Thread: A few questions about plants

Badger

Default A few questions about plants

Alright, this is semi-off topic.

My dad is trying his hand at gardening and has tasked me with researching the care of seedlings/germinating plants.

He is most worried about drowning the newly planted seeds. We're growing a variety of vegetables, but the fastest germinating seeds so far are green beans. We have them in a seedling tray, which is basically a basin with the tray fitting inside said basin. We've got about a half inch of standing water in the basin, which can freely flow into the mini pots, which are filled with potting soil/one seed. If that makes sense. I was thinking that a false bottom like we use in our vivs could be of use, but I'm not at all experienced with gardening so any and all advice/tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for this being slightly off topic, but I figured this was one of my better resources for this type of info, thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: A few questions about plants

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    ...We have them in a seedling tray, which ihe tray fitting inside said basin. We've got about a half inch of standing water in the basin, which can freely flow into the mini pots, which are filled with potting soil/one seed....
    Hello Dalton! Think you got the right set-up for watering from below; but once soil is watered you should remove tray from water until next watering is needed .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

firebelliedtoadz

Just a side note, beans don't transplant the best, so depending how big they are when you transplant, they might not make it.

Seed packets will usually have germination instructions on them for the optimal conditions. Some need total dark, some need strong light, some need high humidity, etc. When sown you can do your watering with a spray bottle when needed and saran wrap to help keep the moisture in. Watering from below is fine too, but do take them out of your tray as Carlos suggested, or you're at a big risk of them staying too wet, which can lead to big problems.

After they've germinated, you can generally let them get a little dry in between waterings. Staying on the dry side is usually safer than staying on the wet side and probably more seedlings are killed by 'kindness' (overwatering) than any other way. I know that's my method of choice for sending seedlings to the compost pile before their time. Check the individual requirements though!

For many plants you can sow a bunch of seeds in the same pot, pretty tightly packed together. Then transfer them to individual containers as they get to be a few inches high. This depends on what you're growing and how much space you have available though.

There are also quite a few veggie plants that can be sown directly into the ground depending on the length of your growing season, this should work for standard green beans.

Badger

Default A few questions about plants

Thanks for the informative replies everyone, greatly appreciated. We'll take the tray out of the basin as soon as we get home. Once again thanks a ton.

Thread Information