Thread: Just a question few questions from a new frog owner

Douschnozzel

Default Just a question few questions from a new frog owner

1. Size of enclosure= 10 gallon
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences = Just one
    3. Humidity = Between 60-80, I'm gone a lot of the day so I wish I could mist more.
    4. Temperature = Exactly where is should be during the day and during the night. (What the sticky on this site says)
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - Declorinated, I keep it in a gallon jug and never use tap water.
    6. Materials used for substrate - Coconut fiber that everyone recommends.
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. = Fake plant I got from a local pet store, let it soak and then rinsed it off in the same water I use to mist the frog.
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source - Night crawlers, Frog doesn't care much for crickets, I'm going to get it a pinkie soon I think.
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often) -I do that D3 calcium on a worm every third worm I feed him.
    10. Lighting - Just a normal heat lamp with the same wattage bulb that is recommended on the sticky.
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure - Heat pad on the side of the tank, Its only a five gallon heat pad. And I have the Light on him during the day, but the temp doesn't even get too high.
    12. When is the last time he/she ate - Yesterday morning, this morning he was mostly burrowed, so I'm going to dangle I worm for him tonight.
    13. Have you found poop lately - No I have not, I haven't seen him move in a few days though.
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine) - I'll work on this when I get home tonight.
    15. How old is the frog - I think maybe 3 months?
    16. How long have you owned him/her - It's been about a month and a half now.
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred - Captive.
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats - Only nightcrawlers and a few crickets, he stopped eating the crickets though. I want to maybe give him a pinkie sometime, see if he likes it.
    19. How often the frog is handled - Never, I don't want to make him sick with my hands or anything, I took him out two weekends ago to change the substrate, I just moved him into a critter keeper with some wet paper towels.
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area - Low traffic, he is on the bottom half of a stand, up top we have a 20 gallon long tank with a speckled king snake in it. I keep the bedroom door shut during the day so the cat and dog don't mess with the tank.
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc) - I change the water if he uses it to bathe, (he used to do this every three nights, but I haven't seen him do it since I changed the substrate.) So I changed the water after five days of not seeing him use it. I spray the tank in the morning and when I get home from work to keep the humidity the best I can.

All that said....He honestly hasn't moved at all since I changed the substrate two weekends ago. I mentioned how he hasn't used his water dish, he used to be in there almost every night. I have a dry side and a wet side like I read I should, and he just stays in the dry side all the time. Should I spray him directly with water? Or should I just assume that he will go to the wet side if he really wanted too? Like I mentioned, he mainly eats nightcrawlers, should I be concerned? Am I hurting him by not offering other food this past month? He didn't eat the crickets the last two times I tried.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Just a question few questions from a new frog owner

#5 is that spring water or distilled water?

The reason I ask is that Distilled water is good for misting and cleaning only.
    Spring or dechlorinated water is good for use in its water bowl and water features like fountains ect. ect.
    you can use it for misting but it might leave spots on the glass.

I am assuming that the frog in question is a pixie or packman frog.

As for feeding I would ask grifthegreat

CAIO

Douschnozzel

It is spring water, and is the only reason spring is, "bad" is because of the stains on glass? It's still healthy for the frog if I mist with that, right? Thanks for the Reply.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

yes it is ok, it just has minerals in it that the frog needs.

you just don't want to use distilled water for its water bowl and soaks.

Douschnozzel

OK cool, I just don't understand why he wont leave the "dry" side of the tank. Do you think I should spray him?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Douschnozzel View Post
    OK cool, I just don't understand why he wont leave the "dry" side of the tank. Do you think I should spray him?
    Never spray the frog directly. Also there should never actually be a "dry" spot in the enclosure. All the substrate should be uniformly moist. Post some pictures of the frog and it's enclosure.

Nationality
    [Canada]

All that said....He honestly hasn't moved at all since I changed the substrate two weekends ago. I mentioned how he hasn't used his water dish, he used to be in there almost every night. I have a dry side and a wet side like I read I should, and he just stays in the dry side all the time. Should I spray him directly with water? Or should I just assume that he will go to the wet side if he really wanted too? Like I mentioned, he mainly eats nightcrawlers, should I be concerned? Am I hurting him by not offering other food this past month? He didn't eat the crickets the last two times I tried.

you can feed him nightcrawlers mostly, if he is ok with tongs you can do pac food once in a while, hornworms.
    didn't quite get what do you mean by wet side and dry side, how dry is dry side? substrate everywhere should be wet, but not mud like. as for staing in one spot, they all do that, they have their favorite spot and might move around a bit during the night, but then return back giving you an ilusion that didn't move
    everything seems to be all right judged by your description.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Douschnozzel

I guess I must have misread something when I was doing research. I have been mainly misting one side of the tank, and not the other side. He only stays over by the "dry" side though. I read I shouldn't be spraying him directly, which is another reason one side is dryer. I'm at work, so I can try and post a few pictures when I get home. Its definitely dry though, the other side is kept pretty wet, he just doesn't go over there. I feed him with tongs every time I feed him, he's never seemed to have a problem with it. Is there a trick so spraying without spraying him directly? Like aim for the walls or something?

Edit: Just wanted to say thanks for the reply's by the way. When I first started lurking this forum I thought you guys were nuts for having so many frogs. But now I find myself wanting to set up another tank. Want to make sure I get everything right with my first frog before I get another one.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I guess I must have misread something when I was doing research. I have been mainly misting one side of the tank, and not the other side. He only stays over by the "dry" side though. I read I shouldn't be spraying him directly, which is another reason one side is dryer. I'm at work, so I can try and post a few pictures when I get home. Its definitely dry though, the other side is kept pretty wet, he just doesn't go over there. I feed him with tongs every time I feed him, he's never seemed to have a problem with it. Is there a trick so spraying without spraying him directly? Like aim for the walls or something?

Edit: Just wanted to say thanks for the reply's by the way. When I first started lurking this forum I thought you guys were nuts for having so many frogs. But now I find myself wanting to set up another tank. Want to make sure I get everything right with my first frog before I get another one.
    if you have a fine mist it is ok just to mist all over the cage, i flood ( within common sense of course substrate once in a week or so if substrate is getting dry.

lol congratulation you are on frog addiction stage 1 so far!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post
    ...I am assuming that the frog in question is a pixie or packman frog. ...
    Yep, I'm curious too; what kind of frog are we talking about? Also, how long is frog from snout to vent?

IRT spring water being safe; yes if truly from a spring. Distilled water is only for spraying enclosure. De-ionized or Reverse Osmosis (RO) should not be used and filtered water still needs to be treated with chlorine remover (same as tap). Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Douschnozzel

Oh sorry, it's a Pacman. My girlfriend has the digital camera, so when she gets home from class I'll have to snap a few pictures. He's fully burrowed at the moment, but I sprayed the dry side as soon as I got home. Hopefully I haven't been hurting him or anything. He eats really well.

Thread Information