Thread: HELP rescued a wild frog from my garden!

jeromeetabuzo

Exclamation HELP rescued a wild frog from my garden!

I found a rana erythraea frog in my little sister's plant pots and it was thre sitting i tried to touch it with a net , it wouldnt budge so he jumped and felt into my dad's fish pond and i caught him and place him in a container i added water and a basking dock and while looking at it we noticed a red blister thing on between the frog's ankles and i though that i should cure it before it dies!! pls help! those frogs are great addition to our garden and gives us some tadpoles rarely!! pls theyre the only frogs there (like 4-5)!! i dont want to loose one how do i cure it!!i promise to release after hes been cured! pls people help me! What medicine should i apply? all advice will BE followed.... i will post pictures later when i go home... pls help me!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: HELP rescued a wild frog from my garden!

I would immediately pick up some neosporin WITHOUT painkiller, as well as Bactine and Baytril from your nearby Vet. I also recommend buying some unflavored pedialyte.

We will need photos to truly help you and identify the problem.

What kind of container are you keeping him in, and use dechlorinated/conditioned water.

Unfortunately, if the frog is this sick he may require a trip to the local Exotic Veterinarian.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

jeromeetabuzo

Quote Originally Posted by Gnag the nameless View Post
    I would immediately pick up some neosporin WITHOUT painkiller, as well as Bactine and Baytril from your nearby Vet. I also recommend buying some unflavored pedialyte.

We will need photos to truly help you and identify the problem.

What kind of container are you keeping him in, and use dechlorinated/conditioned water.

Unfortunately, if the frog is this sick he may require a trip to the local Exotic Veterinarian.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
    Is Betadine also fine?
    Im keeping him in a 5 gallon tank for now and dechlorinated water from my dad's fish pond (where he sat near), he isnt active and isnt even jumping when budging it but its alive... Here are the pic:
    1.IMAG0633 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2.IMAG0621 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    All he does is it in same position whole day , will he be fine? i dont want too lose one and also what should i try feeding him are crickets accepted ( will he even accept to eat??)I cant find an exotic vet , i lost the address on where the two vets are (which john said last time)!!! Oh no what can i do to cure that wound? Notice the nerves....

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

I would immediately contact Grifthegreat, John, Flybyferns (Lynn) and/or Heatheranne. This kind of problem is beyond my knowledge of how to treat, but I am certain one of those 4 will be able to help you out.

I would give him a pedialyte soak (1/10 pedialyte, 9/10 water) and add a few drops of natural, liquid honey to liven him up. Keep his environment clean and moist. Offer food (crickets, earthworms) and see if he'll take any.

I STRONGLY recommend you pick up the neosporin without painkiller, Bactine, and baytril ASAP. The neosporin should be found at your local Drugstore, but be sure it is the kind without painkillers, as the painkillers will kill the frog.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

jeromeetabuzo

Ive been searching for bactine and baytril and i cant find any!!! And i think he ate a roach which fell into his tank because when i checked on him theres scattered exoskeleton and wings of a cockroach.... But now he isnt eating crickets.... Even pedialyte cant find!! And also i found one stuff its named Benadril or Benadryl forgot , For wounds and insect bites and sprains and its a spray type and also i found a chinese medicine for sprains (well like neosperin) But cant read it its all in chinese! Will it also be ok? i changed his tank lowered the water to his toes and added a potted plant where i found him and now hes like hiding on the plant.... hes partly jumping only a few inches like a toad which that frog dont use to normally hop so low.... Are these medicines found SAFE?

Nationality
    [Canada]

ok, here is what you need to do:
    - take a clear picture of the wound, it is a bit blurry and hard to tell what is it if possible at all from the pic.
    - set up a hospital set up, wet with dechlor. water papertowels and some kind of plastic plant until you figure out what to do next.

do not use anything unless you're sure it is safe and will work. I'm sure you have all kind of meds available, but they name it differently in different countries.

pedyalite - that is electrolyte solution, it can go under different names, but same thing, ask in a pharmacy for electrolytes solution without any flavour, they will show you, there must be something similar, it is commonly used for babies with diarrhea, it might be in powder form, doesn't matter.

polysporin or similar, - ask in a pharmacy for antibiotic cream or lotion, any type, but without painkillers, read the label!

you might want to check fish section of a pet stores for melafix as well, you need to dilute it according to instructions and use for soaks.

from what i see on these pics ( not much) it seems to be bacterial origin, meds that i mentioned are safe to use and you can start there and see how it'll go.

benadryl cream is a NO! it has painkillers and anti allergy meds, it will kill your frog.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

jeromeetabuzo

here's a clearer view:
    1.IMAG0635 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2.IMAG0646 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    3.IMAG0643 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    here are the medicine i found which i asked the pharmacist

1.IMAG0650 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2.IMAG0648 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! ( does this have painkillers?)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    here's a clearer view:
    1.IMAG0635 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2.IMAG0646 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    3.IMAG0643 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    here are the medicine i found which i asked the pharmacist

1.IMAG0650 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    2.IMAG0648 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! ( does this have painkillers?)
    Jerome see if you can get some Melafix. It should be located in any store selling aquarium products. Follow the instructions for diluting in water and bathe the frog in the medicated bath for 20 minutes per day until the wound is gone. The bath should be no deeper than half the hieight of the frog. After each bath return the frog to its hospital setup which you should be housing the frog in.

Once you have healed this frog set it free.

jeromeetabuzo

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Jerome see if you can get some Melafix. It should be located in any store selling aquarium products. Follow the instructions for diluting in water and bathe the frog in the medicated bath for 20 minutes per day until the wound is gone. The bath should be no deeper than half the hieight of the frog. After each bath return the frog to its hospital setup which you should be housing the frog in.

Once you have healed this frog set it free.
    Hi grif still no melafix found i have searched the pet shops ( 3 of them)... Are the medicine stated above safe? i also found Methalyne blue not sure if it is safe and also a medicine for fish fungus are these ok? i would search again for melafix

Nationality
    [Canada]

it would help if you could take a pic of contents of that bottle, if seems to be betadine, am i correct? if so you can't use it. You need antibiotics without painkillers.

if you can't find melafix... then look what types of antibiotic or broad spectrum stuff they have in a fish section and use it for soaks + antibiotic cream for in between.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

jeromeetabuzo

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    it would help if you could take a pic of contents of that bottle, if seems to be betadine, am i correct? if so you can't use it. You need antibiotics without painkillers.

if you can't find melafix... then look what types of antibiotic or broad spectrum stuff they have in a fish section and use it for soaks + antibiotic cream for in between.
    ill try

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    ill try
    Methalyne Blue has been used to treat infections, but it is dangerous. Keep trying to find the medications we have recommended.

jeromeetabuzo

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Methalyne Blue has been used to treat infections, but it is dangerous. Keep trying to find the medications we have recommended.
    Found one medi-fix ( for fungal infection on pond fish) is it safe? its greenish in color

Thread Information