Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do...deformed Tree frogs

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default What to do...deformed Tree frogs

Ive taken in two more Southern bell Frogs (litoria raniformis) They morphed about a month ago. 3cm. They were in with allot of others and were getting bitten by the normally formed frogs. I knew they had to be separated. They seem to be getting around OK and manage to catch flies. Im prepared to look after them and feed them by hand but im wondering if its cruel. Looking at them it seems to be the thigh that looks too short so they can't fold in their legs. I just felt sooo sorry for them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: What to do...deformed Tree frogs

You have a heart for these animals, I know how you feel. If you are prepared to keep them for their lifetime that would be fine since they are eating. If it were me I would quarantine them and nurse them to health and make them a wonderful home like your other frogs have and just enjoy them. They are cuties! If you can't keep them then the responsible thing to do is euthanize them. I applaud you for ending their suffering at the hands of their kin, regardless the outcome.

Wembley

Good luck with that decision.

PsionicRat

With animals in my care I'll take quality over quantity any day. If they're eating, they're likely quite happy. Give them time, work out an environment that caters to their special need and pay close attention to their personalities. If they are suddenly lethargic, unwilling to eat or otherwise less responsive than you feel is healthy for longer than you feel is healthy.. then.. do what must be done. It's a hard decision but then you never know, they may live long, healthy lives with a bit of help from you.

I've had to decide on my unfair share of euthanasia, so I know it's hard. I wish the best for them. They *are* awfully cute.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Thanks for your input. I am prepared to look after them, I just hope im doing the right thing for them. I will make sure their home is full of moss and no area's that they could hurt them selves. When they jump they use their arms to support the landing more than the legs. They do have a water dish at the moment and are climbing in and out of it OK.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

NW Amphibian Rescue, Thank you for your kind words. These little guys need a chance.

Im just curious, but how do you euthanize frogs?

jtay

I read that you place the frog in a air tight jar with some Ether - a vet is the person to do this.
    Apparently it is basically an overdose of anesthetic...

Paul Rust

An overdose of Tricaine methanesulfonate (MS-222). It can be injected in the abdominal cavity or simply added to the water for aquatic species. Most online pet supply stores sell it. It sounds bad but you can use decapitation because it is quick as long as you don't hesitate once you start. Some people freeze the animal but there is no proof that this is painless. Here is a good guideline to follow if you must euthanize. The last thing you want is an animal you loved and cared for to be flopping around on the table as it dies.

CHECKLIST FOR A HUMANE DEATH:

The person applying the method of euthanasia is THE most important factor in ensuring that an animal's death is humane. Regardless of whether the procedure is applied to an individual animal or to a group, it must always attempt to meet the following criteria:

1) Death without signs of panic, pain or distress;

2) Minimum time to loss of consciousness;

3) Reliability and reproducibility;

4) Safety for personnel involved;

5) Minimal undesirable physiological and psychological effects on the animal;

6) Minimal or no emotional effects on the person involved;

7) Minimal environmental or ecological impact;

8) Simple, inexpensive method which is relatively maintenance free; and;

9) A location remote and separate from the animal rooms.

I hope this helps, but it is a very last resort and not a convenience tool.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Freezing is not a humane way to euthanize amphibians. If you wish to euthanize amphibians, this is by far the best information online: Caudata Culture Articles - Euthanasia
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Well here's hoping im never faced with that. I think these guys are going to be just fine. I will keep you updated on their progress. I have to give them names. Any ideas for ones so unique???

I had my cat 20 years old that I had to euthanize and I had a vet come to my house to do it so it wouldn't course any stress on him. It was the best thing i had ever done it was very human and no stress to my cat at all.Just a quick injection and he was asleep on my lap. I think if im ever faced with euthanizing a frog i will get the vet to come here. I would of course show him this information because I don't think he has ever put a frog to sleep. Thanks for all your advise guys.

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Well here's hoping im never faced with that. I think these guys are going to be just fine. I will keep you updated on their progress. I have to give them names. Any ideas for ones so unique???
    Sorry about the kitty.
    I will offer up a name. PHILOMENA (Loved)

Wembley

Ju"bell"ee Sorry I like lame names

Paul Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley View Post
    Ju"bell"ee Sorry I like lame names
    LOL, that's pretty good!

Jace

Best of luck, Ebony. You have a heart of gold, and these little frogs are going to thrive under your care I am sure. They are very cute! My name suggestion is Abelo-it means "free gift".

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

That's nice of you to say Jace. I really love all those names... thanks. I can only pick two so Ive got some serious thinking to do.

I finally got some Fluker's calcium with vitamin D and they were the first to have it today. They certainly have wonderful appetites so now have little round belly's. Ive grown quite fond of them.

daziladi

I hope they make it Ebony... and they may adapt to the handicap given some time. Given the choice I'd bet they'd choose to live, too! For the names I came up with "Gimp" and "Gump". Gimp is a term used in mmo's describing a character that isn't "quite up to par" and the Gump is for Forrest Gump who taught us a few lessons regardless of his handicap. An alternative name is "Inshallah" which is an Arabic term meaning "God Willing". I'll be cheering them on over here <g>

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Thanks for the cool names. Ive decided to go with Inshallah (God willing) and Philomenia (loved) Because they are so loved and God willing they make it.

daziladi

Good choices... look forward to updates when you post them up too

daziladi

How are they doing Ebony?

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi there, How have you been? How's the gorgeous Chester doing?

Inshallah and Philomenia are doing amazingly. They are eating well and growing fast with nice little plump tummy's. Ive been giving them heaps of variety. I just gave them a lovely moth each that I hatched from wax worms. Im not going to put them into hibernation like the rest of my frogs as I want them to grow up a bit more. I will post some photo's soon. Thank you for asking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information