Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *dixie* is sick!!!!!

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default *dixie* is sick!!!!!

SO for you avid frog people you probably noticed i havnt been on all weekend. Well im back from vacation and noticed my blue red eye tree frog is SICK! (DIXIE)

SHe for the first time turned GREEN and MULTI COLORED SICKENING GREEN. her belly is RED and pink unlike her normal white. She can hardly move. I quarantined her and will start treatment tomorrow. *as i came home to late at night to do anything tonight other than just a electrolyte bath which i dont think will do anything.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: *dixie* is sick!!!!!

I am sorry to hear that. I hope she pulls through! I hate to ask this but was she in the same enclosure as the other red eye you lost?

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

yea but she as different symptoms. SHe still has alot more will to survive per-say. .. however i am breaking down the enclosure today anyway. i got a special treatment for the enclosure the day i went on vacation. Im also treating all 14 frogs today just in case. Vet bill = OUTRAGEOUS!!

ICFrogs

Oh No! So Sorry!
    Hope she pulls through it.
    Fingers Crossed and Prayers for a recovery.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by CJ PELCHER View Post
    yea but she as different symptoms. SHe still has alot more will to survive per-say. .. however i am breaking down the enclosure today anyway. i got a special treatment for the enclosure the day i went on vacation. Im also treating all 14 frogs today just in case. Vet bill = OUTRAGEOUS!!
    Did the vet say what is wrong?

Nationality
    [United States]

Corey,
    How is she doing ?
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Just to give everyone an update...I brought her to the vet. She has a bacterial infection. The Dr. Prescribed her "FORTEZ" 100mg/ml. I give her one shot ever other day. She has gotten her first shot today. Her splotchy color on her back is starting to mellow out to a full LIGHT green. Her belly is still red though. She was very awake for her vet visit and even MORE awake after she got the shot. haha. To be honest i think she might get better but due to her being cold blooded it is not a fast healing process... Can take up to a week to notice full recovery and i have 10 days of shots for her. Total cost of the visit today was $101.20 USD. ALso since i arrived in uniform he gave me a discount and also gave me some extra medicine in case ANY of my other contract symptoms. What surprised me is he SAID he does not prescribe the medications listed that DR. Fry gives out. He even claimed one of them to be very harmful to their skin. SO we will see. He breeds dart frogs for a hobby outside his vet business and a licensed EXOTIC DR. I cleaned out my entire 80 gallon today....took me 5 hours. NONE of my other frogs are carrying symptoms so well see whats up. Ill keep everyone posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry to hear that CJ. I'm glad you took her in quickly. I hope she'll be fine. Fortaz is a good antibiotic. Is she still eating for you?

(And, yes, if you're speaking of Baytril it is not only tough on the skin but hard on the kidneys if used too long. It is similar to Ciprofloxacin for humans. Renal patients must use smaller doses due to limited kidney excretion.)
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Just to give everyone an update...I brought her to the vet. She has a bacterial infection. The Dr. Prescribed her "FORTEZ" 100mg/ml. I give her one shot ever other day. She has gotten her first shot today. Her splotchy color on her back is starting to mellow out to a full LIGHT green. Her belly is still red though. She was very awake for her vet visit and even MORE awake after she got the shot. haha. To be honest i think she might get better but due to her being cold blooded it is not a fast healing process... Can take up to a week to notice full recovery and i have 10 days of shots for her. Total cost of the visit today was $101.20 USD. ALso since i arrived in uniform he gave me a discount and also gave me some extra medicine in case ANY of my other contract symptoms. What surprised me is he SAID he does not prescribe the medications listed that DR. Fry gives out. He even claimed one of them to be very harmful to their skin. SO we will see. He breeds dart frogs for a hobby outside his vet business and a licensed EXOTIC DR. I cleaned out my entire 80 gallon today....took me 5 hours. NONE of my other frogs are carrying symptoms so well see whats up. Ill keep everyone posted.
    Hi Corey,
    I'm glad to hear she is on the mend ! Please keep me posted. It's so hard when they're sick.
    Did you move your tads- like to the other side of the house. You're gonna need a boat load of gloves !!!!!
    Such hard work----YOU CAN DO IT !!!!

Did he say it was Red Leg?
    Fortez is a cephalosporin class ( it's a broad spectrum antibiotic)
    Works for bacterial infections..... like baytril ( enrofloxacin - spelling? ) -- but newer.
    100.00 does not sound too bad at all!

I chose to, try to, treated a hamster for cancer last year ; then the poor thing died. ! Talk about a vet bill -----Yikes.

It's a hard call for a vet as red eyed tree frogs don't typically get bacterial infections.
    You are very fortunate to have a good vet near-by.

The batryil can be less effective or may reactive negatively when combined w/ vitamin and mineral products- plus it's tough on the kidneys like Heath mentioned. .
    The skin/ tissue irritant issue can be avoided if the location of the drops is alternated. I would never want to inject baytril as it is apparently a painful shot.

Do you don't mind my asking?
    What is the fortez dose?
    Are you using tuberculin syringe?

Lynn
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Name:  20130415_171658.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  49.7 KBName:  20130415_171623.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  57.8 KBYes i dont mess around if my frog is sick. Straight to the vet they go.. i dont care about expense. She has not eaten since i put her in the hospital tank no. Ill give her 2 more days before i start looking for other means of feeding her. Yes the drug i was refering to was baytril. The doc said he never prescribes that drug to any animal he works with.

LYNN- Thanks for your concern =). No i did not move my tads... They are in their OWN set up and the frogs dont even have a chance to contaminate that tank. I do have soft nitrile gloves i use for handling in hospital care situations though. The VET did not say specifically what type of bacteria it was. He wanted me to ship her out for testing and i freaked out about that and said NO! I will post pictures of what im using for care.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Well i went to give dixie her second shot and to my amazment her back is one solid color again. She did not eat last night still and still has a redish bely. But its good to see her solid color back on her skin again. SO THERE IS PROGRESS!! Hopefully she will eat tonight and her belly will turn white again here within the next day or two.

Nationality
    [United States]

Really good to hear !
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]

I really hope she pulls through for you CJ. How is she doing today?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Well her skin is starting to turn back to her bluish state again (THANK GOD)!!! But she still has a very redish belly. She may have had 2 conditions at once and the Fortez cured one of them but the other one still is keeping her out of commission. She hasnt eated or pooped in a week. So im going to hit up the vet today after i give her shot again today. This will be day 5 with the illness and her 3rd shot today of FORTEZ. Just out of curiousity. I think it might be red leg. Is there any alternative (home remedy for RED LEG). I can always treat her for it and hope for the best.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Ok im not happy. I had to force feed dixie because she hasnt eaten in a week.. She got so stressed out over it she got all her discoloration in her back again.. GRRR i am so angry... I dont know what to do...it seems like this medication isnt working at all =/
    IN addition she refused to eat the crickets...she kept spitting them out everytime!! I waited until she would close her mouth after i put the cricket in...when i put her down and left the room she would always spit it back out... IM SO FRUSTRATED WITH HER. I wish she would just get well. I eventually had to shove the crickets down her throat practically. Not really..but way down deep in her mouth...

Creamballman

Hopefully you won't have to do that for a long time

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

I dont want to do that ever again.. .horrible..she even chirped at me in anger... it hurt me just to do it because i know it hurt/bothered her

ICFrogs

Its never a good feeling trying to force anything in their mouths. I really hope she gets better soon.

Nationality
    [United States]

Well her skin is starting to turn back to her bluish state again (THANK GOD)!!! But she still has a very redish belly. She may have had 2 conditions at once and the Fortez cured one of them but the other one still is keeping her out of commission. She hasnt eated or pooped in a week. So im going to hit up the vet today after i give her shot again today. This will be day 5 with the illness and her 3rd shot today of FORTEZ. Just out of curiousity. I think it might be red leg. Is there any alternative (home remedy for RED LEG). I can always treat her for it and hope for the best.
    Ok im not happy. I had to force feed dixie because she hasnt eaten in a week.. She got so stressed out over it she got all her discoloration in her back again.. GRRR i am so angry... I dont know what to do...it seems like this medication isnt working at all =/
    IN addition she refused to eat the crickets...she kept spitting them out everytime!! I waited until she would close her mouth after i put the cricket in...when i put her down and left the room she would always spit it back out... IM SO FRUSTRATED WITH HER. I wish she would just get well. I eventually had to shove the crickets down her throat practically. Not really..but way down deep in her mouth...
    I dont want to do that ever again.. .horrible..she even chirped at me in anger... it hurt me just to do it because i know it hurt/bothered her
    Hello Corey! Not having much fun in there? Please don't stress, it will make you sick like your frog . OK, let's see if I can help. Let's talk about Red Leg. IMO you got it right about there are 2 problems here. You have a very stressed out frog... and a bacterial attack due to reduced immunity levels caused by... stress! A deadly positive biofeedback circle if you ask me !

Now; I'm no veterinary; but will give you a couple of ideas to look at and decide. First read these 3 items and either chose one, other, a mix, or go back to vet; your choice (follow your Heart).

1st one is interesting and literally discuses an anti-stress remedy: www.froggie.info - Redleg . The 2nd one is more of what we would normally do and includes treatments: How to Care for a Sick Frog with Red Leg Disease: 8 Steps. The 3rd one is a recent thread where another member got his Toad better by using salt baths: http://www.frogforum.net/toads/22360...tml#post175331.

Wonder if instead of solid food like dead crickets or worms you would have better luck with emergency type food like: Carnivore Care; Flukerfarms Reptaboost; ExoTerra Electrolyte or similar. I'm sorry can't provide you a magic answer and my apologies if the contradicting information confuses you more. My prayers are with you, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Corey,
    I'm so sorry to read this

I had a black eyed tree that did not eat for 7 weeks. " Boggie" in the photo to the left in my avatar.
    He is my pride and joy. During his illness---He was more difficult to take care of than anything I can compare it to.
    It pained me the first few times I had to force feed him by prying his poor little lips apart.
    I can share very detailed instructions for this if you should need it. BUT---I have a solution.

Try this instead:
    In the daylight-- move her - and get her to go back to sleep in a spot in which you will be able to reach her mouth-- later after lights out.
    Get the feeder ready ( dusted etc ) It does not have to be alive but should be freshly prepared.
    Wait for her to shed. When she opens her mouth and tips her head back ....... drop the food in. Works like a charm!
    Use small feeders! ie 1/2 a medium cricked withoutt legs or wings.
    I'm sure , like me, you will stand there for hours waiting for her to shed.
    Waring: sometimes this startles them---so be prepared for the uncontrolled leap backwards.
    Keep your hand behind her after you drop the feeder into her mouth.
    I fed him this way - every time he shed. Just in case there were several days in between sheds.
    Take advantage of every opportunity.

If she has not been shedding --- let me know. I have a plan 'B'

Lynn
    Current Collection