Thread: Best Pet Frogs (a Zookeeper's Picks)

findiviglio

Default Best Pet Frogs (a Zookeeper's Picks)

Many of the world’s nearly 6,000 frog species make wonderful pets that may live for 10, 20 or even 50 years. Among them we find creatures that glide, brood their eggs in vocal sacs, form lifelong pair bonds and exhibit other fascinating behaviors. While the smallest is barely as large as a pea, the nine-pound African Bullfrog can chase lions away from its tadpoles! Today I’d like to introduce some of my favorites, each of which is hardy enough for beginners yet so interesting that herpetologists – myself included – regularly keep them as pets. Please be sure to let me know about your own “best pet frogs” by posting below. Read more here Pet Frogs: the Best Species for Children and First Time Keepers

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

Thanks, Frank
    My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SweetApples

Default Re: Best Pet Frogs (a Zookeeper's Picks)

I'm going to look, thanks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have several different frogs and toads.

My favorite would have to be my Leptopelis uluguruensis. They are very cute and very easy to care for. They are WC imports. No one so far has any CB. They are difficult to breed and little is known about them.
    I love listening to the males call. They make a "clack clack" sound. However recently I've been hearing a much different call. It sort of sounds like a duck. They make this duck sound very fast and about 7 times in a row. I thought maybe this is their release call. But when I peek inside the tank, no one is in amplexus or anything. I have been trying to get a recording of it. But they stop as soon as I get my phone out lol.

I am also interested in Pedostibes hosii. I do not own these but would love to!

Another favorite is my American toads. They are neat and take to hand feeding rather quickly. I have bred them this year. However the first batch of eggs were infertile and I believe my female will not be gravid again until next year. So far both male and female seem to be out of the breeding mood.

findiviglio

Quote Originally Posted by SweetApples View Post
    I'm going to look, thanks.
    Enjoy, let me know uif you need anything, best, Frank

Nationality
    [Canada]

hey, what no waxies ( ph sauvagii ) on a list? probably the easiest to keep and fun too.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks for sharing the article. Here are two of my favorite species I'd definitely recommend to beginners.

I personally think Pacific Chorus frogs, and/or most species of Chorus frogs make relatively easy, and very fun pets. Their care is typically simple, they do not require huge accommodations, and they live quite a long time. Their calls are typically loud, but great to listen to. I do not think any are being captive bred yet, but if they are, I strongly recommend you buy from them instead of W/C sources.

My second off pick would be the American bullfrog. Other than the large tank sizes they require, large amounts of food, and sometimes aggressive nature these guys make incredible pets. They swim beautifully and gracefully, and yet are incredible hunters. Their coloration's are often fabulous, and another bonus to this species is how tolerant and hardy it is.

Just thought I'd offer my opinion.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Thread Information