Thread: Fish with FBTs?

firefly

Default Fish with FBTs?

I've been checking out Youtube and alot of people have small fish in the same tank as their toads.

I've read that fish will not survive because of toxins etc, but the fish in the vids all look very healthy & happy.

Has anyone on this forum got fish with toads ??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SethD

Default Re: Fish with FBTs?

I have keep mollies, guppies, and mosquito fish with FBT's before. Tough little fish like that will be ok with FBT's as long as you consider it acceptable for the occasional fish to be caught and become a snack for the FBT's. The FBT's will try to catch the guppies if they swim nearby but they won't pull it off very often. Don't keep any fish with them that isn't both edible and expendable though, they will try to eat nearly everything that moves including human fingers and each other.

Paul Rust

I also have fish in some of my larger setups but mostly to eat the fruit flies that get in the water and float around in little rafts. You should quaranteen the fish for at least a couple of weeks before dumping them into the tank with the toads to make sure you don't introduce any pathogens and that they are healthy. Seth, it appears we agree on something after all. Do you have any pics of your water setups? I am always looking for good aquatic ideas for my next projects.

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    Seth, it appears we agree on something after all. Do you have any pics of your water setups? I am always looking for good aquatic ideas for my next projects.
    No, unfortunately I don't, I have never been a big picture taker due to lacking any sort of talent in that area and it has been at least seven or eight years since I have had any fire-bellied toads. It was nothing very complicated or impressive anyway, just a simple pea gravel and sand setup with a few large stones and some duckweed in the water section and a few potted plants on the land area. At the moment all my frogs are terrestrial species, the only thing aquatic I have is a fly river turtle.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by SethD View Post
    the only thing aquatic I have is a fly river turtle.
    Somebody has some money.

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Somebody has some money.
    LOL, actually I didn't pay anywhere near the prices they are going for now, I bought it as a hatching several years ago for $200 shipped. They were cheaper then but it was still a very good deal or I wouldn't have bought it.

Kurt

Last time I saw one for sale it was over $1,000.

firefly

Thank you

firefly

Still going on about fish, My 10 gallon tank only has approx 5inch of water in it, with a filter. Will this be ok for 2 or 3 small coldwater fish??

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    Still going on about fish, My 10 gallon tank only has approx 5inch of water in it, with a filter. Will this be ok for 2 or 3 small coldwater fish??
    That should be ok. You will want a tough species of fish like Black Tetras or something like that, I have had good luck with them in frog setups. You will also have to do partial water changes once a week even with a filter in that small of an area. Also, don't be surprised if they end up as food for your FBTs.

Thread Information