Thread: my new baby frogs are not eating

elery

Default my new baby frogs are not eating

i have raised them from tadpols, i have 3, 2 have lost their tail fully 2 days ago, 1 still has its tail,. the 2 who have no tails are tiny and the crickets i got were small but not pinheads, they were a bit big as the frogs seem to be scared of them, i have put them in a container with come tiny black ants but they did not seem interested, also some little flying things i got outside at a light and little moth, they have not even attempted to eat a thing. i had some of the crickets just let free in their home but since have removed them because i do not know if the cricket will try have a nibble on my babies. how long after they fully lose their tail do they eat? and what else can i try them on, i have pinhead crickets coming but it might be 2 days before they here., also i have a home made fly trap outside to try get some fruit flys so far caught none.
    i don't want to keep disturbing them to try feed them but also i don't want them to starve.

atm they are just in a viv with little water in bottom (only a tiny bit) and a water dish which they only use if i put them in it) and some rocks and leaf litter etc around, its a temp home until i set up their naturalistic viv which i will be doing in the next few days. ( once the silly substrate arrives that i had to spend a arm and leg getting as i cant get it locally.)
    i mist them a few times a day via hand. and they look happy in their, although i can never find them because they hide and blend in really well.

what else can i do to help them feed, and how is the best way to do it,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: my new baby frogs are not eating

We need to know the species of frog to really help you out. Pictures would help.

Some froglets will not eat unless their tail is COMPLETELY gone, no stub or anything.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

elery

they are striped marsh froglets. last night i thuoght i saw 1 eat a tiny ant, but im not 100% sure so maybe they are starting to eat. i will give them a bunch of stuff tonight and see how they go. the little fellas stress me out

sleepypossum

How did you go with feeding your baby frogs. I am in a similar situation now with 3 baby frogs. I have raised them from tadpoles at the pre school where I work, during the holidays they have lost their tails and are now sitting on the rock in their tank. I intend to release them back into my pond but would like to take them back to the pre- school to show the children how they have changed. My concern is that we have another week off school and I don't want them to starve. One of them in particular looks ready for food.
    thanks.
    Lynne.

elery

my litle frogs took around 2 and half weeks after loseing their tails to eat. I caughty tiny moths and little green thnigys neat the light for the first week and put them in a container with a few they would catch them easy. Pin head crickets are the best but i did not have them at the time. hope your baby frogs go ok, i think its the far most stressing time when thye turning to lil frogs.

nirotorin

There are several types of traps you can make for small insects. Using a funnel, light, or bait, and a container. You can use a handheld vacuum, if it has a screen fine enough inside. Just leave the porch lights on, and go around sucking all the smallest bugs up. You can also rig up a big butterfly net, and run it through some tall grass, and beat it against bushes.

You could look into culturing springtails as well.

Thread Information