Thread: Grey Tree Frog Eggs In My Pool!!

Tubby0512

Talking Grey Tree Frog Eggs In My Pool!!

Last night I had a thunder and lighting storm and I'm going to guess that's what the females needed to make their way to my pool. This morning I went out to check the pool and saw I had about 50-80 clusters of eggs. I gathered them all so my mom can open the pool. We made her wait until we had the eggs. (but she said she may not open the pool till June so I will have more time to gather more). They are Eastern Grey Tree Frog's for anyone who was curious on what type of Grey Tree Frog.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Grey Tree Frog Eggs In My Pool!!

50-80 clusters of eggs ? Wow Jessica that's a lot of frogs !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Tubby0512

My yard is a breeding ground for Grey Tree Frogs. I ave so many in my yard and its awesome. They laid more last night so I'm going to round them up today. Thunderstorm equals frog eggs. :P They are also friendly. They will let you pick them up and they will sit in your hand. When I say they I mean the wild ones.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

If I had such a natural resource in my back yard.
    I would put in a water feature in the yard and let the frogs have at it.
    And cover the pool until spawning season is over.
    I know covering the pool can be a $$$ but it will keep other nasties out during the winter thats if it is not a heated pool.

But alas the only thing I have in my back yard is the odor of a poor next door neighbor that keeps
    a pitbull and doesn't take care of it and the local animal control won't do anything about it.
    They only have recently bought a fence kennel because it started to break the chain.
    If you are sensitive to animal cruelty DO NOT FOLLOW THIS LINK!

Mmfh

I wish I had more than skunks in my yard lol, though I do think they are cute. How in the world are you going to raise that many tadpoles?

Tubby0512

I did it last year. Not all of them hatch. Not all of them make it to a baby frog. Not all baby frogs make it to adult hood. If I leave them in the pool they will NOT get a fighting chance. They will be killed from the pool chemicals that are going in soon. I have a 20 gallon tank that they stay in and I feed the tadpoles algae, fish food and whatever slimy stuff that is in my pool. If they were in my pool that what they would eat. Last year only about 50 tadpoles made it to baby frogs and I released all but 1. That one will be Tubby. I'm going to guess 100 tadpoles will hatch and about maybe 60 of them will make it to baby frogs. Also I split all the eggs with my sisters so not all of them will be crowed. Once they hatch I move them to tanks that are suitable for them if I want to keep them. Other than that I release them. I can't put the eggs in my pond because it dries up and about 500 bull frog tadpoles are stranded and I do the same for them when the water gets too low for them. I also have little fish in my pond that I recuse too but they come back every year. Not sure how that happens. all the fish in my pond dies if I didn't recuse them soon enough but they come back every year. Why?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post
    But alas the only thing I have in my back yard is the odor of a poor next door neighbor that keeps
    a pitbull and doesn't take care of it and the local animal control won't do anything about it.
    They only have recently bought a fence kennel because it started to break the chain.
    If you are sensitive to animal cruelty DO NOT FOLLOW THIS LINK!
    Ah, this is soooo heartbreaking and infuriating!
    I have a huge soft spot for pit bulls, and I actually spend a great deal of my spare time rescuing, fosterings, and rehabing pit bulls. Unfortunatley I see this exact thing all the time.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Gentlemangorath

Hey, I'm hoping for tadpoles in my pool so I can get some of my favorite frog, Grays, but at the moment it looks like my pool may very well be tadpole-less. Were you planning on raising them again? If so and depending on where in NY you are, I may actually ask if I could take some off your hands before they are re-released. This is a bit of a preemptive inquiry, but I really don't know if I'll have tadpoles in my pool this year, so I should start looking elsewhere for Grays.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby0512 View Post
    ..I also have little fish in my pond that I recuse too but they come back every year. Not sure how that happens. all the fish in my pond dies if I didn't recuse them soon enough but they come back every year. Why?
    Wow Jessica you are doing a great job helping the local Grey Tree frogs ! IRT those little "resuscitating" pond fish, do you know what are them or have any pics of them? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Tubby0512

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemangorath View Post
    Hey, I'm hoping for tadpoles in my pool so I can get some of my favorite frog, Grays, but at the moment it looks like my pool may very well be tadpole-less. Were you planning on raising them again? If so and depending on where in NY you are, I may actually ask if I could take some off your hands before they are re-released. This is a bit of a preemptive inquiry, but I really don't know if I'll have tadpoles in my pool this year, so I should start looking elsewhere for Grays.
    surer I can do that. but first I have to give some to a person I promised first.

Tubby0512

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Wow Jessica you are doing a great job helping the local Grey Tree frogs ! IRT those little "resuscitating" pond fish, do you know what are them or have any pics of them? Thank you !
    Some were perch(baby Perch), minnows, and a really shinny large minnows thing.

Thread Information