Thread: New owner adopting a huge ACF

RockyGurly

Question New owner adopting a huge ACF

Hello!
    I was in my bio class this morning, and a boy came in trying to pawn off a frog to my bio teacher (he even said we could dissect it!) because it creeped him out. I jumped in and told him to bring it to me tomorrow instead, and, well, I've never actually had one of these buggers before I believe he's fairly large, he's albino, he seems to have really bulgy eyes (is that normal? Everyone else's don't look that bulgy) he has large rocks in the tank and he said he has a pretty big tank, but that's all I know. I have no idea if there's a filter or even a lid, and apparently he feeds him nothing but goldfish, which he's quite vicious with.
    So, in preparation for my new guy, here I am. I was reading around and I have some things figured out, but others I'm clueless. So.
    Food:
    I know he eats live goldfish, but I'm not seeing anyone else doing that. I've read about some reptomin pellet food, but my pet store doesn't have it and the soonest she could order it in might be a month or more. So what do I feed him in the meantime? I have live crickets, mealworms, isopods and I have freeze dried bloodworms and bloodworms frozen in little cubes, and my pet store has feeder goldfish and she already gives me the freshly passed goldfish for my crabs. And if I can't get this pellet food, what could I offer him as a staple diet, and what could I offer him as treats or to keep him healthy?
    Housing:
    I think the tank is a ten gallon at least, but if it's 20 long or larger I'll be getting him a buddy once I move. I have some large PVC piped and caves and plastic plants and wood for him to hide in/climb on. Should I have a land section at all, or something for him to sit on out of the water? I'm also ditching those silly rocks. Not sure about the lid or filter, but I'll either modify a screen lid (if that's usable) and get my own filter or get an aquarium style hood lid when I get some extra $$. Does he need lighting too? Or would the natural light in the room be enough?
    Cleaning:
    I'm really not a fish or aquatic pet type person, so all of this filter lingo is new to me. What exactly is cycled? How do you maintain it? If I have a large filter, how often should I do full or partial water changes? If I can't, would be be fine temporarily with an airstone and water changes? If the room is warm enough to keep the temp in the low 70s, would that be enough or should I spring for a heater? (I heard Aquael being recommended) How delicate is this water thing in regards to good bacteria?
    An issue:
    I'm moving in two months, and I have plans to pack up all my critters and transport them safely, but they're all land based and easy to pack around. The trip will be about 8 hours in the summer, and a ferry ride. I'm thinking an aquatic froggy in a bag or small tupperware could not be moved safely. (unless he can, which would be sweet) but if he can't, I'll hang onto him until I can adopt him out. Another problem, there aren't very many pet people in this town, and certainly not many serious pet owners. I could leave him with Faye (the pet store lady, who is really good about adopting critters out to proper homes) but he might end up being there forever, or until she caves and sells him to some kid. Is there any way to hook me up with a potential (serious) adopter nearby, or even on the way? I live in Port Alberni on Vancouver Island, and I'll be moving to Vernon on the mainland. If I can't take care of him I'd love to set up a future caretaker ASAP. He sounds like he's been treated badly for a long time, and he's a full grown frog, and really needs a steady forever home. From the picture he showed me he looks a little beat up.
    Ok, thanks! I think that's everything. I'll be picking up supplies tonight or tomorrow after school and I'll be getting him tomorrow morning. If I missed anything, feel free to point it out.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: New owner adopting a huge ACF

Quote Originally Posted by RockyGurly View Post
    Hello!
    I was in my bio class this morning, and a boy came in trying to pawn off a frog to my bio teacher (he even said we could dissect it!) because it creeped him out. I jumped in and told him to bring it to me tomorrow instead, and, well, I've never actually had one of these buggers before I believe he's fairly large, he's albino, he seems to have really bulgy eyes (is that normal? Everyone else's don't look that bulgy) he has large rocks in the tank and he said he has a pretty big tank, but that's all I know. I have no idea if there's a filter or even a lid, and apparently he feeds him nothing but goldfish, which he's quite vicious with.
    So, in preparation for my new guy, here I am. I was reading around and I have some things figured out, but others I'm clueless. So.
    Food:
    I know he eats live goldfish, but I'm not seeing anyone else doing that. I've read about some reptomin pellet food, but my pet store doesn't have it and the soonest she could order it in might be a month or more. So what do I feed him in the meantime? I have live crickets, mealworms, isopods and I have freeze dried bloodworms and bloodworms frozen in little cubes, and my pet store has feeder goldfish and she already gives me the freshly passed goldfish for my crabs. And if I can't get this pellet food, what could I offer him as a staple diet, and what could I offer him as treats or to keep him healthy?
    Housing:
    I think the tank is a ten gallon at least, but if it's 20 long or larger I'll be getting him a buddy once I move. I have some large PVC piped and caves and plastic plants and wood for him to hide in/climb on. Should I have a land section at all, or something for him to sit on out of the water? I'm also ditching those silly rocks. Not sure about the lid or filter, but I'll either modify a screen lid (if that's usable) and get my own filter or get an aquarium style hood lid when I get some extra $$. Does he need lighting too? Or would the natural light in the room be enough?
    Cleaning:
    I'm really not a fish or aquatic pet type person, so all of this filter lingo is new to me. What exactly is cycled? How do you maintain it? If I have a large filter, how often should I do full or partial water changes? If I can't, would be be fine temporarily with an airstone and water changes? If the room is warm enough to keep the temp in the low 70s, would that be enough or should I spring for a heater? (I heard Aquael being recommended) How delicate is this water thing in regards to good bacteria?
    An issue:
    I'm moving in two months, and I have plans to pack up all my critters and transport them safely, but they're all land based and easy to pack around. The trip will be about 8 hours in the summer, and a ferry ride. I'm thinking an aquatic froggy in a bag or small tupperware could not be moved safely. (unless he can, which would be sweet) but if he can't, I'll hang onto him until I can adopt him out. Another problem, there aren't very many pet people in this town, and certainly not many serious pet owners. I could leave him with Faye (the pet store lady, who is really good about adopting critters out to proper homes) but he might end up being there forever, or until she caves and sells him to some kid. Is there any way to hook me up with a potential (serious) adopter nearby, or even on the way? I live in Port Alberni on Vancouver Island, and I'll be moving to Vernon on the mainland. If I can't take care of him I'd love to set up a future caretaker ASAP. He sounds like he's been treated badly for a long time, and he's a full grown frog, and really needs a steady forever home. From the picture he showed me he looks a little beat up.
    Ok, thanks! I think that's everything. I'll be picking up supplies tonight or tomorrow after school and I'll be getting him tomorrow morning. If I missed anything, feel free to point it out.

Hey there, welcome to the forum!

That's nice of you to save the frog! I would have done the same thing, African Clawed Frogs are such lovely creatures, you can even tame them! (more on that later)

I'll answer some of your questions:

1) Feeding live goldfish to an ACF is a huge mistake, the fish contains a certain chemical which will stop the frog from taking in nutrients/certain vitamins. Reptomin is the best staple diet you can give them. Alternatively, Xenopus.com sell sinking pellets and they're also a very popular staple. In the meanwhile, I suggest a diet of frozen bloodworms and live nightcrawlers. This, however, is a difficult subject, many people argue about what is good and what isn't good for an ACF. Some thay that bloodworms could possibly cause bloating and death, but I think this is quite rare. If you do go for worms or any live stock, make sure that they're not 'wild', you don't want to risk putting herbicides and other toxins that the worms may have digested in the wild. Pet-shop worms should be fine. You can also feed your frog certain types of fish and meat, but you'd have to look more into it.

2) In regards to the set up, 10G per frog is usually the recommended amount. Long tanks are preferred since they love to scatter on the substrate in search for food. You're definitely going to need a lid, these frogs are notorious for escaping, you can either get a lid or make sure there is a large gap between the water's surface and the top of the tank, so they don't jump out. The tanks shouldn't be too deep, some say more than 12'' is excessive. These frogs breath with lungs like us, so they need oxygen. They're fully aquatic, which means that the tank needs to be 100% water, this species is not amphibious and it will dry out and die if exposed out of the water.

These frogs have eyes on the top of their bodies, and are therefore sensitive to light, it's best getting a low-power light, although I'm sure if they get a few hours of direct/indirect sunlight it will be okay, lights are important for plants and their photosynthesis. Filters are needed, I'd say they're imperative. Filters have two functions, they filter any small pieces of debris in the water and they, most importantly, filter the tank biologically. Now, this biological filter is related to the Nitrogen Cycle (you're going to have to read up a lot on this, but I'll post a short expo

1) Frogs produces waste, this waste is Ammonia. Ammonia will literally burn and eventually kill the frog if it is exposed to it in high quantities or for an extended period of time.

2) The filter will eventually fabricate a first type of bacteriae that will transform the Ammonia into Nitrites. Nitrites are also dangerous and affect the frogs on a molecular level, eventually making them unable to breath.

3)A second type of batertiae will grow and will turn the Nitrites into Nitrates, which isn't as bad as Ammonia or Nitrites, it is safe in slow levels.

4) Your tank is thus cycled when your ammonia and nitrite levels are 0.0. (you can buy water tests to keep track)

Note that this biological process may take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month, you can buy formulae from petstores which will speed up the process. Cycling with fish is strongly frowned upon. Fishless Cylcing is the most popular choice.

Now, in your case, it would be best to do 100% water changes every 1-2 weeks (dechlorinating the water before, either by a store-bought produce or leaving the water to sit for 24h) Make sure that the water temperature is the same to avoid stress. The problem with these drastic water changes is twofold: on the one hand, it will stress the frog out, and on the other hand, you will not be able to cycle your tank, because any good bacteriae growing will be washed out and the new water will start a new process.

Well, I'm sure I'm leaving some stuff out, but hopefully this is a good start.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Normally I would dig deeper into this, I am short on time. One quick thing though, in Canada Walmart sells Reptomin.

RockyGurly

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    Normally I would dig deeper into this, I am short on time. One quick thing though, in Canada Walmart sells Reptomin.
    Perfect! I'll be going to wal mart today anyways.
    Necromencer, thank you! I'll get some tests and try to get the water cycled, I can spring for a large filter on Monday if he doesn't already have one (he might. I have no idea) but for future reference, what if instead of whole water changes every 1-2 weeks, I did 50% changes every week? To keep some of the original water?
    Ok, I think I have everything figured out, except one little bit. Do I just plunk the pellets in and let him do his thing? What if he doesn't notice them or even know what to do with them? And what if he's already too sick to take anything from them because of those stupid fish? Ah. I'll come back in a couple hours when I have him and let you guys know what I'm working with.
    So far on my list:
    Another PVC pipe
    Reptomin
    A (possible) filter
    A (possible) hood style lid with velcro to keep it closed
    An underwater thermometer
    A (possible) underwater heater
    Some floating/sinking plastic plants

Looks like you're getting all the information you need. Just wanted to say good for you! Thanks for saving the frog!

And also: You don't need to rush into getting him a friend. Usually pet shops only carry tiny froglets and you would need to grow it out in a separate tank before it is big enough to not be eaten by the adult. This could take around 6 months or more. If you find another adult frog you will still need to quarantine it for a month to ensure that you're not spreading any disease.

Good luck to you and the new guy! We'd love to see pictures when you get him!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Now I have a minute;
    Some decent advice from Necro with the exception of the bloodworms thing, just avoid them and if you must feed them do it only as a treat. I would also do only partial water changes as you asked. 100% changes are like doing a certain something in the wind. If you are cycling a tank you have to have ammonia to push it along. Do 25-30% a couple of times a week just to keep it from getting too out of hand.
    As far as food, Reptomin is a great choice as is any other floating dry/pellet/stick food designed for aquatic turtles and or amphibians. It is likely he will not eat it at first, but we can address that problem if it arises.
    Welcome to the forum by the way and what part of Canada are you from?

RockyGurly

I'm from Vancouver Island! So if anyone could point me towards someone who could adopt him in the next month or two, that'd be awesome. Or I'd be willing to ship him if they pay for shipping.
    I couldn't believe that kid, I nearly threw a fit in bio when I saw him. He's in a 20 long, with 3 inches of dirty coloured gravel, glass rocks and stupid plastic reptile toys. The water looked like it hadn't been changed in a month and there were about 20 fish in there. And that's not the worst part, I think he just stuck the whole thing in the back of his truck and drove it to school, because the water was HOT. And I'm amazed he didn't get squished under all those large rocks and silly toys bouncing around. Apparently he's kept him like that for four years! I'm just about ready to cry here.
    I just left school and got him set up, I cleaned out the tank with hot water, tossed all the silly **** and cleaned off a couple decent rock decorations that he seems to like and I brought the fish to the pet store. I put about 6 or 7 inches of water in there, it's a longish tank but not very deep, but he isn't very active so I'm not too worried. He has some floating plastic plants to grab onto if he needs a hand getting air and some pipes and caves to hide in and the bottoms bare. There isn't a filter, but I'll grab him one either tonight or on monday, and I'll be getting his pellets tonight. The poor thing looks really beat up, some of his webbing is torn and he's terrified of everyone and I think one of his eyes might be injured (but he still swam into my hand and let me move him into the bag to take him home) right now he's just in a large bag with the original tank water, I put the bag into the new tank to let the temps even out and I asked my mom to open it up in 20 minutes to half an hour or so (I went back to school) I'll try for pictures tonight, but I don't want to freak him out too much. I'm not even going to bother with a buddy, I think he needs to be alone and heal for awhile anyways. But I'm sure he'd love to join a large community tank in a month or so 8)
    A couple more quick questions, I have clean, pesticide free earth worms, I think I saw some people mention those? Just to fatten him up a bit? And the pellets, once he starts eating them, how often should I put them in? And when I get his filter going, I think I still have to partially clean the filter and do partial water changes, but how often for one frog in a 20 long? And also, is there anything extra, like a boost food or a medicine, I should give him right now? He looks pretty sickly to me, and I've only ever seen these guys in pet stores :/
    Thanks so much for all your help 8) we both really appreciate it. I'll try to share some pictures with you guys soon I've never really dealt with aquatic critters before, so any advice is good advice. And I'll definitely be coming back here when I get myself set up for dumpy frogs, some fire bellied toads and a couple other guys on my "list"
    (Edit: almost forgot, good news, it DID come with a nice aquarium lid, no lights 8) so I'll get it velcro'd down)

Nationality
    [Canada]

I have a friend that is going to Vancouver in a few weeks, not the Island though. I am sure I could talk her into bring the frog back here if we can figure out how to make you two meet up. In the mean time though sounds like he is in a much better place.

RockyGurly

Quote Originally Posted by rodsboys View Post
    I have a friend that is going to Vancouver in a few weeks, not the Island though. I am sure I could talk her into bring the frog back here if we can figure out how to make you two meet up. In the mean time though sounds like he is in a much better place.
    That would be awesome! But unfortunately she'd have to come to me I'm not old enough for my license yet, and apparently theres "no friggin way" mom will drive me to meet up or drop off a "stupid frog" :/ (I'm really sorry, but, well, I can't do much about it How long will she be there? If she has some extra cash I could ship him down to Vancouver I'm sure)
    I've got the pellets and a thermometer, I can't get a filter right now (not enough $$) but the water is a heck of a lot cleaner than the old stuff, and apparently it only got cleaned about once a month. Eugh. I'll pick up a filter in a week or two once I have some dough, though, and I'll do 10% water changes every couple days until then I think. He's just poking around and hiding in various places. He checked out the pellet when it sunk, but he didn't eat it :/ Should I try wiggling it around? I'll try again in the morning, but in the meantime I'm just going to leave him be, he's probably really stressd out right now.
    I'm just working on securing the lid and covering up the gaping hole in it >_< I can't believe he hasn't gotten out in four years. He probably wasn't strong enough to :/
    I'll try to get some pictures of him tonight or tomorrow if he comes out of hiding, I think he looks pretty sick so I'd love it if you guys could take a look at him
    Edit: Also, this is a little concerning, but his fingers are brown? Not just the claw, but the finger?

RockyGurly

(Good news! By a happy and unexpected mistake, my partner came over and decided to check him out, and decided he'd love to take him when I leave He takes care of all my other critters when I'm out of town so I totally trust he'll take good care of him. He's also buying a filter and some more plants for him. So he's just going to stay with me for awhile to heal up (and because he's super cute) and then It's a simple matter of moving him a couple of blocks down. Thank you though!)

RockyGurly

He seems to be doing really well, he mostly explores slowly or he hangs out in a couple spots. But I can't get him to eat, he won't take the pellets and I tried tweezer feeding him an earth worm, nothing :/ What can I do? It's been days, I'm sure he's starving.
    Also, he's been making mating calls Good, right? I'm taking them as a compliment

Thread Information