Thread: "Afraid" of taking up my pacman

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Default "Afraid" of taking up my pacman

A bit afraid of taking up my pacman... but can see everyone do it... it's because I won't stress him/her, and don't risk aggressive biting... but is it so wild anyway?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: "Afraid" of taking up my pacman

Quote Originally Posted by Zlitni View Post
    A bit afraid of taking up my pacman... but can see everyone do it... it's because I won't stress him/her, and don't risk aggressive biting... but is it so wild anyway?
    Just scoop it up from behind and cup the frog in both hands gently, but firmly so that it cannot jump away from you. Do not be afraid or it will make things worse. Just never come directly at the frogs face with your hands or it may bite or become stressed.

Is there any particular reason you want to pick the frog up or is this just because you want to hold the frog?

mchell43

As above reply says pick frog up from behind with your hand under bum. But handling should be not often ,they dont like it so much ,also make sure you wash your hands before. I saw a girl in pet store handling a parrot today then just wet her hands with a spray bottle and pick up a chubby frog . I was not impressed

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Is there any particular reason you want to pick the frog up or is this just because you want to hold the frog?
    Maybe for a little short photoshoot some day

Nationality
    [United States]

I let mine hop onto a paper plate to take photos . I do pick them up though and like every one else has said just scoop them up from behind and cup them in your hand . Make sure to wash your hands real good and rinse them off real well with dechlorinated water and wash them again after handling the frog .

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol I'm a bit afraid of taking mine out too or i should say i have a heathy dose of respect and like to keep distance from their mouthes. even when you know what to expect, some of them are mean little or big buggers, like my male he'd turn around and bite, so it is a matter of speed you pick them up sometimes too :lol:
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    some of them are mean little or big buggers
    Well, then I don't know what my Froggy are... It's like I have a borderline-relationship with him; sometimes he's getting pissed really fast if I just look at him a little, sometimes he's TOTALLY indifferent with that - so as I sometimes says to him: "Are you bitter/angry today?" ^^

Nationality
    [United States]

Funny I am afraid to pick my frog up too, his jaw line is huge! It looks like a big mouth bass I bet it would hurt if I got bit. I just stuff his mouth with a snack first haha he can't chew and bite at the same time.
    Once or twice a month for cleaning only.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
    Funny I am afraid to pick my frog up too, his jaw line is huge! It looks like a big mouth bass I bet it would hurt if I got bit. I just stuff his mouth with a snack first haha he can't chew and bite at the same time.
    Once or twice a month for cleaning only.
    Lmao!!! You completely underestimate their determination. If these frogs want to bite you a mouthful will not stop them. The other night I was spot cleaning for my youngest Ceratophrys aurita and with a worm still hanging out of it's mouth it still tried to bite me. I can assure you that even with food in their mouth or even a full belly that they can still get you.

Now that I've crushed your feelings of security Lol! how about going in and scooping up your frog.
    Last edited by GrifTheGreat; April 13th, 2013 at 10:44 AM.

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Quote Originally Posted by grifthegreat View Post
    how about going in and scooping up your frog.:d
    hahahahahahahahahah !!!!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

I will but somebody is gonna have to hold my beer .

Nationality
    [United States]

Hahaha ok I will keep a keen eye out now.lol

Locascio

LOL its really not as bad as you may think i myself have be bitten more than a few times and i can recall a time when i was hand feeding my 800 gram pixie frog crickits and (yes there was a lot of drinking be for all of this) i was showing off to a few friends how i could feed this huge frog without being hurt. will this day i wasint so lucky, ivee done this typ of thing a 100 times befor but of corse that day was the day i get bitten LOL anyway he locked on to my thumb and finger and held it for about ummm what felt like a life time. really about only a min or 2 but yes i was bleeding but ive been bitten by so meany other animals and i can say a frog bite is not in my top ten painfull bites.

Nationality
    [United States]

Mine pretty much refuses to bite me. She's stuck me with her tongue a couple times, but it's like once she realizes what she's got she'll just scrape my finger away from her with her hands and turn away with this disgusted look.
    She has no problem biting other people. Clearly, I taste horrible.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Mine pretty much refuses to bite me. She's stuck me with her tongue a couple times, but it's like once she realizes what she's got she'll just scrape my finger away from her with her hands and turn away with this disgusted look.
    She has no problem biting other people. Clearly, I taste horrible.
    Yeah we don't taste good to them. I believe the oils and salts secreted by our sweat glands disgusts them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Locascio View Post
    LOL its really not as bad as you may think i myself have be bitten more than a few times and i can recall a time when i was hand feeding my 800 gram pixie frog crickits and (yes there was a lot of drinking be for all of this) i was showing off to a few friends how i could feed this huge frog without being hurt. will this day i wasint so lucky, ivee done this typ of thing a 100 times befor but of corse that day was the day i get bitten LOL anyway he locked on to my thumb and finger and held it for about ummm what felt like a life time. really about only a min or 2 but yes i was bleeding but ive been bitten by so meany other animals and i can say a frog bite is not in my top ten painfull bites.
    I don't know Vince. Some of the large adilts pack quite a punch. Especially if they meant to bite you and start to chew. Doesn't hurt quite like a turtle or snake, but pretty close. The odontoids can do some damage.

mchell43

Hey have you picked him up yet? To be honest I have had mine 5 months and never been bitten. I can move the soil from in front of his face any time he is just so calm . Yours will get used to you if you give him his space . When I clean mine out I just do it around him then give him a nudge to move and he moves lol

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by mchell43 View Post
    Hey have you picked him up yet? To be honest I have had mine 5 months and never been bitten. I can move the soil from in front of his face any time he is just so calm . Yours will get used to you if you give him his space . When I clean mine out I just do it around him then give him a nudge to move and he moves lol
    Many will recognize their keeper and not bite. Others are so voratious that anything and everything looks like food including you. Some are just naturally aggressive and will attack.

Never say never. Eventually you will be bitten. Just be ready and don't freak out and throw the frog across the room.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Many will recognize their keeper and not bite.
    i would rephrase it - "Many will recognize their keeper and will bite." lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information