Thread: New to frogs?! Have a few questions.

Lil Krystal

Default New to frogs?! Have a few questions.

Hi!

I'm new to frogs. I recently got given 3 baby green tree frogs.
    I am just curious to how often should I be feeding them? They are tiny no bigger than my thumb nail.
    I have been feeding them a few pin head crickets every day.

The middle sized frog (Jocky) has gotten very fat over the past few days and the other two look kind of skinny. I'm worried he is eating all there food. Should I pop him a container whilst I make sure the other two get a decent feed? Please see attachment below

Another question The bigger frog out of the 3 (Reptar) is significantly bigger than the other two and I want to know should I be feeding him extra or bigger crickets?

The Tiniest frog (Beatrise) is a very dark shade of green. while the other two are alot brighter. Is this normal? I keep worrying he/she may be sick.

Please help me out because I love my little frogs and want to give them the best care and keep them healthy happy frogs
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Hi there!!!!

Welcome.
    Color variation in tree frogs is normal, as long they are eating they are probably fine. Baby frogs need a constant supply of food, make sure there is plenty at all times. What you may consider fat is normal for tree frogs also. I hope this helps a little. Make sure they have access to clean water. You will want to lay some moss down and a few sticks for them to climb on, they need to get off of them rocks.

scribbles

Default Re: New to frogs?! Have a few questions.

As for feeding, every day should be fine. You can put them in separate containers for feeding to ensure they all get their share. Pinhead crickets and flightless fruit flies are good food sources. As long as the darker frog is eating well and not lethargic, I wouldn't worry about it being a little darker. If one is significantly bigger than the others, you could feed it more. I don't recommend keeping them on fish gravel, as they could accidentally swallow it when hunting. What temperature are you keeping the enclosure at, and what is their tank set-up like?

Kurt

Default Re: New to frogs?! Have a few questions.

You have gotten very good advice thus far, but check out the White's treefrog care article. In Australia you call them green treefrogs, but the rest of the world call them White's treefrogs. The article expalin why.

Lil Krystal

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    Welcome.
    Color variation in tree frogs is normal, as long they are eating they are probably fine. Baby frogs need a constant supply of food, make sure there is plenty at all times. What you may consider fat is normal for tree frogs also. I hope this helps a little. Make sure they have access to clean water. You will want to lay some moss down and a few sticks for them to climb on, they need to get off of them rocks.
    That's good then! I was a bit worried. I have been changing the water every day.I have been reading up and some sites say to use water condition and some say not to bother. What should I do? I have a 2 fake plant/tree things in there but you can't see in the photo. This may be a stupid question but where do I find moss?

Quote Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
    As for feeding, every day should be fine. You can put them in separate containers for feeding to ensure they all get their share. Pinhead crickets and flightless fruit flies are good food sources. As long as the darker frog is eating well and not lethargic, I wouldn't worry about it being a little darker. If one is significantly bigger than the others, you could feed it more. I don't recommend keeping them on fish gravel, as they could accidentally swallow it when hunting. What temperature are you keeping the enclosure at, and what is their tank set-up like?
    I have them in a little terrarium with 2 fake tree/plants and a little bowl of water. I plan to get a bigger tank as they grow bigger. What can I use other than moss for the ground?
    As for the temperature at night I've been keeping them near a 40w reptile night lamp and its been hot lately so during the day putting them outside on our patio (not in the sun)
    Should I invest in a heat pad? or just get a fish tank heater when I upgrade the tank? I keep hearing different things from different people and sites. Just want to know what’s the best way to look after them

Thank you for all your help!

Kurt

Use water conditioner.

Lil Krystal

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Use water conditioner.
    Done

scribbles

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Krystal View Post
    I have them in a little terrarium with 2 fake tree/plants and a little bowl of water. I plan to get a bigger tank as they grow bigger. What can I use other than moss for the ground?
    As for the temperature at night I've been keeping them near a 40w reptile night lamp and its been hot lately so during the day putting them outside on our patio (not in the sun)
    Should I invest in a heat pad? or just get a fish tank heater when I upgrade the tank? I keep hearing different things from different people and sites. Just want to know what’s the best way to look after them

Thank you for all your help!
    Make sure they have enough plants to hide in and climb. Either moss, paper towels, water, or coconut fiber soil (not my personal favorite, as it spoils quickly) will work for substrate. Low watt heat lamps will be fine for heating them, so would heat pads, but fish tank heaters are for aquariums, not terrariums. I use an infared reptile heat bulb for mine.

Thread Information