Thread: Feeding ABF, Tiny

Sheldon92024

Default Feeding ABF, Tiny

Hi all,

Here's a picture of my new baby pyxie, Tiny! He/she has been home about a week. He/she is eating 20+ medium dusted crickets each day within one hour! Should I offer more food or just keep on with the same number of crickets? If you suggest sliced and diced earthworms, please advise tong feeding or just cut em up and put them in a dish? I've never tong fed a frog this young/active before. I have two pacmans, one adult and one about 6 months who are tong fed regularly. This is my first pyxie. Thanks for the help!

Name:  Tiny_April2013.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  142.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding ABF, Tiny

Hello Sheldon! Have you read this: Frog Forum - African Bullfrog - Pyxicephalus adspersus - Care and Breeding? You should feed it what it will eat in 10-15 minutes and no more. You can cut earthworms length to around frog's mouth width and either tong feed or just drop them in front of mouth and let frog pick them up. A low dish tray with pieces will work too if frog is OK from feeding off it.

If frog is really small and one night crawler is too much for one feeding; can cut up to 1/2 worm off from tail (pointy) end. Worm will heal until used next day. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

SCF

It is recommended to let it eat as much as it can for 15 minutes daily. I do this with baby pyxies, by separating them in another container to feed.

For earthworms, I only tong feed, your frog will get used to it very quickly.

SCF

Haha Carlos beat me to it! =) Are you following me?

Sheldon92024

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello Sheldon! Have you read this: Frog Forum - African Bullfrog - Pyxicephalus adspersus - Care and Breeding? You should feed it what it will eat in 10-15 minutes and no more. You can cut earthworms length to around frog's mouth width and either tong feed or just drop them in front of mouth and let frog pick them up. A low dish tray with pieces will work too if frog is OK from feeding off it.

If frog is really small and one night crawler is too much for one feeding; can cut up to 1/2 worm off from tail (pointy) end. Worm will heal until used next day. Good luck !
    Hi, thanks for the info! I did my research and have read John's care sheet multiple times. It's fabulous. I know 15 minutes is the rule, but I don't think that's really a fair timeline for babies since they haven't perfected their hunting skills and do a lot of hit and miss. I keep nightcrawlers for my pacmans so I think I might try that tomorrow. It's a better way to feed since you can make sure the froggy "catches" the prey.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    Haha Carlos beat me to it! =) Are you following me?
    ! Nope, same thing happens to me. While you are writing your response someone else does one faster. It's not until you hit "post" that you figure out one or more forum members have already answered it. Have a nice week !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Eel Noob

From that single picture it looks like a boy.

Sheldon92024

Quote Originally Posted by Eel Noob View Post
    From that single picture it looks like a boy.
    We are keeping our fingers crossed!

Thread Information