Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with my western toads.. Chytrid suspected (pics)

demon amphibians

Default Re: Problems with my western toads.. Chytrid suspected (pics)

the thing about this is that they stop digesting food, there metabolism shuts down completely. as do other normal bodily functions. I did take one of my frogs to the vet and the doc was for certain it was in fact red leg. that was the first sick frog i encountered, since I have had over 30 frogs die of this. Not one of them shed when the symptoms were present. Only 2 attempted to eat, those where the ones that lived longer then a few days in fact i had one live 9 months with this infection and it was the one i took to the vet and was diagnosed with chytrid. Yes he died in the end as did the rest of the wild caught American bullfrogs even though i did my best to keep them going the one who lived the longest was named hacksaw. hemorrhaging is what kills them. Bursting blood vessels, red spots, bruise type marks on them. Trust me on this you cant confuse reg leg with anything else. it is possible for them to shed no doubt. About 40 percent of carriers live with it. But to go as far as saying that the lack of shedding disproves they have red leg..... I think not.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Now would be a good time for all posters to take a deep breath and wait for Eli to update us on his toads condition . Last I heard of them, they appeared to be adapting and were still active and eating . I do hope they are fine and all is well !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with carlos =)

demon amphibians

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Now would be a good time for all posters to take a deep breath and wait for Eli to update us on his toads condition . Last I heard of them, they appeared to be adapting and were still active and eating . I do hope they are fine and all is well !
    true dat.

toadman

Hello Eli! How are your toads doing? Just read through your initial post again and the last sentence drew my attention. The reddened area is on toad's belly which is what sits on the chamomile water. Could you please tell us how are you using this chamomille (fresh, tea bags, timed soaks, always in water, etc.). Thank you !
    Heya Carlos, I picked up some dried/fresh chamomile from my moms, and put about 1 cup or so in a fairly large pot filled one quarter of the way with water and (as you could guess) made tea then set it out to cool down and steep. I soaked them in some of the tea in a bin for a few minutes. And in the quarantine tank I just sprinkled some of the crushed flowers (and put a little bit of the tea in their bowl).

Oh and three days ago, the first toad (I actually named him Carlos, after the author Carlos Castaneda lol) shed' his skin just like any ole' normal toad would. And the second one seems completely fine now. He's got his color back and both of their redness is gone. If this was just nothing but my worrying, then I'm sorry and will make sure to not post a thread unless it seems more serious (it must get old for you guys. All those pages of "my frog's sick")

Sorry I couldn't get back sooner. Thanks.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Everyone wants to help =) no worries

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by toadman View Post
    Heya Carlos, I picked up some dried/fresh chamomile from my moms, and put about 1 cup or so in a fairly large pot filled one quarter of the way with water and (as you could guess) made tea then set it out to cool down and steep. I soaked them in some of the tea in a bin for a few minutes. And in the quarantine tank I just sprinkled some of the crushed flowers (and put a little bit of the tea in their bowl).
    OK, just remember to use dechlorinated water for your home made brew.

Oh and three days ago, the first toad (I actually named him Carlos, after the author Carlos Castaneda lol) shed' his skin just like any ole' normal toad would. And the second one seems completely fine now. He's got his color back and both of their redness is gone. If this was just nothing but my worrying, then I'm sorry and will make sure to not post a thread unless it seems more serious (it must get old for you guys. All those pages of "my frog's sick")
    Think name is cool and doubt Castaneda will complain about it .

Sorry I couldn't get back sooner. Thanks.
    We much rather get you ready, and even argument about treatment, than being contacted too late to save a frog. Give a hug to Carlos from me and good luck to you and the toads !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Haven't heard for you in a while, how are the toads?

toadman

Haven't heard for you in a while, how are the toads?
    The toads have made a full recovery, their skin is back to normal and the redness is 100% gone, so I would say their as good as a toad gets!
    I would post some pictures but I released them 4 days ago, (while the mating season is still on) back where I found them, back where they belong!
    Sorry for not putting any consideration in updating the thread for so long. This time of year is just the most, well, exiting time of year for me, I'm mostly out on the countryside exploring, all day every day till dark. Also, after this whole thing, I've made sure to clean my gear after a day in the field.

I think I'm just gonna stick to raising baby toads and tadpoles for now on.

Also, I've collected some western toad eggs about 1 and a half weeks ago. It's a shame I haven't been photographing the process up until now, but I think I will start today and post a little thread with pics (and with a real camera this time)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information