Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What frogs/toads can I keep with fish?

Scottyhorse

Default What frogs/toads can I keep with fish?

I am thinking I am going to completely redo my 25 gallon tank. Lately I've had this thing for frogs, but I think my parents would kill me right now if I set anymore tanks up SO.... I thought I would add a frog into the tank lol I'm open to anything, but I don't want african dwarf frogs or african clawed frogs. Planning on using driftwood and making a little gravel/sand thingymajig for them to get out of water.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What frogs/toads can I keep with fish?

What fish.,
    Some cichlids are very aggressive.

And some frogs will eat fish.

Especially american bullfrogs.
    They will eat just about anything that they can fit in their mouths.
    See
    A story of a tuff american bullfrog from my local vet.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What fish.,
    Some cichlids are very aggressive.

And some frogs will eat fish.

Especially american bullfrogs.
    They will eat just about anything that they can fit in their mouths.
    See
    A story of a tuff american bullfrog from my local vet.

Scottyhorse

Sorry, should have added that lol

neon and pristella tetras, cory cats, otos, platies, gold barbs, german rams

Aquarium

First of all hi, I am also new here and also a big fish aquarium enthusiast! What sort of tanks do you currently have set up? I have fresh water, salt water and gold fish...a combined total of over 1100L! Anyway, I cant answer your question from experience as I am still in the lurking/researching phase but I have seen pictures of tree frogs (not sure of the specific variety, sorry) kept with things like tetras, but only about 5 (minimum schooling size). Frog species in relationship to required/safe water depth in relationship to potential for fish will need to be considered I guess. And of course...unfortunately, just because there is a picture floating around on the internet doesn't necessarily mean its a successful set up

Good luck!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
    I am thinking I am going to completely redo my 25 gallon tank. Lately I've had this thing for frogs, but I think my parents would kill me right now if I set anymore tanks up SO.... I thought I would add a frog into the tank lol I'm open to anything, but I don't want african dwarf frogs or african clawed frogs. Planning on using driftwood and making a little gravel/sand thingymajig for them to get out of water.
    Sorry, should have added that lol

neon and pristella tetras, cory cats, otos, platies, gold barbs, german rams
    Mixing frogs and fish usually ends badly and that does not count your "death by parents" . Taking out the DACF literally rules out the match, and even then, your Ram's and Gold barbs could be a problem if they pick on the dwarfs.

Some members have kept Fire Bellied Toads with fish by using a large volume of water; but your toads could end up gobbling up the fish or if a Cory Cat get's stuck in their throat, die trying .

My recommendation would be to consolidate your fish so a tank free's up and then convert that tank to a frog only set-up. If you like idea, look at this Frog Forum - Choosing a Frog or tell us what size tank you have and we can propose a frog to keep in it. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Man I don't know how I echoed my self but I will agree with Carlos 100%
    When you consolidate some and free up a tank and let us know what size it is we can defiantly offer some ideas.

BTW I have been keeping 7 ADF's with neons , ottos , corys , cherry barbs and shrimp for over 3 years with
    no problems and actuality one of the ADF's and a cory are best buds and play with each other from time to time.

Scottyhorse

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarium View Post
    First of all hi, I am also new here and also a big fish aquarium enthusiast! What sort of tanks do you currently have set up? I have fresh water, salt water and gold fish...a combined total of over 1100L! Anyway, I cant answer your question from experience as I am still in the lurking/researching phase but I have seen pictures of tree frogs (not sure of the specific variety, sorry) kept with things like tetras, but only about 5 (minimum schooling size). Frog species in relationship to required/safe water depth in relationship to potential for fish will need to be considered I guess. And of course...unfortunately, just because there is a picture floating around on the internet doesn't necessarily mean its a successful set up

Good luck!
    Right now I have 6 freshwater tanks. 1 25Gal, 2 3Gal(Male Bettas), 1 5.5Gal(Male Betta and 3 Neon Tetras till they are large enough to go in the main tank), 1 1Gal (Red Cherry Shrimp) Plus a 'pond' outside with goldfish.

Scottyhorse

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Mixing frogs and fish usually ends badly and that does not count your "death by parents" . Taking out the DACF literally rules out the match, and even then, your Ram's and Gold barbs could be a problem if they pick on the dwarfs.

Some members have kept Fire Bellied Toads with fish by using a large volume of water; but your toads could end up gobbling up the fish or if a Cory Cat get's stuck in their throat, die trying .

My recommendation would be to consolidate your fish so a tank free's up and then convert that tank to a frog only set-up. If you like idea, look at this Frog Forum - Choosing a Frog or tell us what size tank you have and we can propose a frog to keep in it. Good luck !
    Well, I don't want any thing being eaten or killed in the tank, so it will probably be best to buy their own tank. I will be starting a fish room, and I recently decided to add some butterflies in their own enclosure thingy so why not add some frogs lol
    I would probably end up with a ten gallon or twenty gallon. Probably a ten since I will be breeding fish. What types of frogs would be good for this? I would like dart frogs but I don't think I will go with them. I like bumble bee toads, fire belly toads, most frogs as long as they have color. I would also like to keep a group.

Scottyhorse

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post
    Man I don't know how I echoed my self but I will agree with Carlos 100%
    When you consolidate some and free up a tank and let us know what size it is we can defiantly offer some ideas.

BTW I have been keeping 7 ADF's with neons , ottos , corys , cherry barbs and shrimp for over 3 years with
    no problems and actuality one of the ADF's and a cory are best buds and play with each other from time to time.

Good to know you have the same ideas!

Well, I don't want any thing being eaten or killed in the tank, so it will probably be best to buy their own tank. I will be starting a fish room, and I recently decided to add some butterflies in their own enclosure thingy so why not add some frogs lol
    I would probably end up with a ten gallon or twenty gallon. Probably a ten since I will be breeding fish. What types of frogs would be good for this? I would like dart frogs but I don't think I will go with them. I like bumble bee toads, fire belly toads, most frogs as long as they have color. I would also like to keep a group.
    if i read this right, you want to keep frogs in a 10 gallon tank that you also want to breed fish in? i hate to give you bad news, but a 10g is barely large enough to breed anything more than guppies comfortably, let alone keep frogs in it. as far as species go, darts are a terrestrial species and need land mass, not water. fbt's need minimum 50/50 land:water ratio, and i am not sure about the toads, but my experience tells me that they are also a terrestrial species. do yourself a huge favor and research the frogs you are interested in. not just ask questions on here, but really research the husbandry of any species you are interested in.

and before you think i am just trying to talk you out of anything, i will tell you that i have been keeping frogs for a while now, and have kept aquariums for about 35 years. i have bred numerous species of fish a well as roughly 8 species of shrimp and a side kicker of cpo's. with all that said, frogs, i have found, have been the most challenging hobby in the glass cage world, and aren't to be taken on impulse. obviously, in the end, you will do as you wish, i just wanted to offer up some friendly advice.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Scottyhorse

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    if i read this right, you want to keep frogs in a 10 gallon tank that you also want to breed fish in? i hate to give you bad news, but a 10g is barely large enough to breed anything more than guppies comfortably, let alone keep frogs in it. as far as species go, darts are a terrestrial species and need land mass, not water. fbt's need minimum 50/50 land:water ratio, and i am not sure about the toads, but my experience tells me that they are also a terrestrial species. do yourself a huge favor and research the frogs you are interested in. not just ask questions on here, but really research the husbandry of any species you are interested in.

and before you think i am just trying to talk you out of anything, i will tell you that i have been keeping frogs for a while now, and have kept aquariums for about 35 years. i have bred numerous species of fish a well as roughly 8 species of shrimp and a side kicker of cpo's. with all that said, frogs, i have found, have been the most challenging hobby in the glass cage world, and aren't to be taken on impulse. obviously, in the end, you will do as you wish, i just wanted to offer up some friendly advice.
    No, I was meaning the frogs would have their own tank. Most of the space will be taken up by fish tanks, so for now a ten gallon is probably what I should shoot for.. If in the end I end up having more room, then I will get a larger size, but for now I am shooting for a ten gallon I just don't want to plan ahead for something bigger, then find out I can't fit it then be disappointed and have to change all my plans.

Oh and what you said about me doing research.. I will do that, but I would like to get your opinions on what species of frogs or toads would be best in this tank size based on experience, then I will research.. I prefer doing it this way then just reading on a website that may or may not be true.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would set up the ten gallon for 20% water 80% land for firebelly toads.
    three toads would the the max in that setup.

Bill what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post
    I would set up the ten gallon for 20% water 80% land for firebelly toads.
    three toads would the the max in that setup.

Bill what do you think?
    that sounds about right louis, i would probably go 70:30, but i am a water guy.....lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

No, I was meaning the frogs would have their own tank. Most of the space will be taken up by fish tanks, so for now a ten gallon is probably what I should shoot for.. If in the end I end up having more room, then I will get a larger size, but for now I am shooting for a ten gallon I just don't want to plan ahead for something bigger, then find out I can't fit it then be disappointed and have to change all my plans.

Oh and what you said about me doing research.. I will do that, but I would like to get your opinions on what species of frogs or toads would be best in this tank size based on experience, then I will research.. I prefer doing it this way then just reading on a website that may or may not be true.
    gotcha i can tell you from experience, that i have successfully kept fish in tanks with white's tree frogs, mantellas and fbt's. of course, none of the enclosures were any smaller than a 20L. the white's were in a 125, mantellas are in a 40b and the fbt's were in a 20L
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Scottyhorse

What is your opinion on bumble bee toads? It's not that I don't like FBT, we've had one before, but I would like to try something else.

Scottyhorse

Oh before I forget, do you have any pictures of your frog and fish setups? I'd loooove to see!

Nationality
    [United States]

What is your opinion on bumble bee toads? It's not that I don't like FBT, we've had one before, but I would like to try something else.
    If interested in Bumble Bee's, this is a good article to read: Frog Forum - Bumble Bee Walking Toad - Melanophryniscus stelzneri (Weyenbergh, 1875) - Care and Breeding .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Scottyhorse

I'm really liking the Bumble Bee's... I think I could make a cool habitat for them in a ten gallon. I have a couple questions that the article didn't cover. What humidity do they like? Since they like a temp of 70-80 degrees, how should I heat the terrarium? My room is about 60 and under I think, I would have to check. The stupid AC unit likes to pump cold air into the basement.. LOL Would a reptile heating pad under the tank work best? Or something else?

Oh before I forget, do you have any pictures of your frog and fish setups? I'd loooove to see!
    unfortunatey, i have no tanks set up at the moment, due to housing issues. but a friend of mine is caring for my white's and my mantellas. these are the most recent pics of those tanks:
    http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...-my-tanks.html
    the build log for my mantella tank:
    http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...aludarium.html
    the build log for my 125:
    http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...aludarium.html
    my madagascar hissing cockroach build:
    http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...ach-coach.html
    and a couple pics of my aquatics before i sold them:
    30g shrimp tank. yellow neos and sss crs

and last, but not least, my 75g planted tank