Thread: Hello All new to Frogs/toads need some help

AdamRiggs

Default Hello All new to Frogs/toads need some help

I decided to join this forum because it definitely seems like the most active/helpful that i have found so far. Basically i need a recommendation on what might be the right pet for me. I am new to frogs/toads i currently only have reptiles (2 leopard geckos, 1 albino corn snake). I have had 2 unfortunate gecko deaths lately :-( (liver disease, pregnancy complications), i now have 2 vacant vivs (a 20g long, and a regular 10g).

I am looking for something fairly easy to take care of since this will not be my only pet. I have been looking at the possibility of getting a pacman or a few fire bellies, since these seem like fairly good for ppl new to amphibians. I would like something a little more active so i was leaning towards the FB's but every time i see pics of a pacman i cant help but want 1.

Anyways what do you guys think? Is either of these head and shoulders above the other? Are there any other options i haven't been made aware of in terms of good starters?

Thanks in advance (sorry for the rambling)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Paul Rust

Default Re: Hello All new to Frogs/toads need some help

Welcome aboard. This is a very helpful and freindly forum. I don't have either of the animals you are considering so I will leave that to someone else. Just wanted to say hi and I know you will enjoy it here!

hyla

Hi! I know what you mean about wanting a pacman when you see pictures of them! I guess they are loved by some, but not a very active frog. I am sure you will be hearing from someone very soon on this!

Kurt

Go with fire-bellies! They are more active, comical, and you can keep more than one per enclosure. They never try to eat each other. Plus, we also have a fire-belly care article written by some wonderful, knowledgable guys. One, in particular, is a genus. LOL

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Welcome to the site, Adam, and thanks for the kind words. Of the two you mention, the most active is definitely the fire-bellied toads. Pacman frogs are very pretty but outside of feeding time they hardly ever move and they spend a lot of time hiding. Fire-bellies are always doing something and most are quite bold. You'll see what I mean if you visit a pet shop/pet store with the two different kinds. I agree though, Pacman frogs do look very impressive. They're a little more fragile than African Bullfrogs, another frog you might consider that is more active but similar in requirements to Pacmans (Pacmen?).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Tropicok

Hi Adam, glad you are here. I'm new to amphibians too. Started working with them as a volunteer at the local Zoo a year ago and became addicted. My first was a tree frog and I used the opportunity to plant a 10-gal jungle which I enjoy very much. I come into the herp room after dark and use a flashlight to watch the beautiful nocturnal frog. The next purchase were the 3 fire-bellied frogs after watching their daytime activity at the reptile pet store. I picked brightly colored frogs (they can be various shades of green & brown) and have laughed everyday since then. Having success (so far, crossing fingers) I got bold and bought a lovely turquoise dart froglet and haven't regretted the $35 spent. He is growing and becoming more social. My White's tree frog is also social and on the rare occasions when I hold it the sense of being connected to a world few of us understand is inspiring.

JeffX

Both are great beginner amphibians, but I have to agree Fire-bellies are much more active. If you want some amphibians to watch than they are the best bet between the two.

Jace

I currently have 7 Fire-bellies, and I owned a Pacman a couple of years ago. I will continue to have Fire-bellies, but I really doubt I will ever own a Pacman again. In terms of comical relief, the Fire-bellies live it up; they climb, jump, swim, wrestle, bark, and are basically small clowns. You will have much fun planning their new living spaces (this Forum will give you tons of ideas in that department and all we ask for in return are a few pictures!!) and then sit back and watch them check out their surroundings like kids in a playground. Obviously, my vote is with these little frogs-you will never regret it!
    Last edited by Jace; March 23rd, 2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Lack of spelling ability before coffee has kicked in.....

AdamRiggs

Wow thanks a lot for all the responses guys looks like my mind is made up haha fire bellies it is, i was kind of hoping that would be the consensus after looking at some of the cool vivs on here made for FB's i actually went out and purchased some aquarium gravel, tap water treatment and, plants in anticipation. I will probably pick up the filter and other necessary items on Friday when i get paid.

My girlfriend and I are going to a reptile/amphibian expo up in Manchester New Hampshire on April 11th, I noticed a few posts on the forum from people in the New England area. We have gone to one up in Manchester before but at the time were looking only for geckos, does anyone that might live in the area know if i will be able to pick up some Fire Bellies there? I would really prefer to get them from a breeder as opposed to pet----- so i know they are not wild caught. Or if not does anyone have any ideas where i might be able to find some captive bred FB's?

Thanks again everyone!

SethD

Quote Originally Posted by AdamRiggs View Post
    I would really prefer to get them from a breeder as opposed to pet----- so i know they are not wild caught. Or if not does anyone have any ideas where i might be able to find some captive bred FB's?
    It is possible you could get lucky and find some CB firebellies but it is not very likely. Breeding them isn't very difficult, you see CB frogs around occasionally, but most people don't bother given that wc's are readily available for as little as $5.00 or so. There is rarely much interest in captive breeding very inexpensive frogs for obvious reasons.

Jace

Unfortunately, like SethD has already said, it might be kind of hard to find CB Fire-bellies. So, your main goal is just to make sure that you pick healthy ones. Look for bright colours, bright eyes of even size (any eyes that look swelled out, stay away from!), bodies that are filled out but not so large they look bloated or keeps them from moving properly. I have come across some very skinny toads, and it would be best to stay away from ones that are obviously malnourished. They are a very curious, active frog, so they should be all over the place, especially if a hand drops into their enclosure. Their bellies should be a bright colour. Be sure to wash your hands with hot water before handling them and afterwards-remember, they will ooze toxins and some people do have reactions to it. If you can, look at several together and you will be able to see the variety of patterns available and the rich shades of green and brown they can come in. I've included a picture of my two-tone I found a few months ago I named Lichen-one of two females I have-to give you an idea of what combinations are in store. These are a great little toad and it's great to hear that you have chosen to give them a shot. Enjoy-and remember to post pics for all us nosy types!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

AdamRiggs

thanks again for the help guys i am still leaning towards FB's but am a little concerned about the whole Wild caught thing. I have tried a bunch of different vets around here and discovered that when it comes to cats and dogs they are fine but when it comes to reptiles and amphibians i end up paying $80 per visit for them to listen to whats going on and print me out a care sheet even thought i have read 1000 care sheets and follow directions down to the last detail in terms of husbandry.

Anyways i am still leaning to FB's like i said but after doing a little research on good beginner animals i am wondering if perhaps a whites tree frog might be a decent option. I realize i would have to buy a bigger viv once it grows up a little but people seem to love them and a lot of care sheets actually recommended them for beginners, plus it sounds like i could still make an interesting viv. Anyone know how readily available these are captive bred? and beginner friendly?

Tropicok

Adam, it gets into a vicious cycle when buying CB vs. WC. The frogs are someplace For Sale and I would rather see them purchased by someone who has done research and will provide a good home than an impulse buyer who will just let them die. Of course, this is going to happen sometimes. The reptile store I frequent advised me not to buy a veiled chameleon a couple of years ago because they knew I wasn't ready. Today they make sure I am aware of what's for sale knowing I can handle it or won't buy it at all. It's a hard fact that fire-bellies are usually about $5 apiece. A lot of fun for little money and a buyer hasn't lost a big investment with the first frog.

SethD

In the case of FBT's buying wc isn't really hurting the species in the wild so that shouldn't be worried about. They are an adaptable species and from what I understand huge numbers live and breed in the rice paddies(man made habitat) and collection for the trade doesn't seem to be an issue. Huge numbers have been regularly imported for years and years without the population suffering.

Kurt

Adam,
    I will be at the Manchester Show manning the NEHS table. I may be able to help you find healthy animals. I will be there first thing in the morning so I will be able to look through all the frogs for sale and know who has what for sale.
    For a vet you want to see Greg Mertz DVM, we will have his info at our table. So don't worry about buying WC caught stock.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I may be at the show too.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

AdamRiggs

thanks again for the replies guys i had the day off today an literally spent 3/4 of it on my comp doing research and then off to the pet store to get food for my albino corn snake, and price everything i would need to make my dream viv.

I know from this thread it seems like i am one of those people who just jumps from animal to animal and loses interest. I promise this is not the case i always consider a wide field of animals when i am looking for something new and then slowly narrow it as i go along. When i do make a new addition i am in it for the long haul, i recognize that we (my GF and i) are responsible for another life, and we dedicate everything we have to making our little buggers happy. I am looking to make my final decision probably by the weekend so i can have 3 weeks to start setting up and getting ready for my new addition.

Right now i am leaning in the direction of a whites tree frog. After researching today and getting to hold one when i went to the pet store today i think i have fallen in love. Plus everything i read says they are good beginner frogs.

Anyways thanks again everyone and sorry about the rambling haha.

AdamRiggs

And thanks Kurt i am definitely going to be stopping by the NEHS table i am in desperate need of a new vet who isn't just pretending to know what they are talking about. My GF and i are leaving early in the morning so we can get first pick (she wants a new leopard Gecko)!! She even made me take the day off of work haha. I will def be checking in from time to time before then and might private message you when it gets a little closer if that's all right with you?

Kurt

Yeah thats OK. Don't make up your mind just yet. There may be something at Manchester that you may not have considered before. I will be there to advise you and answer your questions. Don't buy anything untill you come talk to me. Vendors just want your money and many will tell you what you want to hear. I am there to promote the NEHS, NEWC/Greg Mertz DVM, educate people, and score some awesome frogs myself. So I won't BS you.

Don't worry about getting leopard geckos, Manchester is crawling with them. That and bearded dragons, crested geckos, Boa constrictors, ball pythons, and corn snakes.

Thread Information