Thread: RIP Verde

Gentlemangorath

Default RIP Verde

So my confirmed male AGTF passed away today. Didn't show any signs of illness until today. It was spasming a tiny bit, and it's legs looked a bit green. He ate just fine two days ago, pooped yesterday. I have no idea what happened, all I know is I'm devastated. His tank mate Boom seems completely fine, I don't think quarantining is needed, but I just don't know anything anymore. The only thing I can think of is that my calcium (almost a year old) has gone bad. I'm devastated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: RIP Verde

I'm so sorry to hear about Verde

I lost one of my Pacific Chorus frogs, Chrome, in a very sad way only 3 weeks ago. It's heartbreaking, and I know how you must feel. It's terrible when you don't know what you could've done, but remember that everything you did was for his well being and that this was no one's fault. For now, I would comfort Boom, because he may be sad to see his friend go. My other Chorus frog, Levi, stopped eating and being active for the first week after losing Chrome, so I had to monitor him carefully and place crickets directly in front of him to make him eat.

You may want to consider getting a new friend for Boom, but only when you are ready to build a new relationship with a new friend, and not to replace Verde. Taking care of your remaining pets after the loss of a beloved pet can be greatly beneficial to the healing process, I learned this from my experience. If you want, you could make a memorial for him. I'm making a carving of Chrome out on the face of the clock I'm making at school, so I'll always remember him.

Once again, I'm sorry for your loss.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm very sorry for Verde's death Abraham .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Default RIP Verde

I am sorry for your loss .

It is hard to know for sure the cause without a necropsy. To be safe I'd recommend purchasing a new supplement and perhaps even think about rotating between 2 brands. Also be sure your calcium has vitamin D3 in it for proper calcium absorption. Do you use a multivitamin as well. Minute doses of other vitamins and minerals are needed for proper body functions, which can be found in an amphibian multivitamin powder. It could also be neurological, and/or both. It is difficult to know for sure.

As Caspian has mentioned, keep an eye on your other frog. Be sure he is acting normally and eating. They get used to having each other around and can become withdrawn after losing their buddy.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Gentlemangorath

Thanks for the condolences. I actually was replacing my calcium today.... I noticed a little bit of a twitch and his legs looked, idk, bony and I started thinking that maybe the calcium went off. I fed them multivitamins every so often though, because I hear you don't want to overdo it. As for a new friend, I'd like to, but at the same time, I don't really have a quarentine tank to introduce a new friend and all that. It would be nice to rescue another AGTF from that cramped little section in Petsmart mixed with some small reptile, but I just don't know if it's a good idea.

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah, I've heard of Calcium mixes going off, but I wonder if anyone here has done any tests or knows any solid facts about it. Perhaps we should start a thread in the Food, Feeders, Live Frozen, Culture, etc section of the Forum about it.

Well, you could simply buy a 5/2.5 gallon, a lid, water bowl, perhaps some fake plants and cover, and that could be the quarantine tank. They don't have to be pretty or big, and typically it isn't expensive to make/buy one.

It's entirely up to you and Boom, although as soon as I got Thermidor (who's quite a young frog) Levi brightened up instantly. He's now a plump, active, and happy frog, and is always either light brown or khaki, whilst in the week after Chrome's passing he stayed 100% dark brown, was relatively skinny, and hardly moved around at all.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Nationality
    [United States]

Default RIP Verde

I always recommend a 30 day quarantine to prevent any illnesses coming in with new pets. It's good to observe them, their health, eating habits, and feces for awhile before introducing them into the vivarium and with your frog. You'd be surprised at what they can bring in.

After rescuing several frogs, I'd like to recommend also getting a fecal test done on both your frog and any new frog(s). That way if they have any parasites you won't be contaminating each other or your vivarium. Most parasites can be treated with Panacur, prescribed by a vet.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

saddness
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Gentlemangorath

As much as I truly wish I could get another AGTF to give Boom company, I feel like I would mess it up. The quarantine tank doesn't sound that complex, but I don't have the money for the frequent vet visits for the fecal tests and whatnot.... I guess it will just be me and Boom for now is all. Maybe if I get that bigger tank and raise some Grays from my backyard I'll have some neighbors for Boom, but then again, that sounds like I'd need multiple quarantine tanks for that..

Thread Information