Thread: Growth?

aegillesp

Default Growth?

I noticed my ADF (Derp) has a lump growing near his butt... Should I be concerned? It looks like it's getting bigger...I've had him for almost 3 months.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Growth?

I see some very small gravel pieces in there....any chance he ate one and is impacted/trying to pass the gravel? Move him into a barebottomed set up and try feeding VERY soft foods such as chopped earthworms to help him pass it.

Any more clear photos from behind or above?

I definitely recommend getting rid of that gravel and doing barebottomed while he is like this...it must be very tender and sore.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

aegillesp

He's been acting completely normal. I feed him the aquatic frog pellets, which he has been eating, he's been eating flakes normally too. I'll try to get a better picture. I'll clean out a smaller tank for him too.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Kind of hard to tell from pic, but possible causes can think off are: a prolapsed intestine; or a bulging cloaca caused by intestinal infection. If food falls to bottom that gravel is an impaction hazard. Recommend replace it with play sand or large pebbles. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

kathreen

Just curious how is the frog now? Did you learn anything? Wondering if I might be having a similar issue.

aegillesp

It may sound like pure coincidence but after I introduced Herpes (who is a male) with Derp her lump size was cut to about 1/4 the size it used to be. We also changed her food and now I think she is fat and happy! The other fish they are with leave them alone and the two frogs get along great! That as about the only thing I changed. Hope that helps at all. I can take pictures tomorrow and let you know what food they get.

kathreen

That'd be awesome, if you don't mind.

aegillesp

If you look at the picture I posed at the beginning and compare it to now, I'd say it's gone down drastically. All I did was buy Herpes and change her food. Didn't do anything to the water or the bottom gravel. She's gotten much MUCH bigger now too. I've had her since about mid to end of February..?
    Name:  IMG_2844.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  77.8 KBName:  IMG_2846.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  64.7 KB
    We just got this food, and they both seem to love it. Goes straight to the bottom and they dont have any issues finding/eating it.
    Name:  IMG_2845.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  83.5 KB

Hope this helps!

Thread Information