Thread: Feeding with mouse?

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Default Feeding with mouse?

Hey. My pacmanfrog are about 10 months soon (maybe 12, because they said he were maybe about 2 month before I got him, but really not sure), but whatever... at least 10 months soon.... he's about 7-7,5 cm long (don't know the with, but he's relative round), and now I'm gonna feed him with a baby-mouse soon, I think...
    Can he take a adult mouse, or should it absolutely be a baby-mouse?

By the way; I've heard that pacmanfrogs (when they're adults) needs 1 mouse a week, also about 4 mouse every month, and then nothing else. Someone says that they only must have maximum 2 mouse every month, because of the fat, and then some grasshoppers, crickets or whatever 1 time at the week.
    Which one do I have to "follow"?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding with mouse?

When you place a mouse in front of your Pacman it will try to eat it... same thing if you put your finger. That does not mean either one is a good choice for frog (or you ). You can raise a perfectly healthy Pacman without feeding it a single mouse in it's whole life .

Are mouses high in fat? Yes, compared to crickets and earthworms they are! Are they excellent nutrition for a frog? No they aren't! Can you feed your Pacman a mouse a week and nothing else? Yes, you can. Will frog develop fatty deposits in liver, circulatory system, etc. and eventually suffer a shortened life or a frog stroke ... only time will tell .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

paul3col

As Carlos says, plus because of the fat content blindness can also be caused. Dusted crix, locusts and the odd waxworm are my fellas diet.

demon amphibians

You may feed your frog a mouse if it is appropriately sized on rare occasions some people say once a month is fine but i believe once every two months for that species is alright. give it a mouse it can easily handle. meaning, not to big because pacs will go after pray that is to large for them, they can eat themselves to death. what the other members have stated is true. But the problems that come from mice are when people staple their frogs on mice or feed to frequently. It just like you going to McDonalds and eating a super sized meal, every meal of every day for the rest of your life. Trust me you wont live long. but if you eat a super sized meal every great once in a while you can still maintain good health. although our digestive system and needs are much different than a frogs, and a cheeseburger has a different nutritional value of a mouse it is much the same idea. You can have a perfectly healthy frog without feeding mice as well as you can have a healthy frog feeding mice infrequently. Much does depend on the type of frog you are feeding to as well.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I got my baby packman just a few weeks ago and I have been feeding all crickets so far but
    I got an order of Dubia nymphs on the way.
    And plan on hopefully starting a colony.
    I don't plan on feeding mice.
    I have heard of another member here that makes his own packman food.
    With small natural sausage casings stuffed with a combination of
    Beef hart, a premium dry dog food, Crickets , Dubia roaches, Vitamin supplements.

I really like the sausage idea since my wife can't handle feeding live.
    And I know 100% what I am feeding.

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Thank you everyone... until now I only had feeding my frog with earthworms and grasshoppers... what about crickets, I had em in the start, but they could crawl out of my faunabox... what do you have your crickets in, that is safety, so they not crawling out in your appartment???

oh oh oh... and one more and last question: what about something from the supermarket, I think a beef, but I'm not sure which type of beef, if so... Louis Charles Bruckner beef heart, which type of beef could it else be???

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Zlitni View Post
    Thank you everyone... until now I only had feeding my frog with earthworms and grasshoppers... what about crickets, I had em in the start, but they could crawl out of my faunabox... what do you have your crickets in, that is safety, so they not crawling out in your appartment???...
    Crickets are widely available in US as feeders which explain their popularity here. Gut loaded with nutritious food they are OK as feeders. I keep mine in a medium sized ExoTerra breeding box and do not worry about any escapees, since they don't survive a normal home environment.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you everyone... until now I only had feeding my frog with earthworms and grasshoppers... what about crickets, I had em in the start, but they could crawl out of my faunabox... what do you have your crickets in, that is safety, so they not crawling out in your appartment???

oh oh oh... and one more and last question: what about something from the supermarket, I think a beef, but I'm not sure which type of beef, if so... Louis Charles Bruckner beef heart, which type of beef could it else be???
    They sell 'cricket cages' for like four bucks at most petstores. Just ask them for one when you go to buy the crickets. They can't get out, and you bring the cricket cage in whenever you buy new crickets so they can just put them straight in there.

Don't feed beef. That has an even higher fat content than the mice, and if you're buying it from any sort of normal supermarket, it's probably been treated (to make it keep that red color longer. it's pretty standard for most meats).

Also, earlier you asked about feeding adult mice; The answer is, it CAN be done safely, but the fur can be an impaction risk. I personally wouldn't risk it as there's no reason to feed adult instead of pinkie mice.

Nationality
    [United States]

A small piece of cooked beef heart would be fine as a treat occationally. You can also use pieces of chicken liver cooked, but these foods are treat foods or last resort foods. Not to be used for a staple diet. Please also note that the beef heart in question is not a cut up cow heart from the supermarket. It is sold in pet stores and usually kept with the prekilled frozen mice, bloodworms, blackworms, and various other frozen fish, reptile, and amphibian foods.

Wait for them to cool before offering them to your frog of course.

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Once again... thanks everyone!
    I think that I'm only feeding Froggy with a mouse, once in a while...
    I'm gonna go buy a crickedbox soon
    The prob is, that earthworms, crickets and grasshoppers are not "big" food, and I've heard that adult pacmanfrogs do need bigger animals sometimes. Or it's maybe not necessary??

Nationality
    [Canada]

no they don't NEED a big prey, they are perfectly fine on whatever as long as they're getting all nutrients they need in a healthy way. Having said that I do feed mice, adults or smaller, sometimes more then once a month, they are my garbage disposals lol if one of the snakes refuses the mouse instead of going to the garbage it goes to my pacs. Since it is seasonal, usually oct-dec when snakes are on a hunger strike, so they are getting more then once a month sometimes during this time, and none during off season. after such a meal they are off food for at least a week or week and a half and on nightcrawlers after that.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information