Thread: Questions about raising GrayTF tadpoles

Gentlemangorath

Default Questions about raising GrayTF tadpoles

So as many of you know I'm sure, the Gray Tree Frogs in NY have begun their breeding in our pools, so those lucky enough to get these visitors get to try and transfer them out and let them grow. This year I wanted to get some more Grays, and wanted to raise about 3-5 up from tadpoles. So i was going to do as I normally do, transfer them all to the kiddie pool next to the pool, and allow them to grow. So I'm wondering, should I remove some to raise seperately? Or should I wait for emerging froglets and raise some of those? I may have subsequent questions if I should raise some seperately, but I'll hold those off till I later.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Questions about raising GrayTF tadpoles

Hello Abraham! Not sure I'm reading your post right. You say want to raise 3-5 Grey Tree frogs from tads. Then you ask if you should do that, or wait for the froglets to emerge from pool. Guess as long as it's legal, it's your choice.

If you want to observe and care for the tadpoles and have the aquarium set-up required for that, it's OK. Also, if your family is going to put the pool in service; then moving them to a kiddie pool with water from where they are would be nice too.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Gentlemangorath

I apologize if I wasn't clear, I ramble and lose facts here and there. I have a pool outside, and the kiddie pool right next to it. When the frogs started using our pool for their breeding pond about 2-3 years ago, I began the tradition of moving the tadpoles from the big pool that we use to the kiddie pool for them to grow (so yes, that was the original plan all along). Now, this year I would like to get a couple of Grays to replace my first frogs I had ever had, these grays, but this time I wanted to do it humanely and take tadpoles instead of adults from the breeding population. Last year, all of the tadpoles developed in the kiddie pool, and me and my girlfriend would constantly go check on them, finding that some where sprouting legs, others had become full on froglets and were hanging on the sides, etc. So with this in mind, I was wondering if it would be better for me to raise 3-5 tadpoles in a separate tank in order to have the 3-5 I would like to have, or if it could be just as good an idea for me to allow the tadpoles to grow in the kiddie pool, then raise a couple of froglets.

I hope I was a bit more clear about it this time, I can honestly be awful at getting my point across. Also, this is all assuming that eggs have been laid in my pool. I actually just got home today, and didn't see any tadpoles on the surface of the pool cover, but they may be under it. I do know I found a Gray Tree Frog using the pool filter as a sleeping spot during the day, but that doesn't prove they've been getting jiggy in there . Anyway, thanks replying, always appreciated.

Gentlemangorath

Update; I've been seeing eggs in the pool, and this morning I believe that they have hatched and the tadpoles are in the stage where they stay attached to a surface (in this case, the side of the pool), until they develop further and begin swimming. Now all I need (aside from an entire set up if I'm raising the tadpoles myself) is an answer regarding whether my idea of taking some of the froglets from the kiddie pool is a viable one, or if I should remove the 3-5 tadpoles I want and raise them in a tank.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That would be up to you. I raised several two years ago, tads to frogs and watching them daily was a great experience. Out of 50 tads, 3 didin't make it out of tad stag, and 2 died just after leaving the water, the rest were released.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Thread Information