Thread: YELLOW spots now on BOTH frogs, really beginning to think it's natural but need input

Gentlemangorath

Default YELLOW spots now on BOTH frogs, really beginning to think it's natural but need input

So I thought after last night that Verde was fine, since he had eaten three crickets, had shown no sign of illness, the spots had gone away again. This morning, I found that Verde has those spots again, but Boom now also has these spots on his back. I know Boom has had white spots on his back since I got him, but these yellow spots are new for him. Again, I just want to double check before I take him to the vet, because I just tried to set up an appointment and it's ~$42 per frog for the visit (and I'm a broke college student >_<), and I'm finding more and more confirming evidence that American Green Tree Frogs develop yellow spots as they mature. It would just seem odd that Boom gets them just days after Verde, but coincidences do happen. Unfortunately Dr Frye was not available for a second opinion, so I'm once again turning to FF in hopes that someone knows for a fact whether or not these yellow spots are normal, or a sign of illness. I'm also gonna include any pictures of other frogs with the spots/sources confirming that yellow spots are a sign of aging.

H cinerea: "Green Treefrogs may frequently be identified by the presence of small, yellow spots on the dorsum, a feature which may distinguish otherwise unmarked individuals from the similar Squirrel Treefrog (Hyla squirella).

http://fl.biology.usgs.gov/herps/Fro...ea/cinerea.jpg-Image I posted before in the previous topic, shows a frog that looks a lot "worse" than mine, but claims it's a normal

Yahoo question with pretty much the same thing I think: My green tree frog has yellow spots on its skin- why? - Yahoo! Answers, response being "It is normal, its a sign of maturity."

Another website supporting this: Repxotic - Green Tree Frog Care "occasionally you will find frogs that also have small yellow spots scattered on their back."

And finally, excerpt from the Wiki page on AGTF's mentioning gold specks:
    "Small patches of gold or white may occur on the skin"

I'm sorry for being so obnoxious with these topics, but I'm really concerned for my frogs. This seems like it may be natural and
    I was really hoping Dr Frye was going to be able to confirm if it was illness or natural for the frog, but as mentioned, he isn't available and I really wouldn't want to pay anywhere from 50-100+ dollars just to have that confirmed, so I'm hoping for a second opinion. I'm really in dire need of some feedback so I know if I'm taking my frogs to the vet ASAP. Thank you in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: YELLOW spots now on BOTH frogs, really beginning to think it's natural but need input

Define normal. One of my red eye females is COVERED in white spots (not the disease). But its claimed as normal..but looks horrible... I think it just a reaction that a frog gets to an element change in their life and thats how their skin reacts.

Gentlemangorath

Default Re: YELLOW spots now on BOTH frogs, really beginning to think it's natural but need input

Well by normal I mean that it's naturally occurring, and not a sign of illness or anything. I just didn't know that they develop yellow spots as they age, and I'm hoping someone would be able to confirm it, but I don't seem to have anyone to ask. Everything else about my little guys is fine, they're plenty active, still eating, pooping normal (not runny at all), no signs of abnormality. It's just these yellow spots that have popped up, and I don't want to go to the vet and pay 40-80 dollars just to be told, yes those are normal for H. cinerea. Thank you for the reply though CJ, it further makes me think that these yellow spots are equivalent to the normal white spots on RETF's and WTF's.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

good luck abraham =) If i knew a solid answer i would give it to you!

Thread Information