Thread: Green Tree frog Substrate?

whiteroses91

Default Green Tree frog Substrate?

During my first go around, with green tree frogs, I used astroturf...Hated it. Looked boring, wasn't natural for the frog. I want something different
    I have pea gravel, that I purchased from Lowes for less than three dollars for a HUGE bag for my fishtanks...(I know it will need to be washed really well) Will this work? Is it safe? He won't swallow it? I've done some research about using rocks/pebbles and some say it's okay.
    Is it okay to put a shallow dish in the tank? Like a tupperware container? Maybe toss some rocks in it for support and then float my java moss the water?
    I was thinking something like this, for his set up...keep in mind, this is a 10 gal I used for fish, for a while, but now it's empty and gets to be a home for a new critter to add to the huge family of pets my boyfriend and I have! Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SethD

Default Re: Green Tree frog Substrate?

Your right that astroturf isn't a particularly good choice for substrate. Beside the things you mention it does nothing for maintaining humidity and can sometimes cause abrasions on the frog. The best substrate you can use for most species is just plain old dirt. Failing that coco fiber is acceptable though it can be messy with tree frogs if not overlaid with leaves. Pea gravel will work with some species, and quite a bit depends on the size of the gravel, but overall it isn't the best choice for species that may ingest the substrate with prey items. Most tree frogs including green tree frogs would fit into that category. If you do use pea gravel with tree frogs it should be covered with a thick layer of sphagnum moss or leaves so they don't ingest it by accident. Yes a tupperware container will be fine for a water dish and it doesn't really matter how deep it is since green tree frogs swim quite well.

whiteroses91

First off... JUST PLAIN DIRT?! Should I plant something in it, like baby tears or something?

Thanks

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by whiteroses91 View Post
    First off... JUST PLAIN DIRT?! Should I plant something in it, like baby tears or something?

Thanks
    Yes, I would, it would look better and give the frog something to sit on instead of just the glass. Fairly sturdy broad leafed plants are probably the best choice plant wise, but there are many possible choices. If it were me I would use a dirt substrate, plant a few plants and maybe add a dead branch or two. I would also have some sort of water bowl or stream(probably need more space for a stream though), use leaf litter to cover the dirt, and cover most of the top with glass to reduce evaporation and improve humidity.

whiteroses91

That sounds much safer than the pea gravel. I would love to have a little stream or waterfal in there for him, I'm sure he would love that, but at the moment my apartment can't hold another large tank, two 75 gallons are enough.
    I was checking out a few vine plants that I liked and noticed they are the same plants you would buy at a garden center. Possibly safe to put in the tank, if rinsed with water? Could I even take a plant I already have growing here and plant it in the tank?
    I am sure these two frogs will be 1 million times happier than my last.

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by whiteroses91 View Post
    That sounds much safer than the pea gravel. I would love to have a little stream or waterfal in there for him, I'm sure he would love that, but at the moment my apartment can't hold another large tank, two 75 gallons are enough.
    I was checking out a few vine plants that I liked and noticed they are the same plants you would buy at a garden center. Possibly safe to put in the tank, if rinsed with water? Could I even take a plant I already have growing here and plant it in the tank?
    I am sure these two frogs will be 1 million times happier than my last.
    More than likely they would be safe to put in the tank yes. I have picked up plenty of plants for frog tanks from garden centers when trying to construct habitats cheaply and I have never had a problem with toxins or anything like that. Biggest thing to make sure of is that the plant species in question can handle constantly wet roots and low air flow without rotting. That covers a fairly large number of widely available tropical house plants.

Paul Rust

I use plants from garden centers all the time. Just make sure you wash all the dirt from the roots and re-plant it to get all the fertilizer out of it. Then rinse the plant to remove any chemicals. I have never had a problem and it saves a lot of money.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi there, If you are concerned about the soil you can re-pot the plant in a bigger pot with firmly packed sphagnum moss in the bottom and top of the plant so the frog does not come in contact with the soil.. That's what Ive always done and have had no problems.

Thread Information