Thread: Pacman frog question

BeardedSnailurd

Default Pacman frog question

Hello I am new to Frogs in general. I am going to get a Pacman frog this sunday (first personal pet ever) and i was just wondering what i need for him. I just have on question mainly: Which is better a heat lamp and or light or a heat pad? Please respond to me and any advice for new pacman frog owners will (me) would be graciously appreciated. Please get back to me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman frog question

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedSnailurd View Post
    Hello I am new to Frogs in general. I am going to get a Pacman frog this sunday (first personal pet ever) and i was just wondering what i need for him. I just have on question mainly: Which is better a heat lamp and or light or a heat pad? Please respond to me and any advice for new pacman frog owners will (me) would be graciously appreciated. Please get back to me.
    Read this. Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

Lights aren't necessary unless you can't provide enough heat for the frog's climate. Any indepth questions feel free to ask.

BeardedSnailurd

Thank you for the reply, I did read that article already but it didnt realy help me because on youtube almost all the pacman frog care videos either say: oh dont get a heat pad,oh do get a heat pad put it on the bottom though,no get a heat pad but put it on the side' Its just all realy confusing. Any way if you put the heat pad on the side it jut blocks my view of the frog so either way I guess its a lose lose thank you for the help though. But one more question if you stick the heat pad on the side wont it affect the frog if its just living in a small tank?

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for the reply, I did read that article already but it didnt realy help me because on youtube almost all the pacman frog care videos either say: oh dont get a heat pad,oh do get a heat pad put it on the bottom though,no get a heat pad but put it on the side' Its just all realy confusing. Any way if you put the heat pad on the side it jut blocks my view of the frog so either way I guess its a lose lose thank you for the help though. But one more question if you stick the heat pad on the side wont it affect the frog if its just living in a small tank?
    Get a UTH(Under Tank Heater) of appropriate size for whatever size tank you are going to use. Place the UTH on the side of the tank. This will help to heat the ambient air which is important. A light doesn't have to be used unless you cannot provide a warm enough climate that is needed. If you do use a light for extra supplemental heat in combination with a UTH on the side ofnthe tank buy a heat lamp that has a dimmer switch so you can accurately adjust the amount of light and heat from the bulb. Only use incandescent bulbs with a wattage no higher than 50.

Cover 3 sides of the enclosure with some sort of natural background. Static cling works well. You can outline around the UTH, but don't allow the cling background to touch it. The only part of the tank that you will be ablento see through is the front and that is all you need for a view. These frogs need to feel secure. Have 3 sides covered to make it look natural will help keep the frog feeling secure and thus active and eating.

There is some truth to most care sheets and videos but I can assure you that most YouTube videos are far from accurate and do not explain what to do if you are having trouble with your setup. You will need to keep temps 80° F to 83° F during the day and 76° F to 79° F at night, but it is best to hover around 78° F at night. Humidity must stay in the 70% to 80% range.

Note that Albino Ceratophrys cranwelli cannot be exposed to daylight basking type bulbs or any UVA or UVB radiation bulbs because it will damage their eyes and skin.

BeardedSnailurd

Thank you for your information! I live in particulary cold country obviously ( Sweden ) so ill probably for now just stick with the heat pad and stick it on the side of the tank like you said. So I live in Sweden and its pretty cold so would you recommend both the UTH and a light? You live in America, Ohio so I'm guessing its pretty warm there for the most part. But thank you for the information I really appreciate your answers I came on to this site thinking I wouldnt find any help but i did and I cant thank you enough. Just a quick silly question how long do you think my Pacman frog will live?

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you for your information! I live in particulary cold country obviously ( Sweden ) so ill probably for now just stick with the heat pad and stick it on the side of the tank like you said. So I live in Sweden and its pretty cold so would you recommend both the UTH and a light? You live in America, Ohio so I'm guessing its pretty warm there for the most part. But thank you for the information I really appreciate your answers I came on to this site thinking I wouldnt find any help but i did and I cant thank you enough. Just a quick silly question how long do you think my Pacman frog will live?
    You're welcome.

Yes use both a UTH and a heat lamp. Also place the frog in the warmest room with the least amount of traffic(people entering and leaving). Now with lights they will burn off humidity so if you can get a hold of a Zoo Med Hygrotherm and a Zoo Med Reptifogger to keep everything correct for you.

Most only live 5 years for due to stress and inadequate diet. Kidney and Liver failure normally are the cause of a short life. Water quality plays aê huge role in that along with poor diet. With proper care they can live 15 to 30 years.

BeardedSnailurd

Ok thank you for the info!!! Im going to use the setup you said but I think ill hold off on the light because i have a light in my room and also all this stuff is going to cost me alot of money! About 50 US dollars for the cage, 5 $ for the substrate (coco fiber), waterbowl 3$, heatpad 12 $, calcium and vitamin dust for food 10 dollars each,15 dollars for the frog and if i get a light its about 15-20 dollars!! Thats alot of money but worth it for my new froggy but i hate to say it but i have to hold off on the light and mister thing but thank you for info!!! Im going to get a Green Pacman Frog this sunday and cant wait! His name will be KING ODIN!!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok thank you for the info!!! Im going to use the setup you said but I think ill hold off on the light because i have a light in my room and also all this stuff is going to cost me alot of money! About 50 US dollars for the cage, 5 $ for the substrate (coco fiber), waterbowl 3$, heatpad 12 $, calcium and vitamin dust for food 10 dollars each,15 dollars for the frog and if i get a light its about 15-20 dollars!! Thats alot of money but worth it for my new froggy but i hate to say it but i have to hold off on the light and mister thing but thank you for info!!! Im going to get a Green Pacman Frog this sunday and cant wait! His name will be KING ODIN!!!!
    They can do well at 78° F, but 80°F is more Ideal. As long as you are near that range it should be ok.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello and welcome to FF! Have you set-up the enclosure and tested it to insure it's at proper temperature range for frog? If not; highly recommend postpone getting frog until you get light (red or moonlight) to help warm it up. If you get frog and the habitat is incorrect (i.e. too cold or dry) your frog will get stressed, it's immune system will be compromised, and it will get sick. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

BeardedSnailurd

Hello and I cant get the tank setup because Im getting my pacman frog from a reptile show in Sweden and Im getting all the things i need for him there then hen i get home i will setup his cage then put him in it, thank you for your concern though! and they dont have alot of reptile shows in Sweden anymore

Thread Information