Thread: Mossy frogs+Fish=?

100+ Post Member Teh Frog Whisperer's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Mossy frogs+Fish=?

I'm thinking about buying one or two Vietnamese mossy frogs, and I was wondering if they'd appreciate little guppies or minnows in their water area so they have something to chase and snack on and stuff. Any thoughts?
    0.1.0 Lepidobatrachus laevis-George-RIP
    0.1.0 Ceratophrys cranwelli x cornuta-Peggy
    0.0.1 Litoria caerulea-Fremont
    0.0.1 Lithobates catesbeianus-The Bullfrog
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya sp.-Clay and Gemma

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default jRe: Mossy frogs+Fish=?

I wouldn't recommend adding fish to your mossy tank. Mossy frogs want tannin-rich water, almost yellow in color. I don't think fish would do well in that.

In the wild mossy frogs live in waterfilled holes in trees and rock formation. So they don't usually share their homes with fish. Maby it will make them nervous since they hide in the water when being scared.

But I really recommend you getting a mossy frog or two. They are really cool frogs!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: jRe: Mossy frogs+Fish=?

Quote Originally Posted by Raya View Post
    I wouldn't recommend adding fish to your mossy tank. Mossy frogs want tannin-rich water, almost yellow in color. I don't think fish would do well in that.

In the wild mossy frogs live in waterfilled holes in trees and rock formation. So they don't usually share their homes with fish. Maby it will make them nervous since they hide in the water when being scared.

But I really recommend you getting a mossy frog or two. They are really cool frogs!
    Thanks for the input! I definitely won't add fish to the setup now.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mossy frogs+Fish=?

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Frog Whisperer View Post
    I'm thinking about buying one or two Vietnamese mossy frogs, and I was wondering if they'd appreciate little guppies or minnows in their water area so they have something to chase and snack on and stuff. Any thoughts?
    The frogs sure won't mind, food is always food
    However, you'd want to make sure the fish is free from nastiness etc. I'm pretty sure the fish won't like the kind of water that mossies like (like Raya said), but then again I don't know anything about keeping fish. Lastly, not all kind of fish is suitable for the frogs to eat (which they most likely will). Guppies are supposed to be fine, but I personally think it's more hassle than it's worth.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    The frogs sure won't mind, food is always food
    However, you'd want to make sure the fish is free from nastiness etc. I'm pretty sure the fish won't like the kind of water that mossies like (like Raya said), but then again I don't know anything about keeping fish. Lastly, not all kind of fish is suitable for the frogs to eat (which they most likely will). Guppies are supposed to be fine, but I personally think it's more hassle than it's worth.
    Yeah, that's what I concluded after I gave it some thought. I just figured it might be entertaining for me and the frogs.

tannin rich water is what is commonly known as blackwater. they are countless species of fish that not only survive in blackwater, but THRIVE in it. some species are neon and cardinal tetras, endler's live bearers (a guppy relative that is less prone to parasites), mosquito fish and many others. all are peaceful fish that would be more scared of the frogs than the frogs of them....lol
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Raya View Post

Have no experience with Mossy frogs and hope one day I'm able to keep them. However; I do know a lot about fish, including some that love low pH tannin rich water. If still interested; look at the smaller fish originating from blackwater biotopes in the Amazon Basin's. Among nice ones are: the Black Neon Tetra Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi; the Bleeding Heart Tetra Hyphessobrycon erythrostigma; the Cardinal Tetra Paracheirodon axelrodi; the Neon Tetra Paracheirodon innesi; and the Green Neon Tetra Paracheirodon simulans among others. So if you want to try this experiment; select a group of one of the above (number limited by water side total gallons) and get them settled before adding frogs.

Be aware above tetras are not cheap feeder fish and if the Mossy's decide to eat them; it will be an expensive fail-ex. Also, they require fully cycled set-ups with no ammonia or nitrites and frequent water changes to keep nitrates low. To create the blackwater conditions, you can use driftwood (Malaysian sinks readily and works well), commercially available blackwater extracts, or a combo of both. Be aware that fish in pet shop might be in neutral pH water and if your set-up is very acidic it will require to drip acclimate fish. A rapid drop of more than 0.2 (pH scale is logarithmic) in 24 hours can kill the tetras. Let us know what you decide and I will try to help on the fish side, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm thinking about keeping the tank lit with a fluorescent light, but would that encourage the growth of algae in the water?

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    tannin rich water is what is commonly known as blackwater. they are countless species of fish that not only survive in blackwater, but THRIVE in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Have no experience with Mossy frogs and hope one day I'm able to keep them. However; I do know a lot about fish, including some that love low pH tannin rich water.
    I stand corrected.

Another issue that I can see is that mossies don't want the water too deep. This may or may not be an issue for the fish, I have very little knowledge about keeping fish.
    The fish may also get poisoned from sharing the water with mossies. Not that they are the most poisenous species out there but still...

far from a correction Raya, just more information for everyone like Carlos, i have a heavy background in aquariums, especially planted tanks, and we love those little fishies!!LOL

the subject of toxicity always comes up in the FBT threads. yet, i know many FBT owners who keep fish with the FBT's. i actually do know a frogger who keeps vietnamese mossies with fish in a wonderful paludarium. although, i must add, said person is a very experienced frogger AND aquarist.

brett, any light will encourage algae growth, provided there are excess nutrients in the water. a few floating plants should absorb any extra nutrients, preventing algae growth.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

I personally have no experience with mossy frogs...however im well rounded with red eye tree frogs... in my rainchamber/vivarium combo... i have dwarf catfish and plecos.... To my amazment my red eyes WILL and HAVE eaten the dwarf catfish... I think I was the first to report them eating fish... I only found out when i found a fish skeleton in the poop!!! HAHA it was amazing!! I have lost 3 /10 dwarf catfish... in the past 2 months. I am almost positive it is just ONE particular female that eats them because she is ALWAYS down by the water as what i would like to call FISHING! =P Kinda like a cat looking into a pond for fish =P SHe does the same thing.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by CJ PELCHER View Post
    ...To my amazment my red eyes WILL and HAVE eaten the dwarf catfish....
    If dwarf Corydoras, it's risky, since species in genus have hard spines that could get stuck and damage frogs digestive system .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

I totally agree with you!!! Don't worry i removed them a few weeks ago. I don't want to waste money on them only to get them eaten...they are not as cheap as crickets/ roaches.

Thread Information