Thread: How Does This Tank Look?

adzw

Default How Does This Tank Look?

I have some tadpoles that I suspect are tree frogs (I live in Maryland) because that's the only call I hear at night, although I do have a what I think is a Northern Green enjoying my pond this summer... tadpole pic attached for your opinion... Anyway, we are enjoying watching them morph but I've read so many "horror" stories about little froglets drowning that I'm worried about having a proper setup for them to be able to make the transition from water to land.

So I set up their tank with lot of flat pieces of bark and a submerged reptile dish that contains a large rock and smooth river rocks that rest above the water line, and the large rock has living moss on it. Some of the bark floats freely and some rests against the edge of the "island". I have live aquatic plants and I drop in some string algae from a small still pond outside every few days, they devour it. I also bent some thick grapevines and placed them around inside the tank, not that they will be climbing anytime soon... the two biggest ones have teeny tiny floppy back legs and are very plump, they are about 3-3/12 cm long, I would estimate.

Everyone is swimming around and seem pretty calm. There are a total of about 12 ranging in size from the two mentioned above to one little guy who just looks like a circle and tail at this point.

Any thoughts, suggestions, warnings, etc. are much appreciated. I have attached some pics of the digs.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Your set-up is fine for now, as tads. I would recommend a fine bubbler/aerating stone on a very light setting (add a adjusting dial along the tubing). Be sure to use dechlorinator if you're using tap water or you can use spring water (not bottled drinking water).

Do you have any photos of your tads?

If you happen to run out of algae to feed them you can use dehydrated seaweed strips or boiled romaine lettuce (boiled in dechlorinated water until limp). You can also freeze the lettuce into cubes and then keep them in a baggie in the freezer. When ready to use, just cut a piece off of the cube or use whole cube. Here is a photo of the seaweed. It can be purchased in the fish section of a pet store.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

4. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

adzw

Default Re: How Does This Tank Look?

Thank you! I'm going to go to the thread now and post some more pix. You can see the chubster's little teeny tiny legs and feet... I will be heartbroken if he doesn't make it... I am watching him constantly!! Going to get an aerator today... Should I get a separate little tank for him?

adzw

Name:  name that tadpole.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  122.7 KBName:  prof fatty 2.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  119.8 KBName:  prof fatty.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  121.7 KB

Here are a few closeups of the biggest one. Hard to see its little teeny tiny legs and feet but they are there. I'm overly worried about it drowning, should I be doing anything more than what I've already done?? Heatheranne thank you so much for replying. You are my froggie mentor now!!

adzw

Two more pix! Tummy and profile views.

Name:  tummy.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  81.1 KBName:  profile.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  84.5 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

They will need about a 10 gallon tank with a screened lid for when their legs develop. When they get their front legs it is time to prepare for their new home. Soon after the back legs will follow. Once they get their back legs you will want to make them a terrarium.

Baby terrarium (for froglets and toadlets):

Tank/lid
    Paper towels for flooring/substrate
    Shallow water bowl
    Ladies nylons for lid
    Water dechlorinator
    Background covering for back and 2 sides of tank
    Heat source (if needed)

Food:

Flightless fruit flies
    http://www.joshsfrogs.com/producing-...y-culture.html

My Petco also sells the small flightless fruit fly cultures.

Springtails:
    http://www.joshsfrogs.com/jumbo-32-o...a-culture.html

Necessary supplements:

Calcium with vitamin D3: there are many brands.

Repcal
    http://www.joshsfrogs.com/rep-cal-ul...itamin-d3.html

Multivitamin: many brands also

Herptivite
    http://www.joshsfrogs.com/herptivite-multivitamin.html

Repashy
    http://www.joshsfrogs.com/repashy-ca...plus-4-oz.html

Once he morphs we'll need to know for sure what species he is to "decorate" his tank. Such as, toads and terrestrial frogs will like a set-up with cave-like hides and tree frogs will like branches and plants to climb. Aquatic frogs will eventually like a pond.
    Last edited by Heatheranne; June 21st, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

9. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

adzw

Great, another question (or three or five): So if I got a 10-gallon tank, and set it up with a false bottom and substrate, a and a large soaking dish with water, can I put the morphing tadpole with back legs in the soaking dish filled with water and some algae and some bark "ramps" leading out of the water to the land? or do i need to leave it in mostly water with access to a little land for now, until he's an official froglet? your note says back legs follow front, but it's the other way round, right? cause he has his back legs now but no front legs yet... also i don't know if the substrate should be "dry" meaning soil or coir or river rocks with a waterfall and lots of big rocks and bark pieces...i guess i'm trying to figure out what to make before i know what kind of froggies i'm going to get... not sure where to go next...

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by adzw View Post
    Great, another question (or three or five): So if I got a 10-gallon tank, and set it up with a false bottom and substrate, a and a large soaking dish with water, can I put the morphing tadpole with back legs in the soaking dish filled with water and some algae and some bark "ramps" leading out of the water to the land? or do i need to leave it in mostly water with access to a little land for now, until he's an official froglet? your note says back legs follow front, but it's the other way round, right? cause he has his back legs now but no front legs yet... also i don't know if the substrate should be "dry" meaning soil or coir or river rocks with a waterfall and lots of big rocks and bark pieces...i guess i'm trying to figure out what to make before i know what kind of froggies i'm going to get... not sure where to go next...
    Yes, oops, back legs come first.

Most frogs and toads will need some moisture, but yes, it really depends on which type of frog or toad he ends up being.

I would move him once he has all 4 legs and his tail starts to shrink/absorb.

I wouldn't bother with a fancy bottom until he grows. I like using paper towels because they can see the fruit flies easily and you'll know if he is pooping. Easy clean-up too.

When the time comes to change his home to a more natural habitat, as he grows, I would use coconut fiber substrate. It's easy to work with and safe. You could also use plain, unfertilized plantation soil without perlite.

12. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Thread Information