Thread: Broken leg

Unhappy Broken leg

Hi,my marine toad wet a little jumpy because a cat past by my side he fell from a lot of distance for a toad.after that Bubba stop breathing and I have to push his lungs to function,then he started to make circles and finally trying to eat himself,my finger,my cat tail and some ants.After a little while he's belly become red from the impact and have broke he's she's left front leg.what I can do i use a cloth to paralyze the leg and put him her in a box.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Broken leg

I'm sorry to hear about this, but we'll help you all we can.

I would definitely set up a quarantine tank, with moist paper towel for substrate. She's definitely going to need an exotic vet to fix this injury. I have little experience with bone injuries, but I am certain someone who can help you out soon will see this thread.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

here in puerto rico we dont have reptile or exotics animals vets

Nationality
    [Canada]

without a vet..... hm...
    the best you can do is as Caspian advised to set up hospital set up. are you sure it is broken? if so you need to make sure a toad is in tiny space so he can't move much and pretty much would sit in one spot. you can't really properly immobilize the leg with anything yourself. your best bet is just to try to keep him as less moving as possible, if there wounds treat with antibiotic cream, make sure it is WITHOUT painkillers, you can soak in melafix ( fish medication) diluted according to the instructions on a bottle.
    watch him for any signs of anything, his internal organs might be injured due to impact.
    without vet you can only hope for the best and that whatever he got damaged will heal
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    without a vet..... hm...
    the best you can do is as Caspian advised to set up hospital set up. are you sure it is broken? if so you need to make sure a toad is in tiny space so he can't move much and pretty much would sit in one spot. you can't really properly immobilize the leg with anything yourself. your best bet is just to try to keep him as less moving as possible, if there wounds treat with antibiotic cream, make sure it is WITHOUT painkillers, you can soak in melafix ( fish medication) diluted according to the instructions on a bottle.
    watch him for any signs of anything, his internal organs might be injured due to impact.
    without vet you can only hope for the best and that whatever he got damaged will heal
    if i put her him in a tiny space wouldnt stress and die??????

Nationality
    [United States]

Here is one: Clinica Veterinaria San Agustin | Facebook! Also, here is link to P.R. College of Veterinarians: Colegio de Médicos Veterinarios de Puerto Rico. They have a list of veterinarians where you can call near ones and check if they do exotics or even call the college and ask them to help you locate one. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

in here as the cane toad is a pest they don attend his kind.Also where i live no one like this types of toads

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

It doesn't matter what they think, what matters is you and your toad. I would take him in to a Vet, and ignore whatever insults or comments they make about him. They are there to help your pet, and they'll be failing their job as a Veterinarian if they refuse.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Nationality
    [Canada]

If there is a vet is accessible go for it, if a leg is broken that is the only way to make sure a frog won't suffer, pest or not doesn't matter, if you are a client coming with your pet I'm sure they are going to be professional. any vet if someone would bring in someone damaged, pet or not, would take care of it.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

How is toad doing Elizabeth? Agree with Caspian and Lija! Unless the government in P.R. has a written law directing veterinarians to refuse treatment for cane toads or other pests; think a veterinary that normally handles exotics should not refuse care for your frog. Good luck !

I put her in a plastic mini tub with some paper towels and today she is jumping much better,and I put her back in her terrarium but without gravel and she soak for 4 hours and she get very chubby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoadgirl View Post
    I put her in a plastic mini tub with some paper towels and today she is jumping much better,and I put her back in her terrarium but without gravel...
    I suggest you keep her in the hospital set-up at least a couple weeks and maybe up to a month. Also, gravel is an impaction risk if toad feeds there. Good luck !

Thread Information