Thread: I found a deformed frog.....Help

Billbo

Default I found a deformed frog.....Help

Hi, I just wanted some advice on what I should do. I have a pond in my back garden and we have loads of frogs about at the minute. I came across this frog today in my back garden and it has no eyes and a weird shaped head, it's like a round head and no eyes or eye sockets from what i can see! I don't know if I should just let nature take it's course or could you tell me what type of frog it is? or am I cruel just leaving it alone? Also it hasn't moved, it's been sat in the same spot in my back garden for about 2 hours now, when it tries to move it kind of slides along and then stops, I think it's because he cant see where he's going...

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I found a deformed frog.....Help

based on those pictures not much you can do, but to help it go peacefully, get some clove oil. place a frog in a water (chin deep) and keep adding clove oil, a bit at first then some more and more until it's gone. so sorry
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to FF Billbo ! Hum... that animal is in a sorry state. In your position I would euthanize it; but that is up to you and how you feel about it.

If you decide to do it, the most humane way I know of is with a combo of Clove Oil suspension (3 drops in one quart) of de-chlorinated water (shake well in smaller bottle first to mix) and Vodka. Process is to prepare Clove Oil Suspension in bucket and place animal in it to chin's depth. Leave it alone until it's lays and relaxes in bottom (10-15 min.) and then replace half the volume with vodka. Leave it for another 10-15 minutes and check for any life signs (breathing movements). If none, dispose of animal properly. I myself like to plant a little plant in same hole I bury animal. My apologies to those here that have strong feelings about euthanasia .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

6. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

If it truly does not have any eyes...I want to know how on earth it managed to live so long!
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

8. This member thanks Jenste for this post:

Billbo

I was thinking that also! I haven't picked it up I'm kind of a bit scared of him to be honest (not the greatest with frogs) lol but i've had a close look and he truly has no eyes! I'm not sure I feel too comfortable with killing him though, maybe i'll just let nature take its course.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Billbo View Post
    I was thinking that also! I haven't picked it up I'm kind of a bit scared of him to be honest (not the greatest with frogs) lol but i've had a close look and he truly has no eyes! I'm not sure I feel too comfortable with killing him though, maybe i'll just let nature take its course.
    You can take the frog to a vet and they can put it down for you.

SCF

I personally would not let nature take its course. I would feel worse doing that, than actually helping it out by putting it down peacefully. If you can not make it to a vet, like Grif advised, perhaps you have a stronger friend that can help?

Thread Information