Thread: Edsal shelving strength

Pyxiefan001

Default Edsal shelving strength

I bought this shelving unit a few months ago to maximize the limited space in my living quarters. I have my leopard gecko and Pixie on it, with Frog below gecko. I currently have the Pixie in a large (but light) Sterlite box but lately I've been debating about placing her into the exo terra box I have. But the exo is quite heavy even without anything in it, like 2-3 blocks worth of coir. The shelving is framed by steel, but the shelves themselves are plywood. This unit is rated for 2000 pounds of combined weight but I still worry if the plywood will support the heavy exo with substrate and furnishings in it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-36-...4#.UlYIIGQa-p0

Does anyone think it would be sturdy enough? I do keep my gecko in a 20-L glass tank, but it only has paper towels in lieu of substrate and number of relatively heavy stones. I would think a set Pixie tank be much heavier. I'm a bit worried about the plywood breaking and the tank falling through it. Exos are heavy even when empty, after all.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SCF

Default Re: Edsal shelving strength

Quote Originally Posted by Pyxiefan001 View Post
    I bought this shelving unit a few months ago to maximize the limited space in my living quarters. I have my leopard gecko and Pixie on it, with Frog below gecko. I currently have the Pixie in a large (but light) Sterlite box but lately I've been debating about placing her into the exo terra box I have. But the exo is quite heavy even without anything in it, like 2-3 blocks worth of coir. The shelving is framed by steel, but the shelves themselves are plywood. This unit is rated for 2000 pounds of combined weight but I still worry if the plywood will support the heavy exo with substrate and furnishings in it.

Edsal 36 in. W x 60 in. H x 18 in. D Steel Commercial Shelving Unit-UR361860 at The Home Depot

Does anyone think it would be sturdy enough? I do keep my gecko in a 20-L glass tank, but it only has paper towels in lieu of substrate and number of relatively heavy stones. I would think a set Pixie tank be much heavier. I'm a bit worried about the plywood breaking and the tank falling through it. Exos are heavy even when empty, after all.
    Why not put the pyxie tank on the bottom shelf? If the shelf is rated for 2000 pounds I would not even worry. It would take tanks weighing 660 pounds per shelf to be at the 2000 pound weight limit.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Are you sure it's plywood? The description says particle board. How thick is the "plywood" and what size ExoTerra are we discussing?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

do you want just to swing by costco and get metal shelving here? they are on wheels, i have sooooo much stuff on all shelves, hold very nicely and I'm able to move it if need to be with everything on it. pic taken a year ago, now everybody is upgraded, there are 3 more shelving units like that and way more stuff on each.
    Name:  DSC03463.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  97.7 KB
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    ...there are 3 more shelving units like that and way more stuff on each.
    Wow Lija, you have 5 of the Costco units filled with enclosures... admirable !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol look at my signature
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

ejh805

I have all my herps on one of these. They are super strong and sturdy! However be sure that the one you buy doesnt have any warped or bent parts.

SCF

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    do you want just to swing by costco and get metal shelving here? they are on wheels, i have sooooo much stuff on all shelves, hold very nicely and I'm able to move it if need to be with everything on it. pic taken a year ago, now everybody is upgraded, there are 3 more shelving units like that and way more stuff on each.
    Name:  DSC03463.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  97.7 KB
    I have to agree with Carlos, your setup looks great Lija. Is everything alright now?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I have Edsal shelves, but honestly, they're kind of scary. They hold the weight as long as it is evenly distributed. Mine hold a lot of weight. I have two heavy load bearing shelves on one rack, the ground level has 2 10Vs and 2 10Hs and the next has 2 20vs, 1 5 and 1 10. The second shelf was bowing a little and a tank started leaking, which wrought havoc on the particle board. I put another shelving piece down beneath the tanks and that has worked well to stop the bowing and spread the weight. I have another rack that holds a 10g newt tank (full of water) a 20L with lots of stuff in it, a 10g and 20g on the middle shelf and my tortoise and a small fish tank on the bottom. If you don't want to buy new shelves consider having some plywood cut to fit instead of the particle board. That being said, you really aren't putting that much weight down so I wouldn't be too concerned.

~Alex

Thread Information