Thread: Rana Aurora acting very sick. Help!!!

DFM

Default Rana Aurora acting very sick. Help!!!

My 3.5-4 inch Rana Aurora (Hopsin) is not doing well. Her head is hanging low, very lethargic, looks slightly bloated (she is a fat frog so its hard to tell if she is bloated or not). The most prominent symptom is her lower eyelids. They are grey and transparent, slightly swollen. Her eyes aren't fully protruding like usual, they are partially pulled in constantly, sometimes completely. I gave her a bath in some clean water and that seemed to help her condition a bit. no longer has a droopy head, resisted being handled (before the bath she was pretty much motionless). I attached two pictures that show the aforementioned symptoms well. Any and all input is appreciated!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Rana Aurora acting very sick. Help!!!

Hello DFM! After reading post and looking at pics, appears to me frog has a serious infection. My first recommendation is to take it to a Vet. If that option is not available to you; first thing to do is to become familiar with this article: Basic Frog First Aid. How long has frog shown these symptoms? Also, could you please provide answers to these questions: Trouble in Enclosure.

Can you get some: Baytril (Enrofloxacin) and plain pedialyte in the meantime? Others with more disease experience will chime in soon. Another option you have is to contact Dr Frye at (743)439-2273; he does consults and sells meds online. Hope that phone is right number because his website is currently down. Good luck !.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

It does look as if he has an infection and will need some treatment by a vet.

Can you do a clear, unflavored pedialyte soak? It's 1 part pedialyte to 10 parts dechlorinated water. Soak for 15 minutes. This will give him some electrolytes.

How is his home set up?

When did you first start noticing symptoms?

When did he stop eating?

If you can answer the trouble in the enclosure questions it would be very helpful for us.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

DFM

Unfortunately a vet is out of the question. this could not have happened at a worse financial time for me (got fired in march, about to start new job, savings just about gone) Gave her pedialite soaks (15 mins a day) and put her in a quarantine enclosure. eyes look normal, posture is normal, and she ate 2 crickets today. I made sure they were well gut loaded and lightly dusted. She is acting much more like her normal self, if maybe a bit lethargic, although ANY environmental changes really frighten her so being in the quarantine tank may be why she seems a bit lazy. Doing a complete and thorough disinfecting of her normal enclosure before putting her back in there. Looks like she is returning to good health, although I will make sure to keep a very close eye on her over the next week.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DFM View Post
    ...Gave her pedialite soaks (15 mins a day) and put her in a quarantine enclosure. eyes look normal, posture is normal, and she ate 2 crickets today. I made sure they were well gut loaded and lightly dusted. She is acting much more like her normal self, if maybe a bit lethargic, although ANY environmental changes really frighten her so being in the quarantine tank may be why she seems a bit lazy. Doing a complete and thorough disinfecting of her normal enclosure before putting her back in there. Looks like she is returning to good health, although I will make sure to keep a very close eye on her over the next week.
    Normal eyes and feeding response are great news! If vet not an option; recommend you continue with present actions. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Good to hear!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

DFM

Update: hopsin is back to perfect health one hell of a resilient frog. When someone said "she needs a vet asap" I thought she was a gonner because I cant afford one. pedialite and quarantine was all it took luckily.

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by DFM View Post
    Update: hopsin is back to perfect health one hell of a resilient frog. When someone said "she needs a vet asap" I thought she was a gonner because I cant afford one. pedialite and quarantine was all it took luckily.
    Great to hear! Ranid's truly are tough and resilient frogs!
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Thread Information