Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TREATMENT FOR REDLEG (Chytrid Fungus)

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question TREATMENT FOR (Chytrid Fungus)Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis

I have been hearing recent reports that people have found a "POSSIBLE" cure for the chytrid fungal disease Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis.The cure / treatment I have been reading is a an athletes foot treatment for us "homo sapiens" (humans).

Now I wanted to know If anyone here on this website has used this athlete foot treatment that I have been reading on the forums, and which one specificaly you used (Lotrimin, Tinactin or whatever product you used specifically). WHAT FORM YOU USED? (spray/ lotion / liquid) and how much you applied on your little frog/toad and what species.

I am not to fond of these forum posts. "I HEARD THIS TREATMENT WORKS". I really dont want people testing it on their little guys unless it has been proven and tested by the actual source. I dont want any more frog losses for no reason. The world already loses enough frogs to this fungal disease worldwide. Scientists / Veterinarins say there is NO solid treatment for this. SO please step forward and help everyone out. I myself have lost my favorite frog to this nasty disease and I would personally LOVE TO HEAR what you have to say, and im sure other people would before its too late for their little guys. =/ -Corey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: TREATMENT FOR REDLEG (Chytrid Fungus)

Hello Corey! I'm confused by your post combining the name of one disease "Red Leg" known to be caused by a bacteria (Aeromonas sp.) and another disease; Chytridiomycosis, caused by a fungal infection (Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis).

Although both can cause reddening; since Red Leg is already associated with the bacterial one; maybe it's better to refer to the fungal one as Chytrid and not combine both terms. Obviously a frog could be infected with both; but think we should use different terms to avoid confusion and misunderstandings. Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Ok wait a second..now im confused...grr... i thought they were related...TIME TO DO MORE RESEARCH..but seriously if someone has USED this treatment...let me know

Nationality
    [Canada]

chytrid is treated with lamisil spray and bath. are you suspecting you need treatment for one of yours?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

NO NO... for some reason my vet told me RED LEG was the fungus?!?! IT was when when dixie was sick... my other 13 breeders are doing just fine...thank god... i just want to make sure the right messages are getting accross. Somewhere along the line i would have been really pissed off if i lost dixie and could have solved that entire problem i had with her with a LAMISIL SPRAY. But no... the symptons she displayed were TRUELY the RED LEG. (aeromonas sp.) =/

Nationality
    [United States]

Here is some good info on Chytrid: Chytrid Fungus « Amphibian Ark. Lamisil is medication of choice in frogs. Have no idea if fish fungal medications (Pimafix, etc.) will work. Do know some human fungal meds can affect the liver; so would not take chances using them in my frogs.

And this one on Red Leg: How to Care for a Sick Frog with Red Leg Disease: 8 Steps. Red Leg is caused by stress and poor husbandry; so first part of treatment is to eliminate stress source and correct husbandry problem. Antibiotics are prescribed; but a member recently cured his red leg sick frog by using salt water baths. Although I do not agree with letting frog alone without meds; this article does have good points in reducing frog's stress: www.froggie.info - Redleg. Hope this helps you !

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Carlos... you are not a moderator yet? CMON NOW haha.

Nationality
    [Canada]

agree with what Carlos is saying as well as every single medication might have possible side effect, so whatever you are using you better be sure you use correct dosage and correct meds
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Not using anything now Lija =P all my RED EYES are healthy..the froglets are ESPECIALLY HEALTHY...heck they jump across the tank in excitement when i put fruit flies in there... never ONCE seen a red eye act like that.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Corey that is great to hear! when/if ( hopefully never) you need a correct dosage pm me.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

I will do that...what is your experience with RED EYES and RUBY EYE Tree frog from tanzania?

Nationality
    [Canada]

mine - none, but i have access to vet. inside info and lots of experience treating all kind of stuff.
    I have big frogs lol would love to get red eyed but my family screams at me that i have too many frogs lol may be i should convince my younger daughter to get a red eye instead of whites as a first pet lol she says to get a hamster is too "normal" lol

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    mine - none, but i have access to vet. inside info and lots of experience treating all kind of stuff.
    I have big frogs lol would love to get red eyed but my family screams at me that i have too many frogs lol may be i should convince my younger daughter to get a red eye instead of whites as a first pet lol she says to get a hamster is too "normal" lol

Dont you just love the word NORMAL..haha

demon amphibians

what i have read is that chyrtid fungus is what produces the bacteria that causes red leg it isn't the fungus itself. Many documentary's and sources that i have read use the term red leg as a nick name. And where red leg comes from is the internal hemorrhaging which causes the frogs legs to bruise and turn red. But it not only occurs in the legs it will be all over the under part of the frog. If starvation doesn't kill the frog first the internal bleeding will. Now i have heard of other bacterial infections that do cause the frogs legs to turn red but it is not from internal bleeding. poor water quality from my understanding can cause both infections.

the cure is said to be an antibiotic contained in eye medications but no one seems to be able to get there hands on it. thus far there has been no feed back on the product.

Nationality
    [United States]

Great thread !

Here is some information for clarification ?

Chytrid zoosporangia is a fungus
    Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis (is the causative agent of chytridiomycosis) of which the frog will succumb to.

great life cycle posters !
    https://www.google.com/search?q=batr...w=1219&bih=581

<"Chytridiomycosis
    In terms of its effect on biodiversity, chytridiomycosis is quite possibly the worst disease in recorded history. First identified in 1998, this potentially lethal skin disease is caused by the chytrid fungus Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, which has been detected on at least 287 species of amphibians from 36 countries. " >

<"Chytrid zoosporangia live in the heavily keratinized stratum corneum and stratum granulosum of the frogs’ pelvic patch, digits, and ventral body, and in the keratinized mouthparts of tadpoles. Associated epidermal changes included irregular cell loss, hyperkeratosis, and excessive sloughing of the skin. " >

<"Two leading hypotheses have been put forward to explain how Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis directly kills its host: 1) toxic, proteolytic enzymes are released by the fungus, and 2) loss of electrolytes negatively affects osmoregulation and/or oxygen uptake, two primary functions of amphibian skin." >

above information quoted from Chytrid Fungus

*link below----This information is eye-opening ! Available in PDF format.
    A must read if you keep frogs and/or breed frogs :

After I read this ( in 2009) --- I removed ALL soil substrate from my Agalychnis ( callidryas and moreletii) enclosures and have NOT put it back.
    For what it's worth:
    I use an ( UNPROVEN- my recipe): cleaning solution every Saturday on the walls and floors of my tree frog enclosures.
    ( including on the cricket bowls and soaking dishes). Except for the plants-- they are housed like a "lab" or quarantine enclosures; like the paper towel theory but 'pretty'. I use- reusable ( fleece fabric) substrate (changed 3 times a week) of which is put through the washing machine in hot water and bleach /rinsed twice and put in a hot dryer to evaporate any left over bleach remnants. The substrate is soaked in de-chlorinated water before put back in to the enclosure. This has been my routine since of 2009. I have lost one frog ( recently ) since 2009 due a to a puncture wound behind the eye - from a plant branch.

*link:
    http://www.cbsg.org/cbsg/workshoprep...ase_manual.pdf

Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
    ... I removed ALL soil substrate from my Agalychnis ( callidryas and moreletii) enclosures and have NOT put it back.
    For what it's worth:
    I use an ( UNPROVEN- my recipe): cleaning solution every Saturday on the walls and floors of my tree frog enclosures.
    ( including on the cricket bowls and soaking dishes). Except for the plants-- they are housed like a "lab" or quarantine enclosures; like the paper towel theory but 'pretty'. I use- reusable ( fleece fabric) substrate (changed 3 times a week) of which is put through the washing machine in hot water and bleach /rinsed twice and put in a hot dryer to evaporate any left over bleach remnants. The substrate is soaked in de-chlorinated water before put back in to the enclosure. This has been my routine since of 2009.
    Wow Lynn, you remind me of college days and time working on a lab. Will read those linked articles and see what I learn, thank you !

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Carlos,
    It's a very confusing topic. Understand it ? Not my pea brain ---in comparison to the world renowned - passionate- researchers working on the problem.
    My common sense just tells me to.......simply....keep things clean and use proper quarantine methods for all new "in-coming !"
    We can do that !
    Lynn
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    what i have read is that chyrtid fungus is what produces the bacteria that causes red leg it isn't the fungus itself. Many documentary's and sources that i have read use the term red leg as a nick name. And where red leg comes from is the internal hemorrhaging which causes the frogs legs to bruise and turn red. But it not only occurs in the legs it will be all over the under part of the frog. If starvation doesn't kill the frog first the internal bleeding will. Now i have heard of other bacterial infections that do cause the frogs legs to turn red but it is not from internal bleeding. poor water quality from my understanding can cause both infections....

Please take a look at links provided by Lynn & myself and will see they are two different diseases with separate causal agents and deaths. Chytrid is a fungus that attacks the frogs keratinized layers on adult skin and tadpoles mouth. A frog that has a compromised immune system due to fungus enzymes or deteriorated skin functions could also suffer from additional maladies to include a Red Leg bacterial attack. However; until research proves otherwise, fungal Chytrid and bacterial Red Leg are not related and work independent of each other .

Nationality
    [United States]

I read two 2 really good research articles - I can't find them ( I'll post when I do)
    1- on the use of lotrimin ( human anti-fungal medication) COREY - that is why I sent you the PM re speaking to your vet about the lotrimin treatment .
    2- the use of probiotics for frogs to boost their immune system.

forgot about this article- came across it looking for the others- little info on human anti fungal medication ie lotirmin

Chytrid Fungus « Amphibian Ark

great contacts ( above) to keep on-hand and to help follow current research.
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]

Current Collection