Thread: Frogs in Colorado

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Frogs in Colorado

I am in Parker, CO (near Denver) and need to know what frogs exist out here, and how the frogs survive when it snows in the spring (as it does often here). Thanks..

John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frogs in Colorado

Hello John and welcome to FF ! Let's see what we find: Let Me Google That . Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Google is not very reliable for accurate information. Anyone whom has done a basic research paper at a University level understands this. If someone here is using google to reply to my questions then I am concerned as I expected to find experts on this forum (which I have in the past).

In the field of theology for example I have plenty of people email me and I try and answer their questions instead of begin sarcastic. I realize that Google provides lots of different answers and is not the most reliable source.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My apology if my old sense of humor offended you ! However; the fact is, I respectfully disagree with your evaluation of Google. Myself use it (and Bing) extensively for reaserch and as long as you know what to open and get info from; they work fine .

For example; lets search some more in Google: Let Me Google That . I'll let any Colorado frog experts tell me if those two selected pages from the first listed hits are accurate (as I believe) or not! We even found some related information about Colorado's frog malformations... cool .

1. http://ndis.nrel.colostate.edu/herpatlas/coherpatlas/cdow_herpetofaunal_atlas_species_frogs.htm

2. Association of Zoos and Aquariums - Frogs and Toads in Colorado

3. Deformed Frogs

Read somewhere once that: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and you feed him for life!" Just saying ! Have a nice week and good luck with your studies!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Quote Originally Posted by evangelist6589 View Post
    I am in Parker, CO (near Denver) and need to know what frogs exist out here,
    A couple links were given above, but also see AmphibiaWeb and go to 'search the database' which has a map that will lead you to a list of frogs of Colorado.

Amazon.com also shows a few books dedicated to Colorado amphibians that you might be able to find in a library. I have no experience with any of them so no recommendation from me but maybe someone else can suggest a title. I did like the Peterson Field Guide series for amphibians of the east and there is a version for the west, but the east version didn't break it up into states or provinces so it might be annoying if you are mainly after a list. A book dedicated to your locale is a terrific resource if you can find a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by evangelist6589 View Post
    and how the frogs survive when it snows in the spring (as it does often here). Thanks..
    They survive cold snaps the same way they survive the winter. Some species burrow to below the frost line for protection from the elements, some species return to the bottoms of ponds deep enough where the water doesn't freeze. You have at least two species that can handle freezing to some degree and ride out freeze/thaw cycles, Wood Frogs and Boreal Chorus Frogs, so they can stay closer to the surface and will sometimes be fine just under leaf litter or in hollows under logs or rocks.

Thread Information