Thread: What 'rocks/minerals'' are safe for Aquariums? I want to engrave an Ancient Greek inscription for tank (Interesting thread!)

Default What 'rocks/minerals'' are safe for Aquariums? I want to engrave an Ancient Greek inscription for tank (Interesting thread!)

Hey there,

I'm a classicist, and I'm more focused on the languages rather than the history-society of Ancient Greece/Rome. My 200L tank is going to be classically themed, while trying to maintain some sort of 'natural' look for the frogs, so they don't feel incredibly alienated.

My initial idea was to buy replica Greek pottery (like this: GREEK GOD HAND MADE TERRA COTTA TRINKET BOX MUSEUM REPLICA | eBay)

^However, I wouldn't want to risk, since I didn't know what paint was used, same with materials. I don't want anything toxic or anything that could foul the water. So I've decided that I'll make my own Ancient Greek inscription, rather than buy one (this would be impossible anyway, either you buy an original inscription for thousands or an incorrect inscription sold to the mass for whatever reason)

So, not being very familiar with this particular area in frog keeping, could somebody please tell me what material/mineral/rock I could use that is completely safe and easy to crave onto? (I'll be carving the text onto the rock myself, and I may top it off with Acrylic paint later, since I've read that this is Aquarium-safe)

In short, I'm looking for:

A) A slate, nothing too heavy or chunky
    B) Clean and safe for aquariums. Smooth rock would be prefered, since my frogs have delicate webbing, wouldn't want to hurt them!
    C) Easy to scrape, carve and engrave
    D) If possible, easily accessible and cheap

I would appreciate any help, this topic may be sort of off-topic, but it is somewhat related to Aquatic Frogs and may be of interest to others.

I'll post pictures and the like later on. It may be an interesting project to follow!

Here is the text I'm planning on engraving:

A) Aristophanes's Frogs

This text is rather amusing, Aristophanes being one of the older and most famous comedy writers of Classical Greece, definitely the best of the 'Old Comedians', in contrast with the later 'New Comedians', such as Menander (whose comedy is rather dry, and not funny). You may have heard of somebody having Aristophanic Behaviour, as somebody who has a juvenile sense of humour. The part that I want to engrave for my tank is quite relevant. The title of the opus is indeed 'Frogs', and there is a particular section in which the frogs croak, and the Ancient Greek variant of a frog's sound is used. I think this will be an excellent piece to have as an inscription in my tank of Xenopus Tropicalis, it makes sense! Plus, it's a nice topic/conversation starter.

Here is the text in the original language:

βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ, (This is the most interesting part of this segment, here we have the onomatopoeic sound of the frogs. Basically, here we have the
    210βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ. Croak-Croak of Ancient Greek. The transcription goes as: Brekekekekeks Koaks Koaks. The passage continues with a description
    λιμναῖακρηνῶντέκνα, of some meadows and general scenery)
    ξύναυλονὕμνωνβοὰν
    φθεγξώμεθ᾽, εὔγηρυνἐμὰνἀοιδάν,
    κοὰξκοάξ,
    215ἣνἀμφὶΝυσήιον
    ΔιὸςΔιόνυσονἐν
    Λίμναισινἰαχήσαμεν,
    ἡνίχ᾽κραιπαλόκωμος
    τοῖςἱεροῖσιΧύτροισι
    χωρεῖκατ᾽ἐμὸντέμενοςλαῶνὄχλος.
    220βρεκεκεκὲξκοὰξκοάξ.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What 'rocks/minerals'' are safe for Aquariums? I want to engrave an Ancient Greek inscription for tank (Interesting thread!)

You might want to visit your local fish store and browse their decoration area. There might find some resin items by Penn Plax that simulate Greek like ruins, etc.

Also, they might have rocks for aquariums and if so; then you can determine if rocks can be carved or not.

Petsmart in USA has a line of aquarium decor called Top Fin and they also have resin "Greek" decor or similar: Top FinŽ Greek Pavillion with Airstone - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart and Top FinŽ Roman Ruins Building - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart. Not sure if there is that store at your location or if can order online; but hopefully this will help you a bit. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Default Re: What 'rocks/minerals'' are safe for Aquariums? I want to engrave an Ancient Greek inscription for tank (Interesting thread!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    You might want to visit your local fish store and browse their decoration area. There might find some resin items by Penn Plax that simulate Greek like ruins, etc.

Also, they might have rocks for aquariums and if so; then you can determine if rocks can be carved or not.

Petsmart in USA has a line of aquarium decor called Top Fin and they also have resin "Greek" decor or similar: Top FinŽ Greek Pavillion with Airstone - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart and Top FinŽ Roman Ruins Building - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart. Not sure if there is that store at your location or if can order online; but hopefully this will help you a bit. Good luck !

Thanks, but I already know exactly what decorations I'll be getting. Here where I live (and of course Ebay) has a wide selection of Ancient Greek/Roman themed aquarium decorations. What I'm looking for is truly unique, I think. I very much doubt that somebody has a home-made inscription of Aristophanes's 'Frogs' in their aquarium!

I need help with the slate upon which I will write/carve the text. This material in question needs to be safe and clean for my aquarium. I was hoping that I would find help here on that particular issue.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Necromencer View Post
    ... I need help with the slate upon which I will write/carve the text. This material in question needs to be safe and clean for my aquarium. I was hoping that I would find help here on that particular issue.
    I would go to nearest funerary and talk to person in charge of carved headstones. Think they could get you a thinner (headstones are thick and heavy) piece of granite or marble and carve it for you, or just sell you the stone and you can carve it yourself. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

slate is fine to use. i have used italian slate from a defunct billiard table in my aquariums before with no issues. not sure where you would find it in your country though. limestone is a no no. it will release minerals into the water, making it very alkaline and hard. like carlos mentioned, marble and granite are ok. i would also stay away from sand stone. you can do a quick test on any rock for it's "usability". a couple drops of vinegar on the rock will do. if it fizzes and bubbles, don't use it
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

8. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    slate is fine to use. i have used italian slate from a defunct billiard table in my aquariums before with no issues. not sure where you would find it in your country though. limestone is a no no. it will release minerals into the water, making it very alkaline and hard. like carlos mentioned, marble and granite are ok. i would also stay away from sand stone. you can do a quick test on any rock for it's "usability". a couple drops of vinegar on the rock will do. if it fizzes and bubbles, don't use it
    Excellent advice, this is exactly the information I needed. Limestone is used frequently in Greek epigraphy, so it's good to know that I should avoid it. I like the way you've given me the vinegar tip, that is excellent advice. I can actually start planning my project now.

And to Carlos, thanks for the tips, if I can't buy the material online, I'll go to a funerary and look there. I don't think I would have thought about that had I have not read your comment.

Excellent advice guys, I'll post a photo in the near future of the project.

Nationality
    [United States]

Here is an old thread of mine on Dendroboard that touches on semi precious stone/mineral/metal safety (and possibilities!) a bit...
    http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...struction.html

But one thing you can do with just about anything... is spray it down in clear plasti dip, or clear spray polyurethane (generally food safe in most forms once cured), both should be inert non toxic coatings when dry and which waterproof the material and prevent leaching of anything harmful.

Slate should work fine though.
    PICS (Animals, drawings, girls, vivs, fishing, me, plants..etc..etc..)
    http://tiny.cc/tyjgex
    http://tiny.cc/n1jgex

YTUBE (Vivarium Special FX and other ****)
    http://tiny.cc/rge64x

Thread Information