choose not to, as I feel they are unhealthy.
    I prefer feeding a varied gut filled insect diet to mine so I know they will not suffer from constipation.

Many people seem to do it to simply make their frogs fatter...faster.
    I believe a good owner does not care if their frog is large, that they care instead if they are growing at the correct rate.

I feed mine grasshoppers, crickets, honey worms (within reason) snails with the shell on, red earth worms, king worms (within reason,
    meal worms and dubia roaches (the odd hisser now and then), I have used guppy fish now and then if I can get them.
    I feed them every other day, at night, though sometimes they choose not to eat so I leave them be.
    Normally feeding time is around 15 mins in duration, but if they leave a long gap between each thing then I give them a little more time.
    They are fed in a separate container apart from one another. Goober my male will turn away when he is finished. Pickle the female would eat for ages if allowed, she is just a fatty.

What and how do you feed yours?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Eridu Serpent

Default Re: What is your own view on feeding rodents to ABFs and what do you feed yours on?

I know in the wild a ABF would eat a rat or a mouse etc they will eat what ever food source is available to them which makes sense, they have no conscience about what is good or bad for them and will not seek out healthier foods. But that does not mean they do suffer for it, fatty foods, harder to digest foods are as we know a cause of health issues in domestic pets . A wild ABF gets more exercise and has to use much more of its energy resources unlike our pets, who sit happily in a tank, which is perfect environmentally for them and fed when needed. Pets do not have to do anything so their food digests slower and sits in the gut longer. Wild ABFs have to in most cases search for food, move around trying to find the perfect areas to keep warm or cool, fight other ABFs for dominance (if male), seek out females etc etc They move a bout. This is why I do not feed them to mine.

Nationality
    [France]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What is your own view on feeding rodents to ABFs and what do you feed yours on?

I feed mine with Dubia Roaches, nightcrawlers, adult locusts and 1 mice per month.
    As she spends 90% of the year time under the substrate, that means in fact one mice per year

PS : you say that with insects, there is no risk of contipation....My Pyxie is constipated, even with 90% of insects as food.
    I am not sure that Dubia roaches for example don't create constipation due to the chitin
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Thread Information