Thread: Was she eaten?

rjm2653

Default Was she eaten?

I have (had) 2 american green tree frogs one male and one female. The female was new only had her not even a day. Shes was a little less that half his size, he was barking at her for a while. Whats the chance that he ate her? I have seen her in 2 days and cant find her anywhere after moving plants etc. Im pretty sure she didnt get out. never had an escape before, plus my top is weighed down with lights.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Was she eaten?

A flashlight sometimes helps find and elusive frog inside enclosure. Still, if one frog is "little less" than half the other in size and can fit in its mouth, there is a possibility it was eaten .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Was she eaten?

It is possible. They are great hiders though. Peek on the backs of all of the leaves. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Do you bowl feed? You can try putting their food/crickets in a 1 1/2" or taller clear glass bowl and they will eat from the bowl. See if she comes out. If not... .

Good luck! I hope she's just hiding.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

If possible, get someone else to search the tank.

I would also remove the larger one to a temporary tank at this point. It will be easier to monitor the tank for changes made by the little frog if it's still alive and in case the little one hasn't been eaten but is small enough to be eaten, it will prevent any future problems. Also check the contents of any fecal matter that the big one produces, I'd expect bones might make their way through.

Hyla cinerea don't have a big reputation as cannibals, but it does apparently happen. There is a report of a 40mm frog eating a 20mm one and then regurgitating the little one after it was handled. You can read about it in this link but be warned it includes the disturbing picture of the event occuring https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/hoebel/w...42(1)85-86.pdf

maxQ

I went through the same thing, I swore my male got out, I used a flash light and magnify glass and I finally located him just hanging out between two rocks. Good Luck

Thread Information