Thread: Hi.... need help identifying a frog/toad

gzank6

Default Hi.... need help identifying a frog/toad

we were just given the frog/toad... sorry if its not a great picName:  IMG_0466.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  94.9 KB

Default Re: Hi.... need help identifying a frog/toad

Quote Originally Posted by gzank6 View Post
    we were just given the frog/toad... sorry if its not a great picName:  IMG_0466.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  94.9 KB
    Possibly an American Bullfrog, Rana catesbeianus, or a Green Frog, Rana clamitans. Or something else, but those are the most common frogs that are consistent with the details visible in your picture.

More details on where it came from would help (what state was it found in and if it was caught outside). If possible, a closer picture wouldn't hurt either.

I'd probably avoid keeping it on that aquarium gravel, if it swallows a rock it could cause an impaction.
    Last edited by UncleChester; May 1st, 2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: spelling

3. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Could you give us a good photo of the frog's front, back, and from the side. From this angle, I think it may be an American Bullfroglet but I'm not sure.

Also, I advise you remove that gravel and use pond stones instead. They are larger, and cannot be ingested. Gravel, on the other hand, can be, and can cause a fatal impaction if accidentally eating during a feeding

I'd feed him a diet of crickets no larger than the space between his eyes daily, dusted with a calcium and vitamin D3 powder. You can offer him/her 1 earthworm every feeding, just be sure it comes from a pesticide/fertilizer free place.

I would definitely add plants, fake or real doesn't matter, and an aquarium background. It will help the frog get used to his new home.

Oh, and welcome to the Frog Forum !
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

5. This member thanks Gnag the nameless for this post:

demon amphibians

It really does look like a bull frog i can slightly see the bone structure that indicates that it is in fact a bullfrog but it is hard to say from that angle. The question is also in the legs, i will say it slightly resembles the leopard frog. It has to be one of these two species.

7. This member thanks demon amphibians for this post:

gzank6

sorry I didn't include more info. We were given the frog from my son's preschool... i think his teacher said it was a bullfrog so that falls in order with all the replies. I will definitely upgrade the rocks to pond stones and possibly some plants and background. We have been feeding him crickets and he's been eating them well.

Questions...
    What can I expect growth wise.. how big will it get?
    Adding plants.. I noticed the crickets hide under the rocks... does that impact the frogs ability to find them? Will the plants do that also?
    Can i add several crickets at once?
    If I get worms... just toss them in?
    How often should i change the water?

Thanks for all your help!!!

demon amphibians

They can be between 3" to 8" from vent to snout. legs can add another 7-10 of length. And can weigh more then 1 lb. Although i have seen bigger.
    You do want plants. Crickets will hide anywhere whether you have plants or not. this is something that you will just have to get used to.
    You can add several crickets at once. Just be careful not to put to many in because they have been known to munch on the frog if uneaten.
    I would hand feed the worms or put them in a feeder dish if you drop the worm in it will either drown or it will bury itself under the substrate. And your frog wont be able to get it.
    getting a filter would be your best option. If not i would recommend changing and cleaning every 2-3 days. Use de-chloridnated water.

10. This member thanks demon amphibians for this post:

gzank6

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    getting a filter would be your best option. If not i would recommend changing and cleaning every 2-3 days. Use de-chloridnated water.
    a filter? is there a special filter... my fish tank filter wouldn't reach that far down.

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by gzank6 View Post
    a filter? is there a special filter... my fish tank filter wouldn't reach that far down.
    I use a Fluval U2 underwater filter for my juvenile bullfrog's tank, it's an underwater filter and works well as long as you have 3-4 inches of dechlorinated water. You can set it on it's side against the wall of the tank, and once it gains a bio-filter, it'll work amazingly well.

I strongly suggest a 20 or 30 gallon for when he/she is growing up, and a 55-150 gallon for when he/she is an adult.

As for placing food, you can place the crickets in front of the frog, and the earthworms directly in front. He/she should notice them and go after them.

If you want an example of tank that would work for both a Leopard frog and Bullfrog, here's some:

Name:  100_6585.jpg
Views: 2278
Size:  59.3 KB

An older (outdated) picture of my Juvenile bullfrog Gnag's tank. The water level is 3.5 inches now, and there is more greenery. However, it is otherwise the same, and my juvenile bullfrog loves it:
    Name:  5630_499741486733739_1261878229_n.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  84.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gnag the nameless; May 2nd, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

And for goodness sakes a sturdy wire mesh tank cover.

These guys can jump great distances. 2 to 3 feet or more when they get larger.

Thread Information