Thread: What kind of frog?

rottingtrain

Arrow What kind of frog?

I am trying to decide which kind of frog I should get. I already have an american bullfrog and I had a couple of fire bellied newts. I also have a crested gecko so I have experience with exotics. I thought maybe a whites tree-frog but I heard that they do not really do much, so I am not sure. I was also considering green tree-frogs, but again they mostly just stick themselves to the glass and stay there. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it if you would leave a reply to help me out.
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

starofwhitelight

Default Re: What kind of frog?

I also started with a bullfrog. Bullfrogs are easy to care for compared to tree frogs. If you don’t have experience with high humidity tanks, I would suggest a whites tree frog. The recommended humidity for the whites tree frog is between 65% and 90%. However, these frogs are very forgiving; I rescued a whites tree frog off of Craigslist that lived in a mesh tank for 3 years with a humidity of 10-20%. Whites tree frog are the only tree frog that can be handled for short periods with no signs of stress. These frogs can love human interaction. Feeding time with a whites tree frog can be a blast and they will except hand feedings. Whites tree frogs can grow big (up to 5 inches).

If you want something smaller try tanzanian red-legged tree frog. Tanzanian red-legged tree frogs seem to be a very hardy species. These frogs do well in tanks with more ground area rather than height. They will tolerate humidity between 60% and 90%. They are not as bold as whites tree frogs, but I would not call them shy. You can get them to hand feed too. I find them more active than the whites tree frog.

Green tree frogs (Hyla cinerea) are mostly wild-caught and do not adapt well as pets. Stress is a common problem with these frogs. Stress can easily lead to health problems and death for green tree frogs. The first three months in a new tank are critical; care should be taken not to stress them out. However, after this transitional phase they seem to be fairly hardy.

rottingtrain

I do have experience with high humidity tanks (I had a veiled chameleon) and I do have his old reptifogger sitting in the closet somewhere. The white's tree frog seems fun and I did not realize they were ok with handling. I would appreciate any suggestions you have about where to start looking for one. If you know of anywhere that sells them as tadpoles I would prefer that because I enjoy raising the tadpoles.

paul3col

I am looking at whites, just need to soften the missus up a bit lol. My local reptile shop have a vast array of frogs and the whites are my faves as they do enjoy human interaction.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

This article might help you chose a frog: Frog Forum - Choosing a Frog. Also, here is good info on White Tree Frogs: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Tubby0512

I say an Eastern Grey Tree Frog. They seem to be very active and social. Well mine is at least and the wild one I have in my yard are like that too.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would have to say whites or grays.... if you want to go tree frog. Gray tree frogs a bit more social then whites and half the size and half the food intake =P. So I concur with Jessica.

Thread Information