Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any aquarists here? I need some help...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default any aquarists here? I need some help...

I have a 10 gallon tank, about 2 years old.
    I will admit that I got the tank with very little knowledge of the biological filter, and how to maintain it.
    I will also admit that I didn't get very good advice at the lfs, so unfortunatley have lost a couple fish along the way....

Up until recently I had 5 glowlight tetras (down to 4):
    Hemigrammus erythrozonus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3 zebra snails:
    Neritina natalensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 albino pleco (about 4 inches long):
    Albino Plecostomus colorful tropical fish pictures

1 japanese algae eating shrimp:
    Petshrimp.com -- All about shrimp

3 Amazon Sword tail plants:
    Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Amazon Sword Aquarium Plant

I realize I'm overstocked (now), and never realized how large the pleco would get ! He was a little one of about 1.5 inches when I got him...

So here comes my question:
    One of the glowlight tetras died last week, I replace it with another which died one day later. I haven't replaced it yet, do I need to? The local lfs said I need 5 tetras for them to feel safe and secure.
    I tested my water:
    Zero Ammonia, Zero Nitrites, and 40 ppm of Nitrate. I have done 25% water changes every day and still can't get my nitrates down.
    PH is 8....

My other question:
    My plants are dying! did really well for a couple years, but are now suddenly dying off... Any connection? I recently started adding CO2 to the tank (per the advice of lfs), should I fertilize as well?

I'm stuck on what I should do to proceed...
    Any help or advice, etc. is very much welcome!

Oh, and here's a photo of the tank:
    Name:  PIC_0450.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  214.6 KBName:  PIC_0452.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  235.7 KB

Here's a picture of the plants:
    Name:  PIC_0451.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  231.5 KB

Also should add, I have an aqua clear filter, 10-20. And a bubbler
    (as you can see in the pics)

Thanks guys!
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: any aquarists here? I need some help...

Ah, shoot. Can't figure out how to get that pic of my quarantine tank for baby white's off! Sorry (I'm computer dis-abled).

EDIT: Ok, nevermind. After a little tinkering, I figured it out
    Last edited by Bolisnide; May 20th, 2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: figured it out!
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

i'll get to you on this after work Bol, i need a real keyboard in front of me. too much info to type on my phone. especially since the boss is glaring at me whilst i type this......lol
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    i'll get to you on this after work Bol, i need a real keyboard in front of me. too much info to type on my phone. especially since the boss is glaring at me whilst i type this......lol
    Thanks, bill!
    No rush. Please don't risk your job for my itty bitty tank
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

oh please, he can glare all he wants. he could never do what i do....lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    I have a 10 gallon tank, about 2 years old.
    I will admit that I got the tank with very little knowledge of the biological filter, and how to maintain it.
    I will also admit that I didn't get very good advice at the lfs, so unfortunatley have lost a couple fish along the way....

Up until recently I had 5 glowlight tetras (down to 4):
    Hemigrammus erythrozonus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3 zebra snails:
    Neritina natalensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 albino pleco (about 4 inches long):
    Albino Plecostomus colorful tropical fish pictures

1 japanese algae eating shrimp:
    Petshrimp.com -- All about shrimp

3 Amazon Sword tail plants:
    Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Amazon Sword Aquarium Plant

I realize I'm overstocked (now), and never realized how large the pleco would get ! He was a little one of about 1.5 inches when I got him...

So here comes my question:
    One of the glowlight tetras died last week, I replace it with another which died one day later. I haven't replaced it yet, do I need to? The local lfs said I need 5 tetras for them to feel safe and secure.
    I tested my water:
    Zero Ammonia, Zero Nitrites, and 40 ppm of Nitrate. I have done 25% water changes every day and still can't get my nitrates down.
    PH is 8....

My other question:
    My plants are dying! did really well for a couple years, but are now suddenly dying off... Any connection? I recently started adding CO2 to the tank (per the advice of lfs), should I fertilize as well?

I'm stuck on what I should do to proceed...
    Any help or advice, etc. is very much welcome!

Oh, and here's a photo of the tank:
    Name:  PIC_0450.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  214.6 KBName:  PIC_0452.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  235.7 KB

Here's a picture of the plants:
    Name:  PIC_0451.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  231.5 KB

Also should add, I have an aqua clear filter, 10-20. And a bubbler
    (as you can see in the pics)

Thanks guys!
    ok, so, as far as the tetras go, they would feel more safe and secure that larger the school is. i always keeps schools of 6 or more. do they absolutely need to be in a school? no. plenty of people keep them in pairs and singly and those fish live a nice, happy, healthy life with no problems.

as far as the pleco goes, you can always re-home him and pic up a bristlenose pleco. they only grow to about 4' or so. or some otocinclus cats. they only grow to about 2". of course, you could also add a cory cat or two. all options for down the road, obviously.

as far as your nitrate issue, try rinsing out your media in some old tank water. or some dechlor water. that should get your nitrates down. not that they are really excessive for a planted tank.

now as far as the plants go. i need to ask a couple questions. do you fertilize the tank? how long have you had the airstone in there? what kind of co2 are you adding? and i hate to sound mean, but if those are the same plants that you have had for a year or so, they are just surviving, not thriving or doing ok. lol they should be HUGE. i have had amazon swords grow from 4 leaf plantlets to 2 foot tall 2 foot wide monsters within 2 months.....lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

ok, so, as far as the tetras go, they would feel more safe and secure that larger the school is. i always keeps schools of 6 or more. do they absolutely need to be in a school? no. plenty of people keep them in pairs and singly and those fish live a nice, happy, healthy life with no problems.

as far as the pleco goes, you can always re-home him and pic up a bristlenose pleco. they only grow to about 4' or so. or some otocinclus cats. they only grow to about 2". of course, you could also add a cory cat or two. all options for down the road, obviously.

as far as your nitrate issue, try rinsing out your media in some old tank water. or some dechlor water. that should get your nitrates down. not that they are really excessive for a planted tank.

now as far as the plants go. i need to ask a couple questions. do you fertilize the tank? how long have you had the airstone in there? what kind of co2 are you adding? and i hate to sound mean, but if those are the same plants that you have had for a year or so, they are just surviving, not thriving or doing ok. lol they should be HUGE. i have had amazon swords grow from 4 leaf plantlets to 2 foot tall 2 foot wide monsters within 2 months.....lol
    Ugh, you're so mean!
    I do not fertilize the tank, would any of the plant fertilizers at the lfs suffice, or do reccomend a specific brand?
    The airstone is about 4 months new.
    The Co2 I bought and have been using for only about a week is API Co2 booster. I follow the directions, 1 ml per day per 10 gallons.
    I feel so bad for those plants, yes, they are 2 years old! They were huge, but as the leaves have started dissentigrating, I've been pruning them off... now they're just these pathetic little things.
    One thing that someone jsut mentioned, I also have never replaced my bulb, maybe that is part of the equation?

Who would take my pleco? I have no friends with tanks, and I kind of like him. I read he will max out at 4 inches. I believe he is an albino bristle nose? I could be wrong.

Thanks bill!
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Ugh, you're so mean!
    I do not fertilize the tank, would any of the plant fertilizers at the lfs suffice, or do reccomend a specific brand?
    The airstone is about 4 months new.
    The Co2 I bought and have been using for only about a week is API Co2 booster. I follow the directions, 1 ml per day per 10 gallons.
    I feel so bad for those plants, yes, they are 2 years old! They were huge, but as the leaves have started dissentigrating, I've been pruning them off... now they're just these pathetic little things.
    One thing that someone jsut mentioned, I also have never replaced my bulb, maybe that is part of the equation?

Who would take my pleco? I have no friends with tanks, and I kind of like him. I read he will max out at 4 inches. I believe he is an albino bristle nose? I could be wrong.

Thanks bill!
    for swords, since they are heavy root feeders, i would use root tabs. either the seachem or api versions work well. if you have access to empty gel caps (doesn't everyone? LOL) you can fill them with osmocote (available at most big box stores), in essence, making your own root tabs.

the problem with adding carbon AND an airstone is that you are just pouring money into your tank. the o2 you are adding from the airstone is negating the co2 you're adding. my recommendation? put the air pump on a timer and put it on at night only. since the plants don't utilize co2 at night, it will supplement the tank with o2 for the fishies. the bulb could be part of the equation, but i doubt it. they most likely started melting due to the death of the 2 fish and lack of fertilization. swords are very sensitive to ammonia swings, even if only temporarily. i change the bulbs in my planted tanks annually, but i know people who change them when they burn out.

as far as the pleco goes, you're good to go darlin'. i was under the impression that you had a standard pleco. abn's are perfect for small tanks. they are great little fish. and i'll let ya in on a little planted tank secret: the more plants you have in a tank, the more leeway you have with stocking. the plants serve as a bio filter and allow for a bit of overstocking. so your current stocking level is ok with the swords you have in there.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

10. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

for swords, since they are heavy root feeders, i would use root tabs. either the seachem or api versions work well. if you have access to empty gel caps (doesn't everyone? LOL) you can fill them with osmocote (available at most big box stores), in essence, making your own root tabs.

the problem with adding carbon AND an airstone is that you are just pouring money into your tank. the o2 you are adding from the airstone is negating the co2 you're adding. my recommendation? put the air pump on a timer and put it on at night only. since the plants don't utilize co2 at night, it will supplement the tank with o2 for the fishies. the bulb could be part of the equation, but i doubt it. they most likely started melting due to the death of the 2 fish and lack of fertilization. swords are very sensitive to ammonia swings, even if only temporarily. i change the bulbs in my planted tanks annually, but i know people who change them when they burn out.

as far as the pleco goes, you're good to go darlin'. i was under the impression that you had a standard pleco. abn's are perfect for small tanks. they are great little fish. and i'll let ya in on a little planted tank secret: the more plants you have in a tank, the more leeway you have with stocking. the plants serve as a bio filter and allow for a bit of overstocking. so your current stocking level is ok with the swords you have in there.
    Ahh, I've just learned so much!!!!
    Thank you so much for your time, bill!
    I like the timer idea for the bubbler, so if I understand correctly, put the bubbler on at night so the fish get the o2, and turn it off at during the day so the plants get the co2?
    I'll get some fertilizer, and no, I don't have access to empty gel caps? Maybe the vitamin store... but I think I'll just buy the root tbs you suggest, I'm not that handy!

I'll let you know how this progresses, thanks again!
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

that is correct. co2-day 02-night. and you are very welcome oh, and don't forget to trim off those melted leaves
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

13. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi, just want to add couple simple thoughts. 1st thing is to buy new light bulb/s. If fluorescent tubes; they start losing lumens around six month mark and by 1 year many are producing 1/2 the lumens they did as new. Only light elements you do not replace are LEDs.

Second thing is your aquarium pH of 8. For tetras in general, a pH of 8 is a bit high. Do you know what was pH before starting to add the CO2? If adding CO2 raised the tank pH abruptly; it could explain the death of first Tetra. Also, if store had 2nd Tetra in neutral to acidic water; it probably died of pH shock when released into highly alkaline water. Sadly, Tetras don't handle abrupt pH changes well .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hi, just want to add couple simple thoughts. 1st thing is to buy new light bulb/s. If fluorescent tubes; they start losing lumens around six month mark and by 1 year many are producing 1/2 the lumens they did as new. Only light elements you do not replace are LEDs.

Second thing is your aquarium pH of 8. For tetras in general, a pH of 8 is a bit high. Do you know what was pH before starting to add the CO2? If adding CO2 raised the tank pH abruptly; it could explain the death of first Tetra. Also, if store had 2nd Tetra in neutral to acidic water; it probably died of pH shock when released into highly alkaline water. Sadly, Tetras don't handle abrupt pH changes well .
    Yes! I think you may be right about the pH.
    I posted this exact post on tropical fish forums, and that was their main concern...
    My tap pH is 8.0. I can't figure outhow to lower the pH? I've tried several products.
    The suggestion on tropical fish forums was to re-home the tetras and then get more alkaline, hard water tolerant fish...
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes! I think you may be right about the pH.
    I posted this exact post on tropical fish forums, and that was their main concern...
    My tap pH is 8.0. I can't figure outhow to lower the pH? I've tried several products.
    The suggestion on tropical fish forums was to re-home the tetras and then get more alkaline, hard water tolerant fish...
    Your tap water must be very "hard." It's a term used to describe the mineral content of water. Most prevalent is calcium carbonate and one of it's effects is to raise pH and buffer it there no matter what you do. So the first thing to do is to soften the water a bit until the pH lowers some; at least to neutral territory. For that, you use a product like this one in your tank until the desired pH is reached: Water Softener Pillow. Once you get there, can store the resin pillow in aquarium salt solution and it recharges until next use. There are also test kits where you can monitor the water hardness: Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals GH/KH Test Kit; but you can monitor indirectly by measuring pH. API is widely available in US so you can get those products locally or order through the net.

Couple more things I forgot, that plant damage could be caused by a hungry Pleco. Have you seen him "vigorously" cleaning leaves in the Amazon plants? Try adding a veggie disk to tank in evening and see if it helps. In reality a full grown Albino is a heavy load for your tank.

And in regards to Nitrates; would take a clean water sample to local pet shop and ask them for a complimentary Nitrate test; because your test kit might be bad. Also, if using test strips, those are very inaccurate. Good luck !
    Last edited by Mentat; May 21st, 2013 at 06:02 AM.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Your tap water must be very "hard." It's a term used to describe the mineral content of water. Most prevalent is calcium carbonate and one of it's effects is to raise pH and buffer it there no matter what you do. So the first thing to do is to soften the water a bit until the pH lowers some; at least to neutral territory. For that, you use a product like this one in your tank until the desired pH is reached: Water Softener Pillow. Once you get there, can store the resin pillow in aquarium salt solution and it recharges until next use. There are also test kits where you can monitor the water hardness: Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals GH/KH Test Kit; but you can monitor indirectly by measuring pH. API is widely available in US so you can get those products locally or order through the net.

Couple more things I forgot, that plant damage could be caused by a hungry Pleco. Have you seen him "vigorously" cleaning leaves in the Amazon plants? Try adding a veggie disk to tank in evening and see if it helps. In reality a full grown Albino is a heavy load for your tank.

And in regards to Nitrates; would take a clean water sample to local pet shop and ask them for a complimentary Nitrate test; because your test kit might be bad. Also, if using test strips, those are very inaccurate. Good luck !
    My water is very hard, it's a battle on all fronts, not just with the aquarium. I had the well water tested, and the calcium and magnesium were very high. I was unaware of the water softener pillow, I'm definitely going to try that out, thank you!

The pleco is fed algae/veggie disks regularly, and I have never personally witnessed him on the plants, but he is more active at night so that's not to say he doesn't ever graze on the plants.... he's a big guy for sure (about 4"), but it seems like he's stopped growing. I do like him... so who knows what I'll do. It seems that the fish forum also agrees that he's a big load on the small tank. Maybe I should get a gigger tank?

I was also thinking of getting a complimentary water test done at the fish shop. I do use the API freshwater master test kit, but have read the nitrate readings can be off a lot of the time.

Thanks for your help! I'll keep you all posted.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

while i agree with carlos that your ph is high, it's not unheard of for tetras to thrive in a hard water environment. tetras can be found throughout the amazon river system, including the semi-brackish and brackish delta systems. think about if for a moment, you have had them in your tank, under the same water chemistry for 2 years. i highly doubt that ph is the reason that you are having issues. i would agree that a ph swing and improper acclimation may have caused tetra b's demise, but if your lfs is in the same town as you, they are most likely using the same tap water supply that you are.

as far as softening the water, thise buffers are bad, bad, BAD for the plants. aquatic plants do not handle excessive chemicals very well. if you truly want to soften your water some, i would recommend adding peat to your filter. i know fluval makes a peat bag for filters, and i amsure eheim and aquaclear also make the same. in all my shrimp tanks where i needed low ph levels (5.0-6.4), i always kept a layer of peat moss under my substrate. and my tap is 6.8.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

while i agree with carlos that your ph is high, it's not unheard of for tetras to thrive in a hard water environment. tetras can be found throughout the amazon river system, including the semi-brackish and brackish delta systems. think about if for a moment, you have had them in your tank, under the same water chemistry for 2 years. i highly doubt that ph is the reason that you are having issues. i would agree that a ph swing and improper acclimation may have caused tetra b's demise, but if your lfs is in the same town as you, they are most likely using the same tap water supply that you are.

as far as softening the water, thise buffers are bad, bad, BAD for the plants. aquatic plants do not handle excessive chemicals very well. if you truly want to soften your water some, i would recommend adding peat to your filter. i know fluval makes a peat bag for filters, and i amsure eheim and aquaclear also make the same. in all my shrimp tanks where i needed low ph levels (5.0-6.4), i always kept a layer of peat moss under my substrate. and my tap is 6.8.
    Well.... I have read that tetras can adapt to hard and high alkaline water.
    And I have had 5 tetras for 2 years....
    Maybe the first tetra that died, just died of old age? What is their lifespan typically?
    hmmmmmmmm........ so I really want plants in the tank, so.........

But, want to add, that I also want the fish to be happy and healthy. I have read, and heard, and have been told, that tetras like acidic to neutral water.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

yes, tetras are extremely hardy fish and can and do acclimate to harder water quality. i know guys who keep neons in 8.2 ph levels. one guy actually uses water from a flooded limestone quarry in his tanks because it is pure, clean and free....lol
    i have never kept glowlights, but if i recall correctly, they live about 2-5 years. i prefer the smaller tetras (neon, cardinal, von rio) and the largest ones (pirhana).
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

you know what guys, I've kept fish for n years, but not anymore though as frogs and snakes took all the space lol
    the thing is after reading this I'm realizing I had absolutely no idea of what I was doing hm...
    thank you!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

i somehow find that very hard to believe
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Okay, this is what I decided:

I'm going to keep all inhabitants, including the pleco...
    I'm not going to add a 5th glowlight tetra.
    I have fertilized the plants with the API root tabs, and replaced my bulb (because it was 2 yrs old).
    I am going to see how it goes for now, and not soften my water.

I also added 3 peacock ferns (thought they were pretty).

I tested my water at the lfs and my nitrates were at 40 ppm, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and pH came in a 7.8.

I'll post pics of the progress with the plants

AND- Thank you so much for all the info Carlos and Bill! You guys rock!
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information