Thread: UTH on a tank?

speedy

Default UTH on a tank?

I recently changed my FBT's setup to mainly water. I think that they are getting a tad cold from a window draft. I went to get a water heater and the store was out. Then I got to thinking...I have a small 4 watt (1-5 gallon) under tank heater I'm not using. Do you suppose it would be ok to tape it to the side so it heats the water a bit? Or would it shatter the glass (5gal glass tank)? I know with my crabs no water can hit the area of glass its on because it will shatter. But the water is cold and the pad is cold so I just was curious. Or should I stick it so it warms the air instead?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

kroberts009

Default Re: UTH on a tank?

i certainly wouldnt risk putting a UTH anywhere on the opposite side of a water based tank. you can possibly run the risk of cracking the tank, at any time. i would assume temp changes, and when you do a tank cleaning, you also run that risk.

when i had my firebellies in a 1/2 water, 1/2 land tank. i honestly used a heater meant for BETA tanks... it was small, worked with the amount of water i had in my 5 gal. and did the job.

you can also use a very low watt heat lamp instead.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Agree with Kristie; you run a chance of shattering glass with UTH. There are various underwater heaters made for small 1 gallon Betta set-ups to 5 gallon tanks. Estimate the volume of water you have in tank and get an appropriate sized one.

Usually they are set-up from factory to around 78F. Do not run them above water; they have an overheat thermal protector and will shut down permanently if sensor is triggered. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

speedy

Like I said, the store was out of them so I couldn't get any heaters (all they had was the 30-50gal ones and I didn't want cooked frogs). Oh well, they will be ok until they get more.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by speedy View Post
    Like I said, the store was out of them so I couldn't get any heaters (all they had was the 30-50gal ones and I didn't want cooked frogs). Oh well, they will be ok until they get more.
    Big Al's Online has the Aqueon 10W (up to 5 gal. set to 76-78F): Mini Heater - 10 W. If you back page into temperature control there are other small heater options too. I've ordered from them (also Amazon and Dr. Foster & Smith) when items are not available locally and always had excellent service. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information