Thread: HELP, my baby pacman frog wont eat!!!!

BeardedSnailurd

Default HELP, my baby pacman frog wont eat!!!!

Hello, I went on sunday to go to an expo and I bought a baby pacman frog! But sadly he wont eat ANYTHING Ive waited and waited because I know they have to get used to there habitat and whatnot. But he/she wont eat its been almost a week! He lives in a Exo Terra medium sized terrarium, eco earth substrate, heat pad,heat lamp, water bowl, and a random little plant. I use clean water I spritz him every day have a 12 hour on off with the lamp. he/she comes out in the morning but is never interested in food when I place the food in front of JUGG (frog name) he just goes back into his burrow like he is running from it! Please help meh

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BeardedSnailurd

Default Re: HELP, my baby pacman frog wont eat!!!!

Oh and i forgot to mention he did leave me a "present" one morning. Also i managed to open his mouth and place a worm in there so he ate it. but this was acouple days ago and he looks abit big.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Read this and answer the questions. http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html
    Repost the answers here in your thread.

BeardedSnailurd

I pretty much just answered all those questions up top..... But AGAIN he lives in an exo terra medium sized tank, uses fresh clean water, eco earth substrate,has a water bowl temps in day are 75 to 80 at night 65 to 70, rarely handled only had him for about a week, has a heat pad, has a heat lamp 12 hour on off cycle, heat pad is on all the time has a background, has proper ventilahtion.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedSnailurd View Post
    I pretty much just answered all those questions up top..... But AGAIN he lives in an exo terra medium sized tank, uses fresh clean water, eco earth substrate,has a water bowl temps in day are 75 to 80 at night 65 to 70, rarely handled only had him for about a week, has a heat pad, has a heat lamp 12 hour on off cycle, heat pad is on all the time has a background, has proper ventilahtion.
    Do you dechlorinate the water you're using for the frog? This means all water including the water dish, misting, and water used to expand the substrate.

Post pictures of the setup and the frog as well.

Pyxiefan001

I've never owned a Pacman but based on everything I've read from those who have on here, it sounds like your temperatures are a bit too low and that could be the cause of the frog's lack of appetite. Most people round here suggest low 80s during the day and no lower than mid 70s at night. Try increasing the temps to those levels and see if that helps. Also it might help if you posted a pic of the enclosure.

Nationality
    [Canada]

wait, you are saying he lives in med sized exo terra, meaning he lives in 18x18x18, that way way way too big for a baby. you need exo terra nano or medium sized critter keeper, nothing bigger then 8x8 or similar for a baby, he is scared in big space, when you scared to become food you are not likely to eat yourself
    next - temps are too low for night and day too, you want to keep day at 80-82 ( no less then 80) and night 76-78.
    heat pad - where is it located? didn't quite get .
    and reply to Grifs what kind of water do you use.
    pls post pic of a frog as well. thanks
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

BeardedSnailurd

Ok, thank you for replys and he uses clean water I cant do anything about heat because he has a heat lamp and a heat pad so I cant do much more than that. Also woops! i didnt know it was to big for a baby! He has alot of cover though I added a log that he hides under and actualy seems fine, he runs around at night i hear him jumping , flicking dirt every where what pacman frogs do. But he just wont eat ;( I took him out of his cage today to feed him but he just ran away from worms and crickets! I tryed to leave him in his cage to feed but when he sees me hes like " boy you crazy? you think im stupid? i aint comin ou youll eat me!!" then he burrows away so i took him out of his cage and he just stood there shocked it looked like. For the heatpad its under one side of the tank, but before you guys go ape **** on me! If i put it on the side of the tank it will burn the side of the tank and even the guy I bought it from said its fine on ONE side of the bottom of the tank. I got the frog at an expo so this guy knows what hes doing ( I hope). Also my pacman frog doesnt burrow all the way and I know they burrow to get cool I have the heatpad on the warm side including the heatlamp! Also I dont know how to post picture on here.

BeardedSnailurd

lol it wont let me say ape crapp

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello, I went on sunday to go to an expo and I bought a baby pacman frog! But sadly he wont eat ANYTHING Ive waited and waited because I know they have to get used to there habitat and whatnot. But he/she wont eat its been almost a week! He lives in a Exo Terra medium sized terrarium, eco earth substrate, heat pad,heat lamp, water bowl, and a random little plant. I use clean water I spritz him every day have a 12 hour on off with the lamp. he/she comes out in the morning but is never interested in food when I place the food in front of JUGG (frog name) he just goes back into his burrow like he is running from it! Please help meh
    Oh and i forgot to mention he did leave me a "present" one morning. Also i managed to open his mouth and place a worm in there so he ate it. but this was acouple days ago and he looks abit big.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Read this and answer the questions. http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frogs/14721-trouble-enclosure.html
    Repost the answers here in your thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    wait, you are saying he lives in med sized exo terra, meaning he lives in 18x18x18, that way way way too big for a baby. you need exo terra nano or medium sized critter keeper, nothing bigger then 8x8 or similar for a baby, he is scared in big space, when you scared to become food you are not likely to eat yourself
    next - temps are too low for night and day too, you want to keep day at 80-82 ( no less then 80) and night 76-78.
    heat pad - where is it located? didn't quite get .
    and reply to Grifs what kind of water do you use.
    pls post pic of a frog as well. thanks
    Ok, thank you for replys and he uses clean water I cant do anything about heat because he has a heat lamp and a heat pad so I cant do much more than that. Also woops! i didnt know it was to big for a baby! He has alot of cover though I added a log that he hides under and actualy seems fine, he runs around at night i hear him jumping , flicking dirt every where what pacman frogs do. But he just wont eat ;( I took him out of his cage today to feed him but he just ran away from worms and crickets! I tryed to leave him in his cage to feed but when he sees me hes like " boy you crazy? you think im stupid? i aint comin ou youll eat me!!" then he burrows away so i took him out of his cage and he just stood there shocked it looked like. For the heatpad its under one side of the tank, but before you guys go ape **** on me! If i put it on the side of the tank it will burn the side of the tank and even the guy I bought it from said its fine on ONE side of the bottom of the tank. I got the frog at an expo so this guy knows what hes doing ( I hope). Also my pacman frog doesnt burrow all the way and I know they burrow to get cool I have the heatpad on the warm side including the heatlamp! Also I dont know how to post picture on here.
    Hello and sorry your frog is not doing well . It's clear to me you are confused by conflicting information while searching for answers in many places. We at the forum go to great extents to help members to keep healthy frogs or to try and bring them back into health. If you mix advice from Youtube videos, frog seller at Expo, and what we tell you here; that is not going to work and sadly your frog will pay the consequences.

Please take a moment and review the quoted posts. Also, read again your first thread, posted before you got your frog: http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...tml#post174602. It is clear to me your Pacman is not only very stressed out, but has associated you with a threat. Handling and force feeding a stressed out frog the first week it's placed on a huge enclosure is not good. By the way, a happy healthy Pacman stays put half burrowed more or less in the same place. Moving around the enclosure is a sign of stress... of insecurity and wanting to get out of there ! Her enclosure is too big, too cold, the humidity is unknown, and the water is "clean" but we still don't know if it's dechlorinated tap water or what .

Your Pacman needs you to answer all those questions on the link Grift provided and you need to follow the Pacman Care Article enclosure parameters (linked on first thread)! It's health and maybe even life depends on it. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

BeardedSnailurd

lol! Not like running aorund help me!! he switches between his log burrow and his main burrow XD he digs and when I turn on his herp light he burrows showing a sign that its morning, and at night I turn his light off then he comes out and switches to his log burrow and he has every thing he needs! A heat lamp ontop of tank, heatpad, clean water and I havent bothered him in days now! I only spritx his tank etc. I have a 12 hour on off cycle and to be honest he seems quite happy and not very stressed! The only thing he does is not eat. I try and feedd about every other day. The temps in the day are 75 to 85 ranges from and at night they drop to like at the lowest 65 to 75. Also why would he associate me as a threat!! My cousin got one to except albino and he runs around with his and takes no good care of it! and his eats sleeps fine I take better care of mine and of course I get struck with the impression I have bad husbandry! I AM NOT STUPIDD i TAKE CARE OF MY FROG!! My cousins frog ate the next day mine just runs away from food i dont know what i did wrong! I didnt even force feed him! his mouth opened abit after i had the worm near his mouth so i plopped it in there before he could close it! ergh! I can not even type write now!

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol! Not like running aorund help me!! he switches between his log burrow and his main burrow XD he digs and when I turn on his herp light he burrows showing a sign that its morning, and at night I turn his light off then he comes out and switches to his log burrow and he has every thing he needs! A heat lamp ontop of tank, heatpad, clean water and I havent bothered him in days now! I only spritx his tank etc. I have a 12 hour on off cycle and to be honest he seems quite happy and not very stressed! The only thing he does is not eat. I try and feedd about every other day. The temps in the day are 75 to 85 ranges from and at night they drop to like at the lowest 65 to 75. Also why would he associate me as a threat!! My cousin got one to except albino and he runs around with his and takes no good care of it! and his eats sleeps fine I take better care of mine and of course I get struck with the impression I have bad husbandry! I AM NOT STUPIDD i TAKE CARE OF MY FROG!! My cousins frog ate the next day mine just runs away from food i dont know what i did wrong! I didnt even force feed him! his mouth opened abit after i had the worm near his mouth so i plopped it in there before he could close it! ergh! I can not even type write now!
    look, I'm a bit confused here, why are you asking for help if you are dismissing everything we are advising you, if you know better I wish you luck, if a baby frog doesn't eat for so long that is a very bright shiny sign that husbandry is off or frog is sick or both. if I were you I would take help given and try to fix things instead of giving us attitude.
    no offense intended, i just feel sorry for a frog.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

lol! Not like running aorund help me!! he switches between his log burrow and his main burrow XD he digs and when I turn on his herp light he burrows showing a sign that its morning, and at night I turn his light off then he comes out and switches to his log burrow and he has every thing he needs! A heat lamp ontop of tank, heatpad, clean water and I havent bothered him in days now! I only spritx his tank etc. I have a 12 hour on off cycle and to be honest he seems quite happy and not very stressed! The only thing he does is not eat. I try and feedd about every other day. The temps in the day are 75 to 85 ranges from and at night they drop to like at the lowest 65 to 75. Also why ywould he associate me as a threat!! My cousin got one to except albino and he runs around with his and takes no good care of it! and his eats sleeps fine I take better care of mine and of course I get struck with the impression I have bad husbandry! I AM NOT STUPIDD i TAKE CARE OF MY FROG!! My cousins frog ate the next day mine just runs away from food i dont know what i did wrong! I didnt even force feed him! his mouth opened abit after i had the worm near his mouth so i plopped it in there before he could close it! ergh! I can not even type write now!
    You need to calm down. I can tell you from this post that your problem is your husbandry. Your frog should neverbbe exposed to temps below 75° F. 65° is insanely low for a tropical frog. They pretty much never are exposed to such low temps. At night you should never go below 76° F. If you actually listen to us we can help you, but when you ask for help and then automatically go on the defensive when you are told you're wrong then you are basically telling everyone here that they don't know what they are talking about and I can assure you that we do know what we are doing.

Do as you are advised and we can solve your problem. As for how you cousin treats their pet. This is in no way relevent to your frog. Each frog is different just as you and I are and one may never become stressed and others are a nervous reck.

Your tank is too large which makes heating it extremely difficult. A very large tank also makes it difficult for them to catch food becausebthey are sit and wait predators and do not chase their food often.

Listen to what experts tell you. If you knew absolutely everything you are doing is correct then you would not need to come here and ask for help.

Please listen to what everyone is advising including myself. We are here to help you.

Thread Information