Thread: Tank mates....I think? Advice from the pet store or lack there of...

The Fluffy Injun

Default Tank mates....I think? Advice from the pet store or lack there of...

Greetings All, I wasn't sure where to put this so I am hoping this is alright.

Background: I have a 55 gallon tank. It's about 70% water, 30 % Land with a waterfall and river. There is about 10 gallons of water in it and the water is about 8-9" deep. I have a 150 gph 13 watt UVC filter, as well as the viquarium filter (has two carbon pads). I have a dual air pump that has the balls at the end in separate parts of the tank, heater, etc. Plenty of hiding place and basking places....

Problem: My original Tank inhabitant is my Red Ear Slider. Who is a hatchling and about 2" long. I went to the pet store and asked the guy there what I could get to "Test the Tanks" before my baby turtle got here. He suggested Fire belly toads and Green tree frogs which happen to be housed together. They were also inexpensive compared to what I was shelling out for the turtles. I had always wanted a FBT and who doesn't like GTF?! I asked him if they would get along together, which he said yes, we keep them together with no problem at all (he also told me he has an adult turtles that is with his FBT and they leave each other alone). Ok Cool. I asked them if they were toxic in which he replied not really, they won't produce enough to kill anything. I ask him what they eat, Crickets just dust with calcium. So now I get 2 FBT and 1 GTF because "Hey, I asked the pet store guy and he seemed like a decent fellow." My Turtle comes and everything is hunky dorey but what do I do now? I feel like an idiot for taking the guys advice. I Read the care sheet at the store. Which did not mention the "Hey don't mix species." I also have 3 Fancy tail guppies (1 male, 2 females) that are for the turtle (I just want the fry). So I am in a pickle and not sure what to do because I am attached to all my little guys and I don't have room for 2 more aquariums to setup. Will everyone be alright for a little bit? I mean everyone stays to their own. The GTF stays up top out of reach of everything. The FBT stay on their island and the RES just does what he wants. Nothings is able to eat each other atm. What I am concerned with is the FBT toxins and since I can't find whether it's a constant release or excreted when stressed I am just hoping with the size of the tank and the weekly change it's ok for now until I remedy the situation.

Thanks for the help and Please don't soap box me, I know I am an idiot and I don't need salt in my wound.

I am attaching pictures of the setup as well.

Sincerely
    TFI

Name:  Photo Apr 15, 18 20 07.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  75.9 KBName:  Photo Apr 15, 18 21 03.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  86.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tank mates....I think? Advice from the pet store or lack there of...

You are not an idiot! You got reaaly bad info from that pet store employee. Unfortunately they will all need to be separated. Do you have a friend who could take the FBTs and tree frog? The FBTs could be housed in a 10 gallon tank. My room is so full of tanks it is disgusting. I wish I could be of more help.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tank mates....I think? Advice from the pet store or lack there of...

Hello and welcome to FF TFI! Well... we are all glad the nice pet shop employee did not had a cayman in store . What kind and size of turtle you got in there?

Agree with Sherry, if store will not take the frogs back, then best thing would be to find adoptive caretakers near you. Just post your state/city here or on the forum's for sale section and someone will probably help you out. The problems I see coming is that if turtle attacks the FBT... it will probably end up dead too . Also, if tree frog lands in water and turtle grabs it before it gets out... !

Pet shop employees either don't know, or just want to make the sale. Maybe talking to store owner or manager you can get those frogs back there and use credit for turtle stuff. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

The Fluffy Injun

My wife let me get a 10 gallon so the FBT are out of the big tank. The Turtle is a red ear slider, it is 2" long as it is a hatchling. I don't have to worry about frog attacks for a while, he will only eat these damn pellets (I have tried shrimp and krill, he only likes the pellets). The GTF is still in the big cage for now until I work out a home for it. Thanks for the help everyone!

The Fluffy Injun

Here is my tank today for the FBT. I am pretty happy with it
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information