Thread: White's Tree Frog w/Worms

Default White's Tree Frog w/Worms

Hello everyone! I'm a fairly new White's owner after having him dumped on me by my mom after her eviction, but I've come to love my new baby for sure! I noticed about 2 weeks ago that he had developed a lump, if you will, on his back. I immediately hit google and came to the conclusion that he had a parasite. I took him to a herp vet, because I am blessed enough to have one locally, and he said he didn't see anything to suggest a parasite after aspirating the mass and suspected neoplasia. We scheduled for surgery immediately and proceeded as normal. Well, today, he went in for surgery, and in fact, did have worms under his skin. The doctor said he was unsure about what type of worm, but that it was a nematode and he wasn't sure about medications as he said normally dewormers in amphibs are usually only effective if they are in the gastrointestinal system. So here I am, does anyone have experience with this? I'm very attached to him now, and would like to give him the best shot possible.

Thanks in advance,

Kaylee

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Tree Frog w/Worms

Hello and welcome to FF ! If vet removed the worms, cleaned wound, and administered or prescribed antibiotics to prevent possible infection; then next step would be to observe wound and make sure it heals OK. Here is link to their care article and good luck with recovery: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

4. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yes I have had the same thing on one of my whites and it was a tapeworm.
    after they removed it quite simply by using a needle to make a incision and small tweezers
    The wound healed quickly. I kept her in a hospital tank with paper towels.
    and the vet prescribed a broad spectrum anti parasitic bath every 15 days.
    for 3 treatments and that did the trick.

Sorry I don't remember the name of the drug.
    But I will try to find out later.

6. This member thanks Louis Charles Bruckner for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post
    Yes I have had the same thing on one of my whites and it was a tapeworm.
    after they removed it quite simply by using a needle to make a incision and small tweezers
    The wound healed quickly. I kept her in a hospital tank with paper towels.
    and the vet prescribed a broad spectrum anti parasitic bath every 15 days.
    for 3 treatments and that did the trick.

Sorry I don't remember the name of the drug.
    But I will try to find out later.
    I REALLY appreciate the reply! If you could find out so I could consult with his doctor, that would be amazing. He went in today and had a injection of a dewormer, which I am doing at 2 week intervals for 3 treatments until his suture removal. His incision was pretty large because the doctor was thinking it was going to be a growth removal. He said he removed all the worms he could find, but that it could reoccur over and over?

Hopefully for him it will be less traumatic next time if it reoccurs. If only I could keep him calm to heal now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello and welcome to FF ! If vet removed the worms, cleaned wound, and administered or prescribed antibiotics to prevent possible infection; then next step would be to observe wound and make sure it heals OK. Here is link to their care article and good luck with recovery: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea .
    He did administer an injectable antibiotic so that I wouldn't have to traumatize him at home by administering medication. He's in a very bare tank as directed by the doctor with only paper towels, water, and a small place to hide. He's quite the adventurer, so it's been interesting already! Thank you so much for your reply and the welcome!

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You are most welcome,
    I will contact the vet later today and get the info.
    I wish your little one the best and a quick recovery.

Nationality
    [Canada]

all i have to say, you have a VERY good herp vet and I would do exactly what s/he suggested, don't look for other suggestions as it might mess up what your vet started.

additional dewormers are not needed simply because these types of worms don't appear in big quantities, a frog was unfortunate enough to get infected, it got removed, end of story. It won't reoccur don't worry. dewormer that you use just in case a frog has other types of worms and for sure it won't hurt to get rid of them all. Your vet was right saying frog dewormers are affective for digestive tract parasites, in fact it would end very badly for a frog having medicated bath and having parasite under it's skin or it was I'm sure in cyst in his muscles.
    I can bet that frog was WC.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

11. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Thread Information