Thread: Diatomaceous earth - Safe for my herps?

Zehla

Default Diatomaceous earth - Safe for my herps?

I moved to Florida for a job and I kind of hate it here because no matter what I do I CANNOT keep ants out of my apartment. I keep everything clean and they still help themselves to the most microscopic of crumbs and bring their entire horrible colony with them.

This time they decided to colonize my leopard gecko's cage. I have him on dry coco fiber because cleaning the carpet is a massive pain and sand, I found, is not that great for them. My poor guy is currently in his vet carrying cage while I air out the bleach smell from his cage. Having been out of the fantastic kills-any-bug Mite Off, I reluctantly used my homemade water and bleach bathroom solution because it kills ants dead and I needed to get them all out for sure before I put his stuff back in. I plan on rinsing it several times and cleaning it with Healthy Habitat until the smell is completely gone, I would hate to cause his death in my attempt to eradicate these horrible pests.

And so I came to an idea that if I can't keep them out of my apartment at least I can maybe keep them out of my reptile cages by mixing diatomaceous earth in with their substrate. Has anyone tried this?

I have the following pets I'd like to ant-proof:
    Leopard Gecko
    Crested Gecko
    Ball Python
    Pac Man Frogs (one baby, two adults)

I hear this earth is edible and safe for humans but could find nothing on herps. My frogs are kinda clumsy when they eat. I also have a persisting springtail infestation in my frogs tanks that makes me have to clean it way more often, and I think diatomaceous earth repels/kills almost any bug, so it might help with that as well. First and foremost though, I want to make sure I CAN put it in with my pets.

I only ever got ants in my Crested tank (probably the sweet food nectar) and my Leopard gecko tank, but I feel I should ant proof them all.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thread Information