Thread: Juvenille calling

Gentlemangorath

Default Juvenille calling

Just wondering, when a growing frog is growing and tries to call, should it sound like a weak version of whatever the frog's normal call is? I only ask because I heard one of my frog's call, but it sounded like a reallllly weak call, making me think it was my younger frog. Which would be good, it would confirm their gender.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Juvenille calling

If all your frogs are the same species, think a "squeakier" type of sound could be a young one learning how to call .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

The squeakier call could also be a release call. Or just your confirmed adult not putting his heart into the calling process and delivering a weak effort.

My male Hyla versicolor can trill with the best of them, but he also puts out some odd noises that have had me running to check on who it's coming from so I've come to expect more than just the 'stock' calls to come from an adult male of other species. I think it's probably best to catch them in the act.

Tubby0512

My Tree Frog does that too. He will be sitting than he makes a weak call(a single sound). Than at night time forget it, its all over. He calls so loud I actually got yelled at by my sister because he was so loud. :P He also gets my bird cooing as well.

Gentlemangorath

Well it sounded more like what was mentioned, a squeaky, higher pitched, weaker call than what Verde usually belts out. The night before I could have sworn I woke to two frogs calling (I selectively will wake up if I hear a call, but will sleep through a house falling around me ), so this seemed to confirm that Boom is beginning to call and show signs of him being male. Which would be great, I could have another set of males, just like my old ones.

Thread Information