Thread: Brownish spots on American GTF?

Gentlemangorath

Default Brownish spots on American GTF?

I walked into my room, and found that Verde looks really off. Aside from being near black (which Boom was as well), Verde has what seems like brownish spots on his back, different from the white spots that the frogs usually have. Does this look bad, or is it just substrate on his back somehow, and I'm over reacting? As much as I want him to be fine, and to not have to pay a vet bill, I'll take him to the local vet that apparently can treat frogs (never been there before but they treat frogs apparently) if this is a sign of some sort of infection. No other issues but this, they were both fed yesterday, he seems plenty active (tried to eat my finger when I tried to pick him up for the photo), found some poop in the water dish this morning that I assume was from him, but I dont know. I'll take another look when he comes back out of hiding in the artificial plant, but I'm reallllllly hoping he's ok .

And just for a comparison, a shot of him normal. He really does look ill I think .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gentlemangorath

Default Re: Brownish spots on American GTF?

The spots haven't gone away, and are now beginning to look green, so I really do think there is something wrong with him. Any feedback would be well appreciated . I don't have a lot of time during these coming days to take him to a vet, so if there is something wrong, I'll have to get on that A.S.A.P .

Just gonna include the questionnaire, forgot to do that.

1-size of enclosure- 12x12x18
    2-# on inhabitants - specifically ( if there is another frog ---size differences ?) - 2, don't know the exact sizes, but Verde (the sick one), is bigger
    3-humidity - roughly around 70-80%, but sometimes can take a dip if I'm away for a bit. It's been as low as ~35% I hate to say.
    4-temp-75-77 degrees, sometimes hits 80 degrees (despite being april, it's still kind of cold in northern NY)
    5-water - type - for both misting and soaking dish - dechlorinated tap water
    6-materials used for substrate - coco fiber
    7-enclosure set up i.e. plants( live or artificial) wood, bark etc -how were things prepared prior to being put into the viv - everything artificial, plastic plants, fluker's vine. I doused them all in hot water when I change the tank, then spray everything down with dechlorinated water.
    8-main food source - crickets
    9-vitamins and calcium ? ( how often )- vit w/d3 every other day during feedings, vitamin once a week
    10-lighting - 13w 2.0 compact bulb
    11-what is, specifically, being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure digital hygrometer/thermometer
    12-when is the last time he ate - two days ago
    13-have you found poop lately - two days ago, looked fine, solid, not runny
    14-a pic would be great ( including the frog ) any little cell phone pic is fine -included
    15- how old is the frog - don't know exact age, purchased him from store
    16-how long have you owned him- alittle over 2 months
    17- is the frog wild caught or captive bred- i believe petsmart has WC frogs, so WC
    18- frog food- how often and if its diverse what other feeders are used as treats -once every two days, crickets only, 2-3 (small, large are too big) crickets per little guy.
    19- about how often the frog is handled - as sparesly as possible, yesterday was the first time handling him in probably 3 weeks+.
    20-is the enclosure is kept in a high or low traffic area low traffic area, my room.

Update-Just took a look at him again-again, and he doesn't look like he has those spots anymore >_<. I'm so confused, but worried . I'm including a third pic, of him in his usual spot (under the lamp), with focus on his back. It really doesn't look a thing like it did last night, or even this morning, when I could have sworn I saw greenish spots.

Last edited by Gentlemangorath; April 24th, 2013 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Additional information

Gentlemangorath

The spots are back again, about three hours after I posted that picture. I tried to upload the picture I took but photobucket isn't working, so idk. These are green spots on his back, if anyone has any idea if this is bacterial, fungal, parasites, whatever, any input is very appreciated. I feel like Boom is starting to get these spots too, but idk. I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid, but I really feel something is wrong. I also want to wait for a fecal sample if I can, but it's hard to just wait around for them to go to the bathroom to get a sample. Blegh.

Managed to get photobucket to upload the photo. Idk if these spots are coming and going, but I am ultimately concerned. Please, if anyone has any input, it would be so very appreciated. I don't want to lose another pair of frogs . Also, if anyone wants to tell me where I can get gloves for handling them, I would appreciate that too. I'll probably be using gloves from here on out, especially if they're sick, but I don't know what kinds are safe or where to get them.

Edit: literally took a look at Verde after editing the old picture in, and the spots look like they're gone. Again. Seriously, this worrying is driving me crazier than all my college work I have due.

Gentlemangorath

Another update, in hopes someone might be able to provide some feedback to my situation. The spots aren't gone, however I tried to research these spots and what could be the cause, and could only find cases involving White's Tree Frogs. In some cases they said it could be dehydration, some said it could be a bacterial infection, others say it's natural bumps in some cases. I also stumbled across this website that claims that Hyla cinerea develop yellowish spots on their back, and that it is natural for them. Personally, I want to believe that it's the natural spots, but I also have an inclination to believe it could be dehydration. I checked up on Verde about 30 minutes ago, and he was having a soak in the water dish, plus his skin looks kind of dried out . Whatever the case, all I'm really looking for is someone to either confirm that I have nothing to worry about (perhaps that it's the natural spots), or that yes, this seems off and that I should get my frog checked out at my local vet. If I don't get any sort of response I'll still be taking a fecal sample to the vet at least, but I'm really hoping it that this is me just overreacting.

Here's the website, as well as a link to the image they have of an H. cinerea with yellow spots on its back. This almost looks like what Verde has going on, but not as yellow, more of a light green I feel.

H cinerea

http://fl.biology.usgs.gov/herps/Fro...ea/cinerea.jpg

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Abraham,
    I'm so sorry no one has come by to help out
    I have no experience with this species, at all... only white's and red eyed leaf frogs.
    I would comment that if this were my frog, I would seek vet help, just in case.
    The picture you posted this morning, the frog looks fine! But you're right, in the others, the blotchy color is concerning. I would gander to guess bacterial, or fungal. Either Metro or baytril could/may treat this. Both meds are reasonably priced, you only pay for the shipping in addition to the medications.
    Dr. Frye (info listed in the sticky at top of forum) is wonderful. I've worked with him before. Send him a link to this thread via email.
    He only charges for the meds, not anything above that. I've found him to be a great resource. No need to bring the frog to a vet (which further stresses the frog). Dr. Frye is pretty good at assessing issues with pics, and yours are very good.
    Good luck!
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

And forgot to add:
    Quarantine this frog just in case? Separate from your other frog in a hospital tank....
    Here's the link with info on hospital tanks, and Dr. Frye's contact info.
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-supplies.html
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Gentlemangorath

Thank you for the input, and the recommendation of Dr Frye. I was hoping I might be able to ask him about this since I've heard he really is just great with frogs. I also am trying on my own to get in contact with a professor who apparently knows a fair deal about frog biology, in hopes that maybe he knows something about the species and the traits/signs of illness. And no worries about the response, I'm more sorry that I posted so much, I was just worried for my little guys. The last pair I had fell ill and passed on the same day for both of them, and I really don't want to let that happen again. But I'm going to email Dr Frye, and hopefully I can figure out what's wrong with him and get him better. As for a quarantine tank, all I have is a critter keeper atm. Also, he honestly seems fine behavior wise, his poo (I assume it was his) two days ago was fine, and he isn't lethargic at all, so it really makes me think (more hope, but it's a thought as well) that it may just be natural spots. Either way though, I'll probably try to bring fecal samples to the vet, hopefully tomorrow.

Gentlemangorath

And another minor update, just fed them after cleaning/changing the tank, Verde was plenty active and ate three crickets, same as Boom, further making me believe maybe it is just natural spots after all..... I'm gonna try to get a fecal sample in the morning hopefully, bring it to the vet, and see what they can do. I've also messaged Dr. Frye and referenced this topic, so hopefully he'll have some feedback as well. Spots don't seem to be present atm either.

Thread Information