Thread: New questions

PsionicRat

Question New questions

Today I was really surprised, my ACF (who's name is Takeo now.) started getting black marks on his hands and arms. I wasn't expecting that sort of development for some time yet. I'm hoping this means he's younger than I feared. His previous owner said she'd had him for 'over a year or so' and I was starting to think he was underdeveloped as well as emaciated. Either way he's not as long as the sites say he should be (he may be four inches at best). Is it possible he's still growing or could he be stunted for the rest of his life?

He does seem to be gaining some weight though, at the very least he's not as sharp around the edges as when I first got him.

Also wanted to ask about 'calci worms', otherwise called 'Pheonix worms', or so Google tells me. I couldn't find the suggested silkworms or hornworms or much else like them in my local pet supply places. But PetCo had 'calciworms', though theirs all pupated and turned into wasps so they were no good anymore. The sites I've looked at about them say they're okay for fish, but will they do an African Clawed Frog any good? I'm worried that his diet has been so poor that his bones are in as bad a shape as the rest of him.

That's all I've got right now. Thanks a lot for any suggestions, you guys have helped me out a lot already.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: New questions

Phoenix works will be ok for your frog. Just FYI, they are the maggots of the robber fly and not a wasp. As far as I know the adults are safe to feed to frogs. They are fully flighted so it may be difficult to manage them.

PsionicRat

The guy called them wasps (I had no idea what they were) but if they're just flies, I can work with that. I'll pick some up as soon as another shipment makes it to the store. They're pretty much my only choice atm.

Thanks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicRat View Post
    Today I was really surprised, my ACF (who's name is Takeo now.) started getting black marks on his hands and arms. I wasn't expecting that sort of development for some time yet. I'm hoping this means he's younger than I feared. His previous owner said she'd had him for 'over a year or so' and I was starting to think he was underdeveloped as well as emaciated. Either way he's not as long as the sites say he should be (he may be four inches at best). Is it possible he's still growing or could he be stunted for the rest of his life?
    The black patches are his hands and arms are called nuptial pads. These are rough, dark patches that sexually mature males get during the breeding season. Males usually become mature at about 9 months. The purpose of nuptial pads is to help the male grab on to the female during the mating embrace, called amplexus. They become very noticeable if Takeo is an albino.

He does seem to be gaining some weight though, at the very least he's not as sharp around the edges as when I first got him.[/QUOTE]

Good job! I think Takeo has a good home now.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Socrates

Here's a site you can order hornworms, silkworms, phoenix worms etc from.

YOUR BUGGIE HEADQUARTERS

She's a good lady and has fine feeder insects. Hope that helps.

Thread Information