Thread: My frog isn't eating?

Introvacist

Unhappy My frog isn't eating?

A friend recently bought me my first frog, (a young Hylarana Erythraea) and he hasn't eaten since I've had him...

Today is the fourth day I've had the frog and I'm wondering if something is wrong...

My friend gave me some crickets to feed him, but he doesn't seem all that interested in them. (Perhaps he would prefer something else? or they're too big for him? Though, they seem rather small to me...)

I've changed out the bedding in his tank, I keep misting to keep humidity up etc., and I have a UV night bulb for him...

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure if something's wrong with the little guy...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My frog isn't eating?

Hi there. Im sorry your frog is not eating. Is that your frog on your Avatar? Its looking a wee bit skinny to me, But it maybe just the photo. I would get him to the vet if there's no change tomorrow. Sometimes frogs take a few days to settle into their new homes. Do you have lots of places for your frog to hide and feel safe in his enclosure?

Kurt

Ranids are generally skittish and it make take a few days to settle in. I would keep this guy in water with floating platforms to rest on as they are semi-aquatic. Is your also your avatar? If so he doesn't quite look like a Hylarana erythraea. Below is a picture of a typical Hylarana erythraea.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Introvacist

His enclosure is plastic and rather small ( 7 1/2" [width] 15" [length] 12" [height] ).
    A 4" by 8" area of the enclosure is water, with a floating platform for him to rest on.
    The 3 1/2" x 8" length next to that is Spanish moss, the rest of the enclosure, and under the moss, is a substrate of fir bark. On top of the area with just bark, is a small hollowed tree for him to hide inside (and he hides most of the time...)

@Kurt , It certainly does seem as though the coloration of my frog (my avatar) and the photo you posted of a hylarana erythraea are different, but the color of my frog's legs and the stripe running down his side has gotten darker since I've had him (they were originally lighter, similar to the photo you posted) ... the only major difference I can see in appearance is under the white stripe on the side, your photo has a dark almost black color, and my frog has the same color green there that he has on his back.

If my frog isn't a
    hylarana erythraea, like I've been told, then I would very much like to find out what kind he actually is, so I could better care for him...

Questions:

Is the enclosure that conducive to whether or not he eats properly?
    If so, is this enclosure adequate?
    Should I worry about giving him more places to hide, or should I think about investing in a different enclosure so he has more space, more water and more platforms?

I don't exactly have a lot of cash to spend at the moment, so the idea of having to go to the vet or buy an entirely new enclosure isn't exactly appealing to me, but I want him to be okay...

Paul Rust

Is the enclosure in a high traffic area? Are you constantly looking at him and bothering him to see if he is ok? Try putting his enclosure in a quiet room and check on him without him knowing you are there. He may need some peace and quiet to get out and explore his surroundings to feel comfortable enough to calm down when you are present. Put some small crickets in with him and let him relax a little. It can be very tempting to check on him too much but it will stress him.

csmarie

Can anyone tell me what type of frog is my avatar picture? I have been trying to feed him crickets with no success. I'm worried.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Blog Entries

Please tell me more about your frog, where you got him, what size is he. I'll need a better picture too. It looks like some type of toad to me. What state did you find him in if you found him in the wild.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yoda, this thread is 4 y old
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information